Shortage of Calor cylinders??

Mr Plodd

5 hours ago, 8ftWanderer said:

I’m tempted to carry one of each and enjoy the savings that Energas offer but have Calor onboard for adventures further afield.

It all depends on how much gas you use. As already said, we use about 2 Kg on a 3 week outing so a 3.9 Kg would last us over 5 weeks ( we don't go off grid). We only carry both cylinders when the one in use is less than half full or we have a longer trip planned.

6 hours ago, David 38 said:

If we all go to Energis and get full bottle at £18 with no exchanging an Energas bottle then they going to run out quick.

Looks like Calor already have :rolleyes:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just going back to original post.....

Had a trip to Attwools camping shop today.

Its in Whitminster just south of Gloucester on A38.

They had plenty of calor 3.9kg and 6kg bottles👍

Short supply in Suffolk, but just by luck, a phone call to a not obvious retailer, had 3 in stock.

Marquis told me calor has 20000 bottles on order.

best they hurry up before the holiday season really starts

On 13/04/2021 at 16:18, GaryB1969 said:

Great...... our caravan propane is empty, better get on the hunt for a replacement!  This time last year it was toilet rolls................

Ha ha.

I need to pick up a 6kg propane this morning.

Fortunately, the garage, 200yds up the road from the site we're on, has 5 in stock. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread. Typical of most supply industries; they are only geared up to supply steady, known, predictable demand. The minute demand spikes, or supply is restricted, everything goes to pot. Never mind the thousands of leisure users like ourselves who come to rely on these suppliers and expect to be able to buy when needed. 

Calor have told me that a lot of new caravan and motorhome owners taking out new cylinder rental agreements have reduced the stock of spare cylinders in circulation. Apparently the only factory making cylinders for them in the EU has also shut down. Finally, LPG is a by-product of oil refining and as demand for oil fell during the pandemic, there is less LPG available. 

Last week I managed to swap a 6kg Calor Lite for a 6kg steel, but it took several arguments and a phone call to Calor before the supplier agreed. 

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted Calor making an apology for their ongoing supply issues in the press yesterday, unsurprisingly Covid restrictions and demand being the big issues…..

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1449921/Gas-shortage-BBQ-UK-latest-Calor-cylinder-supply-delay-motor-homes-caravans-update

Cheers, Martin

Victims of their own Monopoly??? 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

23 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Victims of their own Monopoly??? 

Well the wise know of Flogas :-)

Calor not admitting their own failure with the light ones.

Seems that Calor are the only major company still 100% affected by  Covid, after all they can’t possibly be expected to operate outdoors in their depots while everyone is going in there with the virus. They’ve worked out that the virus is much more transmitable in the open air. 

At the middle of lockdown last year I had two Calor bottles, one full and the other half full.

I was given an empty Calor Light bottle, and managed to exchange it at my caravan dealer for a full one.

Now, a year later I still have 2 x full & 1 x half full bottles as we don't seem to use any gas in the caravan.

7 hours ago, JCCD said:

I was given an empty Calor Light bottle, and managed to exchange it at my caravan dealer for a full one.

Now, a year later I still have 2 x full & 1 x half full bottles as we don't seem to use any gas in the caravan.

:Plus1:

A single plate induction hob, and a Remoska. The only thing we now use gas for is our Cadac Safari Chef. Long time since I bought any gas (I currently have 2x full and 1x 3/4 full Calor Lite’s) 

I heard via a friend of friend who’s neighbour works at our local Calor depot that the problem with Calor lite’s is that once builders etc found out about them they started asking for them. When empty they would simply sling them off scaffolding, or into the back of their vans without a thought. The cylinders were never designed for that abuse and suffered damage which meant they failed their integrity test when they got back to be refilled, so got withdrawn from circulation. The end result is that Calor Lite’s are now a fast dwindling resource for caravan owners. As more and more caravanners are becoming more reliant on, or are tending to  use more EHU (like me) Calor are not going to invest in any new system of lightweight cylinders. Can’t really blame them I suppose.

I have looked at refillable, but the writing is writ large in the walls for them now, Total fuel stations in France won’t permit them to be filled and the locations in the U.K. you get refill them are diminishing as well. 

Frustratingly our caravan doesn't have an electric hob, just gas hobs.

I use an induction hob for outside cooking, can't be bothered using the Cadac Safari now, plus I'd rather use the site electricity than use our gas.

Let's face it, between gas shortages and the switch to EVs our pass time is doomed, Capt Mainwaring, doomed 

We should go all electric.

Get rid of the bottled gas system completely, and the oven/grill/hob. Simply have microwave and induction hob.  If you want more, buy it as a plug in item. Get rid of the gas fridge,  gas heating.  Get rid of the 12V system and huge batteries completely and use rechargeable batteries for the motor movers (same as power tools). Look at all the weight saving and cost reduction !

5 minutes ago, Ern said:

You will have to count me out of that as I'm sometimes on a site with no electric hook up.

Sometimes with just a water tap and a place to empty toilet in a field.

20 minutes ago, Ern said:

Get rid of the bottled gas system completely, and the oven/grill/hob. Simply have microwave and induction hob.  If you want more, buy it as a plug in item. Get rid of the gas fridge,  gas heating.  Get rid of the 12V system and huge batteries completely and use rechargeable batteries for the motor movers (same as power tools). Look at all the weight saving and cost reduction !

All well and good but.........

Many campsites struggle to supply the current (geddit?) electrical needs of campers, and/or restrict the current available, so they would need to substantially beef up their infrastructure, and who will get shafted for that cost do you think?? No such thing as a free anything these days.

1 hour ago, JCCD said:

Frustratingly our caravan doesn't have an electric hob, just gas hobs.

I use an induction hob for outside cooking, can't be bothered using the Cadac Safari now, plus I'd rather use the site electricity than use our gas.

You haven’t missed much! Got an electric hob on our cooker, Trouble is the “hole” through the grid over the top of the electric plate is too piggin small for anything other than a thimble to fit through, carp design ! 

Microwave, induction hob and a Remoska .

Not much you can’t do using any combination of those (other than BBQ stuff, and that’s what our little Cadac is for) 

10 hours ago, Ern said:

Guess you never use non-electric sites then?  

Edited by Cheltenham Caravanner

Get rid of gas and get a 5kw generator and a fuel bowser. Simples.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

I use flogas, I find the cylinders are cheaper and have had no issue with availabilty of cylinders or finding a supplier when away from home. 

On 16/06/2021 at 22:27, Ern said:

I seem to remember that one manufacturer made an all electric caravan but it only lasted one year, it may have been Elddis.

6 hours ago, Hoddy said:

I seem to remember that one manufacturer made an all electric caravan but it only lasted one year, it may have been Elddis.

It was Bailey with what they termed an Evo Orion, back in 2012. They were that unpopular that many Bailey dealers wouldn't order them. Leisure Sales bought three and two sold relatively quickly, but one hung around for more than 18 months and was eventually sold at a substantial discount.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two 13kg and 1 7kg gas bottles spare. Located in central Fife Scotland.

Went into a caravan dealer in Kingswood Bristol yesterday and they were stacked out with all sizes of full Calor bottles!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!