Caravan Movers

Hippo

Hi All

Hopefully I can learn from your experiences. I have been looking at motor movers for my 1993 Abi Marauder Gold and cannot decide on the most suitable. I have looked at Reich and Powerproducts brochures at fitted movers, and studied the comments on the forum. However, does anyone have experience of the jockey wheel mounted movers such as bigfoot etc? Do they stow well after use so that they can travel with us?

I ask because our van is in secure storage 15miles from our home and we start our journey from here rather than bring the van home. I am looking at mechanical movers because parking the van is tricky and tight and I am conscious that my efforts at reversing into the space is burning the clutch on my Skoda Octavia 1. 9tdi estate. I am happy with straight line reversing but into a tight space is another matter!!

Looking forward to any comments.

Hippo

I am surprised that you have not had any response but this is probably because most are going for the fitted movers as they are more convenient.

A friend has the jockey wheel type but only uses it at home because it is too big, heavy and unwieldy to carry around. especially as it has it's own battery.

Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing anyone on a site using one.

Most manufacturers will give a demo, so I would ensure that you get one before making any decision.

Roger

I, like everyone, did a great deal of research into "movers", most of which lead me to believe that only the fixed types work satisfactorily. Although they cost more they do the job better, especially when the surface is less than solid & flat.

I think most of the fixed types have little to choose between them, so which brand will be a personal choice. I have a Truma fitted to a twin axle caravan that has had to move my caravan up an inclined drive in the wet, it performed with no problems. I think one would have to be fit & strong to move a caravan only using the jockey wheel and a motive unit attached to the front of the caravan. Even you youngsters out who think they can manage, it only takes a fraction of a second to put your back out, then what?

I apologies to all those folks out there who use non fixed movers without any problems, but it is only my opinion, I could not move my caravan up my drive with one of the portable types.

I have to manouver the van into a pretty tight spot at home. I can smell the clutch burning everytime I do it. I suppose a new cluth fitted for my Xantia would be about 3-4 hundred, is it worth spending a grand on a caravan mover? it seems an awfull lot of money for a couple of 12 volt electric motors!!

I have a powrtuch mover fitted, works a dream with a five year warranty, it would have cost me a lot of heartach without it.

I can get the caravan off, or on the drive without help, and in the early hours I can do it quietly. B)

I agree about the clutch, also what would the cost be if you hit something whilst reversing, or worst still, if I was to slip on the gravel (again) shoving it up my drive, :o

all in all I think that it was money well spent. :)

Paul

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi All

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I shall go for a fixed mover, probably Powrtouch, as the guarantee seems longer. The storage site I use is flat but gravel and if I was to use a jockey wheel mover I would have to carry it on my journeys as I tend to travel straight from the storage site.

Hippo

Worth checking with Powrtouch as they sell good reconditioned units. much cheaper than new and with a 3 yr warranty.

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

Hi All

Having studied the advice and opinions given on this forum and local dealers I have now ordered a Reich mover which is to be fitted to my van shortly. A big expense (a quarter of the overall price paid for the van) but hopefully further adding to the joys of caravanning. Cheers,

Hippo

I think one would have to be fit & strong to move a caravan only using the jockey wheel and a motive unit attached to the front of the caravan. Even you youngsters out who think they can manage, it only takes a fraction of a second to put your back out, then what?

8527[/snapback]

I have a caravan mover. Everyone has got one of mine. It is called my car! I too store my caravan in a tight spot which I have to reverse up the line of caravans and then go in to the space. It was interesting at first but after a few goes it is easy now. I havent burnt the clutch out yet. I have smelt it a few times if I go on the grass and start one wheel spinning (I have to wash the car then :-( ). It is also useful to be able to reverse so when your on a site I like to see all the faces of people watching me and thinking they will have entertaiment for the next half hour and don't. I have manouvered trailers of all shapes and sizes and once you learn the way to do it it is easy. Have you ever thought aboutthe Caravan Clubs manouvering course?

In some cases I feel a power mover can be very useful. I have a friend who keeps his up a very steep drive and to the left of a brick wall that he can't physicaly get his car in the right place.

I am not having a go at anyone for having one but I just feel that they are alot of money for an item that 75% of the time a car could do.

I hope your mover helps you out Hippo and happy caravanning.

Archived