Shortage of Calor cylinders??

Message added by CT Advertising,

caravan-company-medium.jpg We buy caravans for cash
Looking to sell your second hand caravan? The Caravan Company is always looking to purchase quality second hand caravans. We offer great part exchange packages so that you can trade in your second hand caravans for an updated model selected from our huge range of stock at any one of our branches with no hassle. www.thecaravancompany.com

21 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

They can as long as in the same group

Can and Will are two different things!

It's always been the same since first I wanted to change from butane to propane back in the 90s - the North Watford Calor agent said "No" - despite Calor's own exchange policy saying "Yes".

A call to the Hemel Hempstead Old Town agent said "Yes" so off I trudged to do the deed.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whenever I wanted to swop Butane for Propane or vice versa I always went to a Calor Depot (and not a local dealer) and they always obliged without quibble. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

1 hour ago, Rodders53 said:

Can and Will are two different things!

It's always been the same since first I wanted to change from butane to propane back in the 90s - the North Watford Calor agent said "No" - despite Calor's own exchange policy saying "Yes".

A call to the Hemel Hempstead Old Town agent said "Yes" so off I trudged to do the deed.

Yep retailers will do what they like and a CRA is faff (then they have to get another cylinder etc), but they do make money out of it (on top of the gas) so its still worthwhile. As its complex they likely just decide that exchanges only, very simple that way. It's actually very easy once you know how.

I must admit my (limited) experience has been the opposite of yours, not many have quibbled over same group swaps. I am amazed the clubs would behave that way but I guess the local wardens have the final say on the local process maybe??

Cheers, Martin

Need to move to Safefill. I now have 3 x 10kg bottles.

Caravan, Patio Heater and BBQ.

Paying about £12 for a 10kg fill. 

2 hours ago, P101 said:

I only use at most 1 6kg bottle of propane a year so Safefil doesn't stack up for me. £180 for a bottle and saving say £20 for each refill means it will be 2030 before it pays for itself - assuming you can still get LPG by then.

Land Rover - getting restless.

11 minutes ago, OWOMW said:

I only use at most 1 6kg bottle of propane a year so Safefil doesn't stack up for me. £180 for a bottle and saving say £20 for each refill means it will be 2030 before it pays for itself - assuming you can still get LPG by then.

I hear you.

But the sheer price gouging from Calor makes the investment worth it purely as a matter of principle - and of course convenience!!! 

I was quoted £55 for a 13kg Calor green patio, about £15 worth of LPG from a petrol station or about half of that for a fill from a domestic supplier.

On the continent where leccie is mainly metered it's cheaper running the van on LPG via the Safefill than using the hook-up!

3 hours ago, P101 said:

Safefill not really an option when the nearest supplier is 20+ miles away.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

9 hours ago, PR1 said:

Also not an option when Bailey make locker door too small to get Safefil and BP lite bottles through!

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

9 hours ago, P101 said:

On the continent where leccie is mainly metered it's cheaper running the van on LPG via the Safefill than using the hook-up!

Travelled extensively on the continent over the last ten years and never have I come across metered electricity.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, PR1 said:

:Plus1:

For many years, whilst running various Motorhomes (with plenty of payload) I used Gaslow systems. The main reason being that for a lot of the time we were not on EHU, and the convenience of being able to refill, at a time of my choice, at many continental fuel stations made it very appealing.

These days I have a caravan (so have to manage with a frankly pathetic payload) With a caravan I am pretty much tied to caravan sites which have EHU (yes I know about CL’s etc but prefer not to be in just a field, others feel differently) I have invested in a Remoska and a single induction hob. The former being just 400 watts and the latter up to 2Kw. (And a slow cooker at about 80 watts) All of which also get used extensively at home, where we have domestic solar panels to power them. The outlay fir them was about £130 so only a bit less than a Safefill (or similar) cylinder, but with EHU being included in just about every campsite there is no additional cost involved (gas refills) 

Making use of just the induction hob and slow cooker (prior to buying the Remoska) and using electricity for hot water we completed an eight week continental trip and used, in total, just under 3kg of gas, mostly for the Cadac even though we had taken 2 x Calor lite’s. 

There is no facility for about 20 miles where I can top up a refillable cylinder, and the number of fuel stations on the continent (and even more so in the U.K.)  offering that facility are gradually reducing. It therefore makes better long term financial sense (for me) to continue as I am doing and use  (the included) campsite  EHU. On some continental sites there is only 6. Amps available, so it does sometimes take a bit of juggling  so as not to trip the supply, but it’s not difficult once you get into the habit.

Having used them extensively in the past I fully understand, and accept the advantages of Safefill and similar, but it’s important to realise that not everyone uses their caravans in the same way. A fair few, like us, actually prefer to use caravan sites, and the associated  EHU (at no additional cost) rather than gas which is an additional (and to my view unnecessary) cost. It just seems daft to me to use gas for anything when there is a ready supply of electricity on hand.

Of course if we used (cheaper) CL’s etc without EHU the calculations would make a refillable gas cylinder much more appealing/sensible, and I don’t decry anyone who uses them as I did for many years. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

1 hour ago, PR1 said:

Travelled extensively on the continent over the last ten years and never have I come across metered electricity.

Interesting. We must be staying at the wrong sites...

10 hours ago, PR1 said:

Frankly I'd rather travel 20 miles than give my hard earned cash to Calor.

