Split wheel arch liner

Just had a service yesterday and the engineer found a small split in the plastic wheel arch liner. Its about 8cms long and 3 mm wide. As a temporary measure he put some sealant on it.

I'm wondering if I could glue and pop rivet a patch over it for a more permanent fix.

Would this work and what would make a suitable, flexible patch. For glue I'd think of using sikaflex or ct1.

Any thoughts, especially from anyone who've experienced this would be most welcome.

Did ours with fibre glass on the inside.

Any fixings need to be kept well away from the tyre - clearance is often tighter than it should ideally  be, hence my concern on pop rivets,

I had a 6" by 2 " hole caused by groceries being pushed against the liner that then touched the tyre the liner was then worn away by the tyre.

If you patch; how about a plastic roof felt support tray - same type of plastic, colour black, right thickness, flexible  and really cheap. Having discovered these trays since,  in retrospect, I would probably now have approached my repair differently.

Edited by Fenester
extra info

Thanks, to explain further, I can't get to the inside so will have to patch from underneath,  so the pop rivet heads will be more or less flush.

I like the idea of the support tray, never heard of them but the could be just the job.

You can buy singles from wickes. There are  a 1.5m long and about 300mm wide. £2.00. 

If you decide on the rivets make sure that you use sealed or waterproof versions or you may just be fitting a colander