Are we allowed to take frozen dairy products in our fridges on ferry crossings to the EU now?

Not sure I would want the stress of taking caravan to a supermarket after a longish ferry crossing, possibly feeling tired and wanting to get to first site.

I wonder if soya milk or almond milk allowed?  At least then, you would have some milk for tea and coffee the first night.  Easy enough then to visit a supermarket in car for a quick shop the next morning.

We always stop off somewhere to buy a baguette and pate for lunch so no sweat adding a few items. As an earlier post suggests, we always have one guarding the car while the other shops.  If arriving at Caen we always stay overnight at Ranville or Beau Rivage then get on the road after breakfast (the office at the latter stocks long life milk for our cornflakes), cover about 200kms and find a site for the second night, arriving in time to shop properly. 

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

16 minutes ago, meadowsweet said:

I wonder if soya milk or almond milk allowed?  At least then, you would have some milk for tea and coffee the first night.  Easy enough then to visit a supermarket in car for a quick shop the next morning.

There should not be a problem with plant based products, just as long as the  plant description is not lost in any translation. Also a good idea to keep any plant based milk container with the cap seal intact, which should not lead to allegations that the original product has been substituted with dairy.

Happy to be vegan with our own food for a day or so.

John. 

Edited by John19

I recall the days when we travelled abroad with a tent and associated camping equipment in a small trailer. No fridge but we usually had some dried or tinned food onboard that could be cooked up if needed BUT our preference after a journey was to let someone else do the cooking (and the washing up) so a visit to a restaurant where both could be achieved was always a good call as soon as we had set up camp. We were on holiday and so shopping could wait.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

When things change we have to change. There are plenty of ways round this. If you arrive late & want to drive all night then stop for sandwich & coffee at services. Services often sell stuff like milk & bread as well. It really is not stressful driving a car & caravan into a large supermarket car park. There is always plenty of space at back of park.  Leave one of your party in the car if you are worried about security. Use the store locator on the French supermarket websites to find suitable shops. Many of the large centre commercials are situated on edge of a town adjacent to an autoroute exit. It is either that or just bring in what you want & hope you do not get stopped. 

The EU regulations are intended for trade not holidaymakers or short term visitors.

As it is impossible for a traveller  to provide the requisite documents for any product being taken into the EU  the risk of seizure will always be present.

On 01/04/2021 at 17:10, Alan Stanley said:

I can see a business opportunity here.  Email or Text your order ahead to France.  I'll do a shop and drop for you as you get off the ferry,  For a price of course.

I can see the services and supermarkets just across the ditch rubbing their hands with glee.  As a point of principle we allow personal imports for own use into our country and we should be saying to the E.U.  you will reciprocate or we will simply not come.  Works for me.

Sounds like you have no intention of going 'over there'?

If you do just call at the first supermarket, buy what you want, continue your journey.

On 05/04/2021 at 09:39, Fenester said:

The issue is this -  we like to get of the ferry and get on with a substantial journey arriving at our overnight stop(s) with everything we need to arrive late and then start early doing shopping later when we arrive relaxed and in a position to "slow down" for the holiday. Therefore we like to travel fully provisioned for the first few days.

Whether this fits your style or not is relevant to whether one considers this to be an issue relevant to you or not.

Your last sentence makes clear that you preferred travel arrangements, no longer possible, direct from home are irrelevant.

It seems strange given the year we have had, and with little prospect of getting on a ferry any time soon, to anywhere, that this simple-yes it may be a pain in the rear-change seems to be causing so much angst.  

A slight digression off topic but when we are able to travel we will take a 'packed lunch' made in our home (UK) to eat on our journey while travelling into France but understand the possibility our prepared meal maybe confiscated.

The point here is WE HAVE prepared our meal with CLEAN HANDS - especially important during/after this Covid situation.

No different from flying into New York I suppose ? You would be made to bin your free range chicken sarnies & directed to the airport shop to buy chlorine washed chicken bagels.  ;)

4 hours ago, Allan Guest said:

Your last sentence makes clear that you preferred travel arrangements, no longer possible, direct from home are irrelevant.

It seems strange given the year we have had, and with little prospect of getting on a ferry any time soon, to anywhere, that this simple-yes it may be a pain in the rear-change seems to be causing so much angst.  

Not strange at all, I was alluding to the fact that people preferences are different and opinions vary as a consequence.  To some it is not an issue as they are happy to shop near the port to us but to us it is a pain.  To you it may seem silly, but that is your prerogative.

Putting the arguments on Brexit aside and the matter of 3rd country status, it seems that, having had tourists bring in small quantities of food for personal consumption for years even prior to EU Maastricht in the days of the good old FFR, a bit petty.  You would think  the sensible thing would be to create a simple friendly 2 way protocol for this.

Having discussed this in conversation with my elderly neighbour he said:  " They didn't have a problem with my sandwiches on the 6th of June 1944" - somewhat amusing I thought.

It is hard to say how this will go. I bet plenty of caravanners & motorhomers who don’t pay attention to the news & don’t read forums will be unaware of this & just take in what they always have done. If there’s evidence of plenty of incoming caravans & motorhomes being properly searched for non compliant food I’m sure we will read about it in the popular press. 

