Message added by CT Advertising,

pro-tec covers logo.jpgTop-quality covers from Pro-tec Covers.

Bespoke and breathable caravan covers that are safer and easier to fit.

Shop online today or call us on 01274 780 088.

Hi Everyone

I hope everyone is keeping well and safe.

I am looking to buy a caravan in the next few months, it will be my first so don't know too much but have an idea of what I want, I have seen a 2014 Lunar Delta RS on ebay for £7,200.00, the caravan is in Scotland and I live in Bournemouth, so have swapped a few messages with the seller and then he sent me this.

"Due to my location and since view or pick up is not an option for the moment only delivery is available, of course you will have 14 days to check everything before I will be paid, I'm offering free delivery and free return if something goes wrong. You will get the item to your home address and you can check it before making the final decision. eBay will take care of everything and arrange the delivery to your address.  For that I will need your full name, delivery address, tel number and a email for delivery invoice. As soon as I have your details I will start the procedures. Next step eBay will get in touch with you and send you the invoice. After you've received the invoice you'll need to make the payment by bank transfer to courier account (NOT to me) and they will hold the money into their bank account until you receive, inspect and agreed to keep the item. For the buyer's peace of mind I've also added a 14 DAYS REFUND POLICY so if you won't like it, you'll receive a full refund, no fees or taxes deducted. If the item is not as described, the agent will transfer the money back into your bank account. If you decide to keep it after the 14 days inspection period, you will need to sign the owner transfer papers and only then I will get paid. For that I will need your full name, delivery address, tel number . As soon as I have your details I will start the procedures. Next step eBay will get in touch with you and send you the invoice. After you've received the invoice you'll need to make the payment by bank transfer. For the buyer's peace of mind I've also added a 14 DAYS REFUND POLICY so if you won't like it, you'll receive a full refund, no fees or taxes deducted."

It sounds very dodgy to me, I don't like to part with money on ebay unless it goes through PayPal and ebay. Has anyone else heard or seen of anything like this. The other thing is that £7,200.00 seems very cheap for a twin axle Lunar Delta.

Look forward to hearing from you, in the meantime take care and keep safe.

Phil

Sounds fishy to me. But I would never buy a caravan from Ebay anyway, I'd always go to a dealer.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I must admit I think I am more inclined to buy from a dealer, but I would say the majority of caravans on ebay are listed by dealers, so I am happy to look on ebay and will more than likely buy from a dealer, at least you have a chance of some come back if something goes wrong. Having said that I think I would get an independent survey done on whatever caravan I bought, so if I got a good survey report on a private sale then I would be happy to go ahead as long as the paperwork stacks up as well.

Edited by Phil Auld

If you are really interested in the van why not arrange for an inspection by someone of your choice that operated close to the seller. At least then you would know that the van exists and is in satisfactory condition. From there you would be in a better position to negotiate delivery and payment. I don't see why collection wouldn't be an option as covid restrictions get lifted.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Scam or no scam I would never buy a caravan out of my area.

It seems about half the price in the current climate of high demand for caravans so care has to be taken if going ahead. I do not know how buying through ebay works and the comments about ebay sending invoices since I have only bought things for a few pounds and invoices always came from the seller. Try to get an actual address from the seller since it could be a high jacked ebay account - maybe even enquire through ebay.

This is a known scam. Be very very wary or, better still, ignore it and move on. I also think it is on the cheap side. 

The scam is that you pay before receiving the caravan, and despite what the words say, you've sent the money by bank transfer and there is no going back. EBay are aware of these scams do report it to them. 

Someone will fall for it and lose their money. Too many of the public are greedy for a 'good' offer. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

1.  from Scotland to Bournemouth  

2.  free delivery and free return

3.   14 days trial

4.   full refund

caravans are selling like hot cakes at the moment due to staycations,  that is a better deal than you would get locally or from a dealer,  the sad thing is that some gullible soul will think that this is a bargain and take them up on the offer. It is often said on here that if something doesn't feel right , walk away

6 minutes ago, WispMan said:

This is a known scam. Be very very wary or, better still, ignore it and move on. I also think it is on the cheap side. 

The scam is that you pay before receiving the caravan, and despite what the words say, you've sent the money by bank transfer and there is no going back. EBay are aware of these scams do report it to them. 

