Shortage of Calor cylinders??

Mr Plodd

A pal has just sent me this so thought I would share it. 

Just picked this up from FB, worth checking if you’re in need and planning an outing.

“Just a quick cautionary note for you to think about before the glorious 12th.
I am a warden in the south west (of England) and cannot get a restock of calor gas, and have been trying for over a month. I haven't any stock whatsoever, and I am not the only one.
This could apply nationwide, so check before you travel as you may have better supply near where you live.
Don't get caught out, and looking forward to the start of the season

Statement from Calor

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exactly the same supply issues as last year which many experienced, depending on where you are in the country.

Same in Berkshire, but was after the smaller 5kg bottle for my patio heater (green with red handles) luckily  I looked in the cage before going to the check out and saw two sealed full ones(have indicators), because the girl on the till told me they had no stock!!! cost more this year (£39) but needed it asap.....

33 minutes ago, gtepete said:

5kg bottle for my patio heater (green with red handles) <snip>

cost more this year (£39) but needed it asap.....

You were well and truly done there!

https://shop.calor.co.uk/5kg-patio-gas-bottle.html should only be £20.50 or thereabouts.

Perhaps they looked up the wrong cylinder on the price list?

https://shop.calor.co.uk/13kg-propane-gas-bottle.html is £38.50. 

A Patio 13 is £45.50.

I've an empty 13kg propane I want to exchange (for BBQ use).  Bedford Morrisons had none (plenty of 5kg patios, though) and Leighton Buzzard had a cage overflowing with empties.  Looks like I'll have to start ringing round possible suppliers.

Any reports on Flogas supplies?

Just swapped a flogas 6kg, no mention of a shortage but way over price at nearly £30!

9 minutes ago, Stagn8 said:

Just swapped a flogas 6kg, no mention of a shortage but way over price at nearly £30!

Thanks, yes but they deliver free but Calor dearer and extra for delivery.

Stag8 where on earth did you buy at that.

Only £23.25 on line.

https://www.flogas.co.uk/product/6kg-propane-gas-cylinder?c=all-cylinders

1 hour ago, Rodders53 said:

I've an empty 13kg propane I want to exchange (for BBQ use).  Bedford Morrisons had none (plenty of 5kg patios, though) and Leighton Buzzard had a cage overflowing with empties.  Looks like I'll have to start ringing round possible suppliers.

If you were hoping to exchange for a different size - you might have a problem.  Calor depots will exchange for one within the same size group https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/advice/returns#gas-bottle-exchange but the depots are closed to the public.  I tried to get a 4.5kg butane bottle swapped for a 6kg Propane but the retailers I've tried will only do like for like.

Calor depots are likely to be your best bet once they re-open.

Edited by Aitch

3 minutes ago, Aitch said:

You might have a problem exchanging for a different size - 

Calor depots are likely to be your best bet once they re-open.

Try ordering on-line.

5 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Try ordering on-line.

No bottles of any size (except for 5kg patio) are available on the Calor website....

Regrettably, we have no availability of this gas bottle online at this time. You can call your local Calor retailer who may have stock available.

You can also sign up for an alert and we'll email you as soon as the gas bottle you need is available online again.

Thank you for your under standing. Please read our full statement for more information.

Edited by Aitch

41 minutes ago, Stagn8 said:

Flogas regularly supply me with 19 kg. propane cylinders for that price - and free delivery. 

9 minutes ago, Aitch said:

If you were hoping to exchange for a different size

I never said I wanted anything other than another 13kg propane??? :rolleyes:  I swapped my Patios for Reds when they permitted that exchange.

Hi there!  Happy Easter and hope for things to improve.  I have just  bought  an exchange Calor Lite bottle. at a local garden centre. I have not purchased one for a long time and it came as a bit of a shock to be charged £32.00 ||||  Does this sound right?   Has any one bought one recently?  Many  thanks .Dave.

Hi Dave, happy Easter to you too.

They are obviously charging what they like as Calor's maximum suggested retail price for lite is £27.50! That includes the increase for March 2021.

I suspect, with predicted demand, that some retailers take advantage somewhat and up pricing even beyond the £32 that you have experienced - as stock is predicted to be tricky in places they will likely get away with it.

Cheers, Martin

There is another thread that mentions Calor agents are ripping people off big time due to Calor themselves not selling bottles to us.

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/150831-shortage-of-calor-cylinders/

Edited by David 38

Feeling smug. Refilled my Safefill last week. 13+ litres under £8.   That’s roughly 6.5kg. 
Yeh I know I had to purchase the bottles, and filling stations are closing at fast rate, but it’s still huge savings 

7 minutes ago, David 38 said:

There is another thread that mentions Calor agents are ripping people off big time due to Calor themselves not selling bottles to us.

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/150831-shortage-of-calor-cylinders/

Well spotted, I did read both so I have now merged them thanks David.

Cheers, Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Went in to my Calor dealer earlier to get a replacement Calor Lite!

Only allowed one as I had an empty Calor lite to exchange! £27.50

The manager did say to me that they expect the cylinder shortage to last for a year!

The only cylinders you can now buy/hire are patio gas ones!

Everything else is exchange only!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Great...... our caravan propane is empty, better get on the hunt for a replacement!  This time last year it was toilet rolls................

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

2 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Great...... our caravan propane is empty, better get on the hunt for a replacement!  This time last year it was toilet rolls................

......but they don't last as long as gas does when you burn them. 😂

Seems like the world's gone mad..

I've just bought a second  Safefill gas bottle, dealers are running very low & have said the next deliveries aren't due into the UK until June, possibly July. One supplier in Nottingham told me a guy drove from Gloucestershire.

Could explain (in part) why I got £20.00 on Ebay for an empty  4.5kg patio & a guy travelled 30 miles!

And still I see Calor cylinders at the “Recycling Centre” (the tip to most of us) The galling thing is that a) People have to pay to dump them and b) ANY empty Calor cylinder will earn you £7.50 if you return it to a Calor depot.

I wonder what happens to the ones left at recycling centres :rolleyes:

37 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I wonder what happens to the ones left at recycling centres :rolleyes:

At my Council tip they told me a chap calls with a trailer and pays £5 each, he then sorts them in to the various owning companies then get paid when he takes them to these companies.

Further to my previous post I just looked on Facebook market place for something else, and there was someone just 5 miles away offering a 15kg Calor Butane, and 2 Camping Gaz 907 cylinders for free!! 

So I shot round to pick them up. The 15Kg cylinder turned out to be FULL :D 

it even has a regulator with it :D :D 

AND one of the Camping Gaz cylinders is also full :D :D :D

The Camping Gaz ones will be on eBay shortly. The 15kg is going to power my BBQ over the summer. 

What a result eh?