1 hour ago, PR1 said:

Nearly all the sites in Austria and Germany that we have visited were metered. It can be a real pain when departing because you have to summon a man to read the meter, often also unlocking your EHU cable, and then wait for him to tell reception, before you can check out.

(Ferienparadies at Natters was an exception - the reading was done remotely).

Land Rover - getting restless.

17 minutes ago, OWOMW said:

Nearly all the sites in Austria and Germany that we have visited were metered. It can be a real pain when departing because you have to summon a man to read the meter, often also unlocking your EHU cable, and then wait for him to tell reception, before you can check out.

(Ferienparadies at Natters was an exception - the reading was done remotely).

I have obviously been lucky then. Most of my travels were in France.

Big Brother who reads our posts and all other things we do on internet must be reading as out of the blue possibly the biggest supplier of Calor in this area as sent me an advert for suppling refills.

6kg Lite at £27.50 and 6kg steel £24.50 overall advert suggests delivered free, guess I would have to order to know if free, would I beat these quotes?

I know both in same group what do think my chance of ordering a 6kg Lite and returning my 6kg steel and not having hassle with driver when he delivers?

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

16 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Big Brother who reads our posts and all other things we do on internet must be reading as out of the blue possibly the biggest supplier of Calor in this area as sent me an advert for suppling refills.

6kg Lite at £27.50 and 6kg steel £24.50 overall advert suggests delivered free, guess I would have to order to know if free, would I beat these quotes?

I know both in same group what do think my chance of ordering a 6kg Lite and returning my 6kg steel and not having hassle with driver when he delivers?

100%  fine in Calor terms and those prices are bang on Calor’s maximum SRP. Free delivery of one cylinder seems unlikely to me but stranger things happen. As for the driver quibbling with you; as we have been saying above the retailers own rules will ultimately apply so who knows! They may have a like for like policy during the current climate? Perhaps a call to clarify would be best all round to save everyone’s time. 

Cheers, Martin

21 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

Perhaps a call to clarify would be best all round 

:Plus1:

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

On 15/04/2021 at 13:29, David 38 said:

(PS.  Flogas gave me 5% discount on their listed price and will charge later after delivery, not upfront.)

Flogas just e-mailed they will deliver Monday, so that's quick service.

Regards, David

On 16/04/2021 at 08:46, PR1 said:

Never been Germany or Luxembourg then?

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

1 minute ago, MalH said:

Never been Germany or Luxembourg then?

I have been to both and never had metered lekkie ! 

Since clearing out my late fathers house a few years ago I've had a number of 13 or 15 kg butane cylinders both Calor and Flogas . Without the original service agreement Calor say their dealers will pay £7.50 for each returned cylinder. We have 3 independant calor dealers nearby (2 garages and a builder supply) all said they would take the cylinders but wouldnt pay the £7.50. The other was B and Q who had never heard of the scheme.

It wasnt worth getting the trailer out and driving to anyone to get rid. 

One was rusty , whilst it stood on the drive as I was tidying up, a neighbour asked if I'd take a tenner for it as he needed a spare one for a new BBQ.

I advertised the others on social media and over the last week theyve nearly all gone for £20 to £30  each.

Unless the dealers are prepared to pass on the cash benefits for empty unused cylinders, they will just end up sat around the back of garages like mine were.

6 minutes ago, Towtug said:

Since clearing out my late fathers house a few years ago I've had a number of 13 or 15 kg butane cylinders both Calor and Flogas . Without the original service agreement Calor say their dealers will pay £7.50 for each returned cylinder. We have 3 independant calor dealers nearby (2 garages and a builder supply) all said they would take the cylinders but wouldnt pay the £7.50. The other was B and Q who had never heard of the scheme.

It wasnt worth getting the trailer out and driving to anyone to get rid. 

One was rusty , whilst it stood on the drive as I was tidying up, a neighbour asked if I'd take a tenner for it as he needed a spare one for a new BBQ.

I advertised the others on social media and over the last week theyve nearly all gone for £20 to £30  each.

Unless the dealers are prepared to pass on the cash benefits for empty unused cylinders, they will just end up sat around the back of garages like mine were.

To get the £7.50 you must return them to a Calor Centre. You can search on Calor’s website and apply a filter of “Calor centre”

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/advice/returns#gas-bottle-returns

Cheers, Martin

52 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

To get the £7.50 you must return them to a Calor Centre. You can search on Calor’s website and apply a filter of “Calor centre”

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/advice/returns#gas-bottle-returns

Yep. That's the tool I used.

7 hours ago, Towtug said:

Yep. That's the tool I used.

Yes I assumed that but my point was you have to go to a "Calor Centre" for the refund, not Calor retailers or dealers as you called them (you said We have 3 independent Calor dealers nearby (2 garages and a builder supply) but wouldn't pay the £7.50. The other was B and Q who had never heard of the scheme)

On the Calor link above apply a filter to the search for Calor Centre only and thats where you get £7.50 back ;) ((not that you care now of course lol - you managed to get more as they are in demand AND because Calor (and retailers) charge around £40 for a new bottle + the price of the refill on top)). 

Cheers, Martin

My 13kg propane bottle ran out while away last week. I couldn't get a replacement anywhere near Northwich, where we were staying, and had to wait until I got home before I was able to track down a supply from a hardware shop in Wallasey. £35 is rather more than I paid last time......

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450