Shortage of Calor cylinders??

Message added by CT Advertising,

caravan-company-medium.jpg We buy caravans for cash
Looking to sell your second hand caravan? The Caravan Company is always looking to purchase quality second hand caravans. We offer great part exchange packages so that you can trade in your second hand caravans for an updated model selected from our huge range of stock at any one of our branches with no hassle. www.thecaravancompany.com

After reading all of this I went out to seek another 6kg propane bottle as ours is empty. Everywhere had sold out but my last stop (Morrison’s at Swadlincote) had one! HOWEVER they refused to swap as it turns out my bottle is a Calor lite and they told me in a very stern voice that it cannot be exchanged for a standard 6kg bottle.

I have got a half full butane 7kg bottle so if I have to I’ll have to get a butane hose etc and use that. We’re not away until the end of May but I hate leaving things until the last minute.

B5AA4EB1-EF0F-40ED-8227-5C3CE1D3E92B.jpeg

235037F1-35CF-4EA7-A007-CA65A806CB2D.jpeg

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They need to be disabused as Calor make it clear that in the absence if Calorlite bottles, steel will/ can be substituted. 

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Gary, if you look at the Calor website, there is a section about exchanging bottles. They are in groups. As far as I can see, you should be able to change a Calorlite for a normal steel 6kg Propane

.https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/advice/returns#gas-bottle-exchange

What was Morrisons reason?

Edited by Lagerorwine

Yes I saw the section explaining this after I got back home. They said “we don’t do those ones” and simply refused to listen. There’s a DIY shop not far from there with a large Calor compound so I’ll try them tomorrow as they were closed by the time I got there.

I never realised it was a Calor Lite bottle as I had it fitted to this caravan by the dealer when we bought it in 2018, prior to this we always used butane.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Further to my previous post I just looked on Facebook market place for something else, and there was someone just 5 miles away offering a 15kg Calor Butane, and 2 Camping Gaz 907 cylinders for free!! 

So I shot round to pick them up. The 15Kg cylinder turned out to be FULL :D 

it even has a regulator with it :D :D 

AND one of the Camping Gaz cylinders is also full :D :D :D

The Camping Gaz ones will be on eBay shortly. The 15kg is going to power my BBQ over the summer. 

What a result eh? 

Got a Calor lite like that the other day!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I have had this discussion with Morrisons before. They say they know what bottles they have in stock and don’t want to swap different types even if Calors website say they could 🙄

2 hours ago, PR1 said:

Got a Calor lite like that the other day!

Nice one! With luck like that you ought to buy a lottery ticket. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

2 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Nice one! With luck like that you ought to buy a lottery ticket. 

I dread you and me meeting up Andy! We have such similar and wicked sense of humours

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I have just got a 6kg propane bottle from a larger Calor supplier (Massey's at Swadlincote of anyone local needs some).  They told me that they have plenty of stock and had no problem accepting my Calor Lite cylinder as they knew all about them.  I think the problem I had at Morrison's was that they were just fuel pump cashiers that knew how to exchange gas bottles but knew nothing about swapping items that didn't look exactly the same.

32 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

I have just got a 6kg propane bottle from a larger Calor supplier (Massey's at Swadlincote of anyone local needs some). 

What was the cost of 6 kg propane, please?

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

David

There are two costs involved (sorry if you are already aware but as a new owner you may not be) 

1. The cylinder “rental” You have to pay for your very first cylinder (unless you can get one from eBay etc) so you have one to exchange.
  2. Then there is the cost of the refill (you exchange your empty for a filled one) The cost varies a bit for that but it’s around £25 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

7 minutes ago, David 38 said:

What was the cost of 6 kg propane, please?

It was £24.50.

Just been checking my cylinders and so ordered  on line from Flogas website one exchange 6 kg propane delivered foc at £21.66.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Thanks you both for confirming price level of 6 kg propane from Calor.

No I'm not new to caravan and camping but your advice is good for anyone new reading.

I have a 3.9 kg and 6 kg from one of each from Calor and Flogas.

Both 6 kg empty so as above Flogas ordered.

The Flogas 3.9 kg is full and Calor 2/3 rd used.

My caravan is limited to a 6 kg and 3.9 kg.  So next trip will be 6 kg Flogas and in use the 3.9 kg Calor.

