Tyres - GTKargoMax?

A11

It is new tyre time.  The caravan currently has Michelins, but those don't seem to be available any more (185R14).

The local tyre centre are offering GT Kargomax.   Has anyone tried them?  Any good?

The alternative seems to be Continental van contact 100 for a little bit extra.  Or perhaps Hankook?

Get them to confirm the manufacture date on them is as recent as possible.  Y 2021 ideally but wk40 of 2020 or later if possible, whatever brand you opt for.  http://www.gtradial.com/global/News-and-Media-Center/1241

My caravan has GT Radial Maxmiler Pros on with no issues. GT Radial are a mid-range brand.

DO get the wheels balanced.

Maxxis Trailermaxx as here. Fitted from new on my Bailey U4 Seville.

Note that 185R14 will usually these days be found as 185/80R14 or more often 185/80R14C. They are 104/102 load index (900Kg per tyre on single axle) and N speed rated (87mph).

No matter what brand you buy, you won't wear them out, and road holding is not an issue, because all they do is follow your towcar.

Had them on our previous van for many years and never had any problems.  Even when we changed them after 19000 miles at 7 years old, they were still in good condition with no  cracks between the treads or on the side walls.  They were also fitted by Lunar as standard on our current van and we continue to be very happy with them.

Personally I don't like them as they started cracking at (I think) 3 to 4 years old.

Certainly early.

Lunar Clubman, as fitted from new.

Take your pick!

• 3 weeks later...

I have GT radial savero tyres on mine, its got to have been at least three years since i had them fitted, no signs of cracking or anything like that, they seem to be a very good tyre.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just had 3 of those tyres fitted last week as ours were reaching their 5th birthday.  New ones dated 50/20 so only 4 months old. They look fine to me. Didn't have a lot of choice to be honest, not where we live anyway. 

The spare had never been used but to my surprise that was dated 19 years ago ! A wake up call or me to check the spare however good it may look.

Edited by Drodge

Yes have GT Kargo max fitted. The local tyre company also ensured they were less than y months old,  very pleased, took the tyres off the van and left them with the fitter £85.00 which also included messing around with our Tyron bands.

Just fitted Kargomax  to my Coachman.I purchased them from Asda tyres for around £72 each.Fitting was £18.00 and tyre fitter came to storage site.

When google searching they can be found under GT Radial.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got to get  new tyres for my 2012 Valencia, as Michelin’s are no longer available my local tyre dealer recommended Hankook. Has anybody used these. Quoted £85 each inc balancing. 

Hankook are a very large tyre manufacturer with a growing reputation for quality and are now regarded almost as a premium product. I've had them on my previous twin axle and was very happy with all aspects.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Audi sometimes use Hankook as o/e fit tyres. 

6 minutes ago, Flatcoat888 said:

Audi sometimes use Hankook as o/e fit tyres. 

As do Kia/Hyundai.  Their Hankook tyres are made in Hungary.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup had kargomax last couple of years and zero issues no cracking, nothing. Do the job well for the price. Commercial tyres so the loading is quite  high on them too.