Shortage of Calor cylinders??

Mr Plodd

Most Jewson depots carry Calor Butane And Propane cylinders of both sizes, and some even carry Calor Lite cylinders! 

Not a lot of people know that ! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did manage to get a 6 Ltd propane yesterday had to swop calor light for regular bottle they had 4 delivered first guy unwanted all 4 they would not sell them to him as others my self included had pre ordered.

• 2 weeks later...

This year we are ok having two full cylinders, , but in the last shortage we found garden centres, builders merchants and plant hire shops had stock when leisure outlets had none.  Maybe prioritising those whose livelihood depends on getting gas?

We are picking first motorhome up tomorrow and have only just become aware that there is a shortage of gas bottles.  So we are getting desperate now as to what to do,  nobody seems to be selling new bottles. Can anybody suggest anything ? 

4 minutes ago, Sherman said:

We are picking first motorhome up tomorrow and have only just become aware that there is a shortage of gas bottles.  So we are getting desperate now as to what to do,  nobody seems to be selling new bottles. Can anybody suggest anything ? 

Reading above most companies only seem to give one out on an exchange basis so might be worth looking on Ebay facebook market place etc paying attention to location to you and which make of bottle it is/which gas etc.

27 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Reading above most companies only seem to give one out on an exchange basis so might be worth looking on Ebay facebook market place etc paying attention to location to you and which make of bottle it is/which gas etc.

Think if you read back several ways of getting an empty one can be used.

As yours in a new motorhome and your new to this I presume and not traded a caravan if you had you would have kept bottle(s) back, I would ask your dealer to start you off with a new bottle.

I guess you will be desperate to go away so if your not worried about a bit extra cost use Google to find a local bottle supplier who is not Calor or Flogas and get one of his.  Of course you will be only able in future to refill it from him but it will get you away.

30 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Ebay prices are way up for empty bottles...

Posted (edited)

I totally agree gtepete but its supply and demand with regard to anything caravan/motorhome related atm!

Edited by charlieboy2608

Posted (edited)

Look on Facebook market place as well, I picked up a full 15kg Butane the other day, for free!!! Didn’t know it was full till I collected it :D

Jewsons sell Calor cylinders, not sure if it’s exchange only though. Worth a phone call. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

1 minute ago, Mr Plodd said:

Jewsons sell Calor cylinders, not sure if it’s exchange only though. Worth a phone call. 

As per my earlier post on this topic, if Jewsons do say they can sell a new cylinder it’s certainly not as Calor have instructed dealers, in fact the CRA (customer refill agreement) would be unable to be processed on Calor’s systems. Used is about the only option atm 

Calor have confirmed that are operating a 141 policy meaning you can only get a refill full if you have an empty - I suspect this is simply to ensure supply and avoid the issues last summer.

As a bi-product of the decision the used and unwanted/disregarded cylinders at skips/ebay/facebook etc may all come back into circulation so hopefully at least those with cylinders should be OK - not sure how the newbies will cope but suspect there are still plenty to be found for those who look hard enough.

Cheers, Martin

I would imagine any Calor Depot (not retail outlet) would be happy to sell a cylinder and refill agreement. Again, it only takes a phone call. 

There are enough empty cylinders around on eBay etc. As long as you can pick one up for less than what Calor want then that’s the way to go. 

Thanks for the the clarification regarding Jewsons, but it’s worth remembering they have them if you are ever in need of a refill. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I would imagine any Calor Depot (not retail outlet) would be happy to sell a cylinder and refill agreement. Again, it only takes a phone call. 

That’s an interesting one and I’d hope Calor Centres follow the same Calor 141 policy as its retail network. It would be grossly unfair business if they did but expect the unexpected! The entire purpose is to ensure supply based on crazy current demand. 

Cheers, Martin

I can confirm a shortage of Calor 6kg full cylinders in Norfolk. Visited around 12 retail outlets at the weekend around Norwich and none had Propane (they may have had Butane - i did not ask tbh as wanted Propane). They will only swap same type bottles ie propane for propane not propane for butane or vice versa. I did eventually find one at the nearest (and busiest) retailer - a garage, nearest to home but that was their last one. I had to swap my Calor Lite for it and that did not seem to cause an issue although tbh i am not sure the young lady assistant knew the difference.

I spoke to local CMC club site and they said they have 6kg propane bottles but they allow no visitors so can only exchange if you are on site. The lady did say that Calor told them last week they are no longer filling any empty Lite’s. Not sure how true this is but that is what she said.

1 minute ago, VOLVOVANNER said:

The lady did say that Calor told them last week they are no longer filling any empty Lite’s. Not sure how true this is but that is what she said.

Hmmm not sure that’s true, maybe a local issue. I’ll try and find out.

Cheers, Martin

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record.........

Jewsons and other builders merchants, Sydenham hire etc carry Calor cylinders. 

I get around a lot of Jewson yards, I have never seen them not having 6kg Propane, a precious few have/had Calor Lite’s

44 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I get around a lot of Jewson yards, I have never seen them not having 6kg Propane, a precious few have/had Calor Lite’s

Good info for those looking.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Our local CMC centre - East Riding of Yorkshire - had an arrangement with Jewsons in Beverley for discounts for members.  Last time I used the facility - 2 or 3 years ago, before I moved over to Safefill - I was paying something like £14 for a replacement 6kg propane.  I wonder if any other Centres have such an arrangement?

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

A degree of irony here, prompted by this thread I thought I would return 5 empty Calor gas bottles but, they aren’t taking returns! Also, the main Calor centres are still closed even though retail is allowed to be open. The guy I spoke to did seem as mystified as me and was still waiting for some guidance on opening from Calor themselves but nothing so far.

29 minutes ago, Stagn8 said:

Also, the main Calor centres are still closed even though retail is allowed to be open. The guy I spoke to did seem as mystified as me and was still waiting for some guidance on opening from Calor themselves but nothing so far.

Indeed the Calor depot in Birkenhead is still shuttered and when I spoke on the phone they gave the impression that they won't be reopening any time soon 'because of Covid'.  Screwfix next door has been operating on a C&C basis throughout the pandemic and their service is brilliant. I can't see what difference there is in bottled gas supplies compared with construction hardware.  IMO  there should be a monopolies investigation into what amounts to a restrictive practice, which I believe has price gouging as its aim.

20 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Can you tell me price of exchange 6 kg propane as I can't find it on their website. Thanks

It’s while ago how that I purchased a refill from Jewsons and I don’t remember. It was comparable to a Calor centre to the best of my knowledge, but I cannot give you a specific. A quick phone call to your local Jewsons should answer your query

46 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Can you tell me price of exchange 6 kg propane as I can't find it on their website. Thanks

If it helps most are £24.50 (6kg) and  £27.50 (6kg Lite) - you may find a bit better and you may find a lot worse!!

As above give them a call and let us know, always interested to see how these prices fluctuate!

Cheers, Martin

22 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

If it helps most are £24.50 (6kg) and  £27.50 (6kg Lite) - you may find a bit better and you may find a lot worse!!

As above give them a call and let us know, always interested to see how these prices fluctuate!

I believe these to be the recommended prices by Calor for the steel but for Lite they no longer have one.

My local sort of main dealer has both at your prices with free delivery.

My recent Flogas delivered from Flogas direct was £21.66 for 6 kg steel.