32 minutes ago, Fenester said:

Not strange at all, I was alluding to the fact that people preferences are different and opinions vary as a consequence.  To some it is not an issue as they are happy to shop near the port to us but to us it is a pain.  To you it may seem silly, but that is your prerogative.

Hi, I did not say it was strange or silly just that  its a straightforward, whether we like it or not, change from us being in the EU to not being in the EU.

Who knows what will happen but, as the shellfish industry are finding, there appears to be precious little 'goodwill' that would maybe help.

Till something changes we will, once we can get over there, have to shop for certain foodstuffs on arrival and I have already resigned my self to having to drink wine or beer instead of my cuppa at our first overnight.

No, you are not allowed any more.

A minor inconvenience but one none the less! I'll just be happy when we can get on a ferry again.

On 05/04/2021 at 09:39, meadowsweet said:

Not sure I would want the stress of taking caravan to a supermarket after a longish ferry crossing, possibly feeling tired and wanting to get to first site.

That sums it up for us.

6 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

A slight digression off topic but when we are able to travel we will take a 'packed lunch' made in our home (UK) to eat on our journey while travelling into France but understand the possibility our prepared meal maybe confiscated.

The point here is WE HAVE prepared our meal with CLEAN HANDS - especially important during/after this Covid situation.

It's nothing to do with Covid or hygiene, but all to do with food safety, i.e has your food been passed by EU inspectors as "Fit for human consumption" etc.

If the meat or dairy products you buy and put in your packed lunch is contaminated with whatever, before it even leaves the farm, it is dangerous, hence the need for an EU safety certificate. When we were in the EU, the food inspectors (unknown to the consumer) certified our food as fit for human consumption, but now we are no longer in it, the safety certification is no longer valid. Hence the restrictions.

Good opportunity for the ferry companies and Chunnel to sell compliant products on board methinks

32 minutes ago, MalH said:

Good opportunity for the ferry companies and Chunnel to sell compliant products on board methinks

They've been doing so for years.   In the Boutique on the Portsmouth/Bilbao/Santander ferries they have on sale packs of sandwiches - chicken, prawn, cheese&ham, egg - all reared, prepared and packed in France.   Then there are bowls of prepared salads.   Being produced in France and being sold on a French ship, how can they not allow them to enter the EU?    And don't forget the milk sachets in the coffee bars!

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

1 hour ago, daveat92 said:

It's nothing to do with Covid or hygiene, but all to do with food safety, i.e has your food been passed by EU inspectors as "Fit for human consumption" etc.

When we were in the EU, the food inspectors (unknown to the consumer) certified our food as fit for human consumption, but now we are no longer in it, the safety certification is no longer valid. Hence the restrictions.

Thank you Daveat92, very succinctly put.

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

2 hours ago, Jaydug said:

They've been doing so for years.   In the Boutique on the Portsmouth/Bilbao/Santander ferries they have on sale packs of sandwiches - chicken, prawn, cheese&ham, egg - all reared, prepared and packed in France.   Then there are bowls of prepared salads.   Being produced in France and being sold on a French ship, how can they not allow them to enter the EU?    And don't forget the milk sachets in the coffee bars!

I was thinking more along the lines of long life milk and other dairy produce.

This is probably a bit of an aside but the OP mentions frozen products. I was watching a news programme about the difficulty of getting supermarket supplies to NI. One comment that aroused my interest was the fact that of sausages of all things. Apparently the fresh ones were having difficulty being accepted but the frozen ones were fine. I didn't delve into it any further but I wonder if the rules are slightly different for frozen items although before we get excited it might just apply to bulk frozen?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

17 hours ago, daveat92 said:

If the meat or dairy products you buy and put in your packed lunch is contaminated with whatever, before it even leaves the farm, it is dangerous, hence the need for an EU safety certificate. When we were in the EU, the food inspectors (unknown to the consumer) certified our food as fit for human consumption, but now we are no longer in it, the safety certification is no longer valid. Hence the restrictions.

While I agree with you in principle I'm sure our lack of EU certification on food will still mean it is fit for human consumption ;-)

I think one side of the argument will accept this is just how customs regulations work in much the same way all over the world & the other side of the argument will always see it as a “punishment”.

In Australia you do not even need to leave the country to get this “punishment” inflicted on you.  The EU food restrictions are no different from crossing between states in Oz. Read this.

15 hours ago, klyne said:

This is probably a bit of an aside but the OP mentions frozen products. I was watching a news programme about the difficulty of getting supermarket supplies to NI. One comment that aroused my interest was the fact that of sausages of all things. Apparently the fresh ones were having difficulty being accepted but the frozen ones were fine. I didn't delve into it any further but I wonder if the rules are slightly different for frozen items although before we get excited it might just apply to bulk frozen?

David

The frozen bit was as a result of this thread starting from another talking about frozen milk being used to maintain fridge temperature on a ferry crossing, Admin created a new thread, on my suggestion,  using this wording as it was a tangent  in danger of creating thread drift off the original topic. So, in reality it is about all food that previously one would have carried for the first few days of a caravan trip starting at a continental channel port: Calais, Caen, Bilbao, Santander or wherever,