Subsequent trips at some point will be 6 kg Flogas in use the full 3.9 kg Flogas spare.

Sometime I will call at my friendly builders merchant, he's a caravanner and get refills and exchange the Calors.

I did note on the Flogas website for 6 kg it said exchanges only, so they too must be starting to have the problems that Calor have.

Regards, David

Calor have confirmed that are operating a 141 policy meaning you can only get a refill full if you have an empty - I suspect this is simply to ensure supply and avoid the issues last summer.

As a bi-product of the decision the used and unwanted/disregarded cylinders at skips/ebay/facebook etc may all come back into circulation so hopefully at least those with cylinders should be OK - not sure how the newbies will cope but suspect there are still plenty to be found for those who look hard enough.

Cheers, Martin

2 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

...suspect there are still plenty to be found for those who look hard enough.

Yes but sounds as if a few of the members getting over charged.

I thought it might be in the case of Calor the faulty lite ones causing this shortage but as I found yesterday Flogas have same restriction on 6kg.

Regards, David

1 minute ago, David 38 said:

Yes but sounds as if a few of the members getting over charged.

Yep - Calor propose a maximum retail price but ultimately the retailer can charge what they like! As usual buyer beware - many people will just pay the extra for ease and peace of mind.

Cheers, Martin

2 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

Yep - Calor propose a maximum retail price but ultimately the retailer can charge what they like! As usual buyer beware - many people will just pay the extra for ease and peace of mind.

Yes true that's why I only have my 2 Calor ones for emergency, this because when I started with Flogas they were not available easily as they are now.

As I stated above yesterday I dealt with Flogas directly but seems Calor will not deal direct with customers with exchanges.

(PS.  Flogas gave me 5% discount on their listed price and will charge later after delivery, not upfront.)

Regards, David

On 13/04/2021 at 19:33, Boggy1982 said:

I have had this discussion with Morrisons before. They say they know what bottles they have in stock and don’t want to swap different types even if Calors website say they could

I finally got me a 13kg Propane from my Morrisons on Monday, for £36 (less with staff/family discount).  Calor have it priced at £38.50 online.  Gas for the home Weber BBQ restocked for the summer now. :P

Calor retailers, inc Club sites, seldom do other than like-for-like exchanges.  It's been that way all my 25+ years of caravanning (and lpg cylinder use).  Only their main agents seem obliged to do it (and have the Calor forms for the process).

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

7 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Calor retailers, inc Club sites, seldom do other than like-for-like exchanges.  It's been that way all my 25+ years of caravanning (and lpg cylinder use). 

My understanding is their stock is then out of balance as they can't get it right again.

Regards, David

Is there still a problem getting calor gas?

I have half a dozen 4.5kg propane and butane bottles from part used to full.

Been picking them up on the cheap here and there for a couple of years. Give the empty cylinders away where I can.

Probably take a few normal years for me to use them.

macafee2

48 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

I finally got me a 13kg Propane from my Morrisons on Monday, for £36 (less with staff/family discount).  Calor have it priced at £38.50 online.  Gas for the home Weber BBQ restocked for the summer now. :P

Calor retailers, inc Club sites, seldom do other than like-for-like exchanges.  It's been that way all my 25+ years of caravanning (and lpg cylinder use).  Only their main agents seem obliged to do it (and have the Calor forms for the process).

I have been quite lucky with a local hardware store swapping any size as long as it was within Calor rules. 

53 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

That must be their choice as all retailers have access to the systems to sign up and sell a new bottle - its such a pain they may opt not to! (basically signing a customer up to a CRA - cylinder refill agreement)

I guess as most of us only need to buy once we never do really encounter it. Smaller retailers may only do a one a year. With the hype in camping staycations atm I suspect there will be lots of requests for new bottles and calor have turned off the tap. It may be an interesting season!

Cheers, Martin

54 minutes ago, David 38 said:

My understanding is their stock is then out of balance as they can't get it right again.

They can as long as in the same group

image.png.de377a2306c9f6582ed8956bdc17801a.png

Cheers, Martin

15 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

They can as long as in the same group

image.png.de377a2306c9f6582ed8956bdc17801a.png

Maybe they do not want any hassle doing the reconciliation.

Regards, David