Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The leaking roof strap was a common and well documented issue with the Unicorn series 3,  rectified by the fitting of a wider roof rail.

Has anyone had this issue on a series 4 Unicorn or is it safe to assume this problem is finally resolved? Thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ours is OK so far it's just 3years old.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ours is 3 years old and has just had a new roof strap fitted after leaking in storage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 664DaveS said:

Ours is OK so far it's just 3years old.

 

+1

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s all down to the number of fixings used. Once the issue was identified more fixings were used at tge factory and anyone with a leak had it fixed under warranty. I am sure a quick search will bring up the details.

 

It’s dead easy to check the number used, just remove the internal joint cover inside the caravan. (It pulls off easily from either end, and pushes back on just as easily ) 

 

 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To answer the OP, no, it's not fully put to bed. Counting the amount of fixings won't really tell you anything because it varies between layout & van width. They have used a wider strap for a number of years & now use a type of mastic that pulls off of a roll & doesn't fully cure, but, the water management caps at each end of the cap are still fitted using RV61 which can be prone to giving up & allowing water through. If the newer style straps leak you will find that 9 times out of 10 it's the cap leaking not the strap (but not always).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flinty said:

Counting the amount of fixings won't really tell you anything because it varies between layout & van width. 

 

 

This very issue was the subject of a thread I started a while back :D

 

 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

 

 

This very issue was the subject of a thread I started a while back :D

 

 

Hello Mr Plodd, thought you would be along pretty quick. I worked at Baileys for over 14 years & more than 4 years currently for a Bailey dealership, the fixing clamps are only there to hold the rail in place & not make a watertight seal. The type of sealant used is what makes it watertight, if you used 2 or 10 clamps on the rail it makes no difference if you use the wrong sealant or not enough of it. ( For my sins I was even part of the team that developed the Alutech system )

In fact you have spoken face to face to me on several occasions, you just don't know it !

Link to post
Share on other sites

You did also contributed to my original post linked to above!  Thanks for the detailed response, it clearly wasn’t you I spoke with on that occasion! 

 

Reckon I can work out where I have spoken to you! I shall be sure to confirm that on my next visit ! 

 

Did you come to my house (near your storage) a while back to remove a security bolt bolt??

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

You did also contributed to my original post linked to above!  Thanks for the detailed response, it clearly wasn’t you I spoke with on that occasion! 

 

Reckon I can work out where I have spoken to you! I shall be sure to confirm that on my next visit ! 

 

Did you come to my house (near your storage) a while back to remove a security bolt bolt??

Your the ex policeman, put your deerstalker on & when you think your talking to me, just ask me. You are either gonna look really smug or embarrassed when you get your answer. Now there's a challenge for you !!

Might see you soon, or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Flinty said:

Your the ex policeman, put your deerstalker on & when you think your talking to me, just ask me. You are either gonna look really smug or embarrassed when you get your answer. Now there's a challenge for you !!

Might see you soon, or not.

 

I look forward to it! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for response to my post.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...