Someone will fall for it and lose their money. Too many of the public are greedy for a 'good' offer. 

Hi

Thanks I thought it sounded like a scam, as you say you part with your money by bank transfer and that is that, basically it is a deal outside of eBay' protection.

If in doubt leave it out, yes I can ususally spot a scam. Caravan prices are certainly higher than they were this time last year, shame I didn't get my retirement then.

It is worth checking with the ebay terms and conditions. If their protection covers this type of deal they will say so.

eBay's protection won't cover you if you pay outside of eBay, so a direct bank transfer has nothing to do with eBay, so no protection. I use eBay a lot, but not for things at this sort of price, I have never had any problems with eBay when things have not gone right, I have always got a refund or an exchange.

This has all the hall-marks of a scam, please don't take the very real risk of being sucked in by it. The whole thing stinks to me.

At the present time 'vans are fetching high prices in virtually any state, this one is more like 1/2 the going rate so that should tell you all you need to know.

Definitely fishy.  For one thing, they've repeated some of the wording twice.  That's why I'll never buy an expensive item from individuals.  I will always use trade, its face to face.  Also, the caravan places will be open in the next couple of weeks.  Why not wait until then.  Also, try caravanfinder.co.uk.  You can click on either trade or private sale and look for your ideal caravan.  Even close to home to yourself.  I think travelling the length of the country is way too far.  No, do not buy this product.  If in doubt, stop!!

One good thing.  It isn't my last caravan that you would be buying, and I mean the one that got knicked.  You never know what you'll be buying

Edited by Babstreefern

According to the seller information on ebay, the seller has not had any sales in the last twelve months. The grammer on the sale page is awful and appears to be taken from a specification page. It seems very dodgy to me. I'd leave well alone.

I can hardly hear myself think due to all the alarms bells ringing in my head :unsure:

Its a scam pure and simple, walk away NOW! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

It is far too good to be true, and a courier account is not e bay or safe. No way would I go for it.

I was looking at a minidigger  last year and that too was in "Scotland". My casual enquiry returned an email almost identical to the one you got.

Scam.  100%.  If he has a picture of his house the background,  checkthe address of the seller on ebay and use google street view and see if the housing looks the same.    A guy was selling a motorbike and had exactly the same sort of response.  I reported to Ebay but they just ignored and the bike was relisted 4 or 5 times.

The other thing to look out for on ebay are fraudulent listings where they give few details of the item but one of the pictures is an email address to contact for further info.  The seller usually lists classic cars, caravans a whole range of items from their home address.  

As others have said very likely a SCAM!

eBay would not promote payments and transactions outside of their network.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

You would be 'quackers' to proceed and I suspect £7,200 lighter...

Hi All

Thanks for all the comments, I only casually enquired, I was a bit suspicious about the price to start with, as one of you said it is about half the price it shoukd go for, so don't worry I am not walking into the trap. I haven't got my pension pot yet so not in a position to buy anything anyway.

I have seen the ads on eBay with just one photo and then an email address, I have reported them to eBay several times but they just come back with a different account and a different email address.

I've been doing lots of looking at caravans online as it helps to get an idea of what sort of van I want, I intend to go touring round the UK with just me and my cat for up to about 4 weeks at a time avoiding the school holidays, so I want something with a bit of space and a fixed bed, so I am even considering a twin axle.

So lets see what is around towards the end of the month.

Thanks again for your concerns and advice, it's always welcome.

Total scam!! Keep your money safe and keep looking close to home and preferable at dealers. DO NOT FALL FOR IT!! :o

Edited by yorkyguy

Having ascertained that you live in Bournemouth, (because you told him) , he announces that the caravan is in Scotland...odd or what ? 

As others have said, it's got scam written all over it !  

An Ebay scammers page will not have feedback and will be a new account. This account has 100% and been active since 2004.
They have positive feedback as both a seller and a buyer.
I'd say for the low listing price, there is something wrong with it. 

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Just now, JanandJay said:

An Ebay scammers page will not have feedback and will be a new account. This account has 100% and been active since 2004.
They have positive feedback as both a seller and a buyer.

They use hacked accounts.  Increases the chance people might believe the seller is genuine.