Shortage of Calor cylinders??

Mr Plodd

Our local Calor depot is closed to the public at the moment due to engineering work, they told me they should reopen later in the year.

They gave me the number of one of their agents. I called him and he swapped my 13kg butane for the bbq. He is happy to change butane for a propane.

Great guy who comes to you.

The local depot is Budget Gas , who do their own but are a Calor depot too.

Our caravan dealer changed a 6kg butane for a propane as they advised me to and its a bit cheaper!

I have the propane pigtail,which came with the van. As we had butane on trade in van, they took the connector off the old van. 

Still have one butane in the van but that will be changed to propane too once its empty.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aren't I glad that I dumped Calor. :D     Here in West Yorkshire we have an alternative supplier to Calor, they are Energas. I changed to them a few years ago, I have a 3.9Kg and a 6Kg cylinder (both were deposit free at the time) and use around 2Kg on an average 3 week "adventure". I haven't had to exchange either for a while so do not know what the current price is but, as I have an account with them, the cost was roughly half the price of Calor (£10.80 for a 6Kg in 2019). No connection to the company other than as a happy customer.

This appeared this morning on my Facebook from my Bailey dealer.

"

Leeds Caravan Centre

9 h  · 

Calor Gas bottles wanted! Check your sheds and garages, friends and neighbours for any Calor branded bottles that are gathering dust. We’re desperately short of empties to return to Calor so much so that they haven’t enough to replenish supplies. Please get in touch if you have any Calor branded bottles or drop them into us for return. Calor branded only. Thank you. "

Posted (edited)

After phoning round all week, with local suppliers not even knowing how many cylinders (or indeed any) they’d get from Calor, I managed to get one by calling at opening time this morning and driving to get a 6kg Propane. They had 2 delivered and available so bought one on exchange. PHEW!

Where I am, it seemed like my chances were better at smaller / local shops and petrol stations rather than larger more obvious distributors.

Edited by BM Bairn

Are Flowgas & Calor regulators fitting the same ?

16 minutes ago, tonyradstone said:

Are Flowgas & Calor regulators fitting the same ?

Depends on the type of gas cylinder... 

https://www.flogas.co.uk/shop/category/regulators

https://appliances.calor.co.uk/calor-essentials/gas-regulators.html

Amazing what Google can find ;)

43 minutes ago, tonyradstone said:

Are Flogas & Calor regulators fitting the same ?

For my 3.9 kg and 6 kg propane they are.

9 minutes ago, David 38 said:

For my 3.9 kg and 6 kg propane they are.

Many thanks, they looked the same in the links that Rodders53 sent.

Going away off grid for 2 weeks next Sunday and one of my bottles only has 200g of gas left.

I rang the garage up the road from the 1st site we are staying at, to enquire about 6kg propane Calor bottles.

They said 'How many do you want?'

Shhh! You will start a Klondike type “Cylinder rush!” 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

My local had a shortage specifically of 6kg bottles . The rest were fine. 

Luckily for me I had a couple of spare 3.9 bottles so using these for now instead. The 3.9s seem to be easy to get hold of too. 

10 minutes ago, bnar21 said:

The 3.9s seem to be easy to get hold of too. 

Not surprising, given the price of a refill :(

5 minutes ago, MalH said:

Not surprising, given the price of a refill :(

Cos t £18 for 3.9 or £23 for the 6kgs so didn't work out too much more

On 04/05/2021 at 21:19, Mr Plodd said:

I would imagine any Calor Depot (not retail outlet) would be happy to sell a cylinder and refill agreement. Again, it only takes a phone call. 

There are enough empty cylinders around on eBay etc. As long as you can pick one up for less than what Calor want then that’s the way to go. 

Thanks for the the clarification regarding Jewsons, but it’s worth remembering they have them if you are ever in need of a refill. 

I forgot to come back re these points - Calor are blanket not providing new cylinders atm (thats including Calor centres), only exchanges are being offered. This is until the section 141 is lifted and no date announced yet.

On 05/05/2021 at 07:51, VOLVOVANNER said:

The lady did say that Calor told them last week they are no longer filling any empty Lite’s. Not sure how true this is but that is what she said.

Not true, but Calor are running them out meaning as they are scrapped they are not replaced so they will dwindle away as they fail pressure checks (I think thats old news tho).

Cheers, Martin

32 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

Not true, but Calor are running them out meaning as they are scrapped they are not replaced so they will dwindle away as they fail pressure checks (I think thats old news tho).

Well they should replace them, not helping this situation having less in total.

8 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Well they should replace them, not helping this situation having less in total.

They had a problem with service life Dave

Cheers, Martin

44 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

I had a conversation with Calor head office a few years ago when the first Calorlite shortage took hold. I was told that the suppliers were not checking what the cylinders were being used for as the "Lites" were designed specifically for caravanners, but the suppliers were letting anyone have them.

As they were lighter than the steel cylinders roofers and builders were taking them  and the treatment they got being thrown off rooves and chucked in the back of a van meant the intended service life was severely curtailed.

I was told that during the shortage if someone with an empty Lite went for a replacement, if they showed their CMC or C&CC card they would be allowed a Lite if they had them in stock, otherwise they would be offered a steel as a replacement.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

I was told that during the shortage if someone with an empty Lite went for a replacement, if they showed their CMC or C&CC card they would be allowed a Lite if they had them in stock, otherwise they would be offered a steel as a replacement.

Well that’s certainly worth trying at exchange time (probably only at a Calor centre rather than a retailer) 

I am well set at the moment. I have two lite’s  and a pal has just sold his caravan and kindly given me his Lite. My 2 are 100% full and the one currently in use about 85% As we make best use of EHU our gas usage is minimal, just use it for the oven and Cadac. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I had a problem my supplier had no calor and no delivery date but did I want to take Energas same 6kg propane bottle without deposit or form filling. At £18 I am sure there is a saving to be had as well

15 minutes ago, Old20 said:

I had a problem my supplier had no calor and no delivery date but did I want to take Energas same 6kg propane bottle without deposit or form filling. At £18 I am sure there is a saving to be had as well

Did you have to leave your Calor bottle in exchange for Energas or take it away?

17 minutes ago, Old20 said:

Will you be able to find an Energas supplier as easily as a Calor supplier anywhere in the country when you need a refill and did the Calor agent say they would change it back over if you needed to in the future ?

If we all go to Energis and get full bottle at £18 with no exchanging an Energas bottle then they going to run out quick.

29 minutes ago, Old20 said:

Energas same 6kg propane bottle

Am I right to assume that the Energas runs on the same connectors and regulators as the Calor?

Just now, 8ftWanderer said:

Am I right to assume that the Energas runs on the same connectors and regulators as the Calor?

The 6Kg and 3.9Kg have the same connectors as the same size Calor.

21 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Did you have to leave your Calor bottle in exchange for Energas or take it away?

I don't know what happened there but, no Energas were not interested in taking the empty Calors off my hands.

DOH!!!

I’m tempted to carry one of each and enjoy the savings that Energas offer but have Calor onboard for adventures further afield.