Car parts company recommendation

I need some front brake pads for my car and found this company online      https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/   (part of the Euro car Parts group)   their prices are good, and the service is excellent. I ordered the pads, with the free (over £15) delivery option, yesterday at 3:15pm and they arrived this morning at 9:30. I was expecting to wait for 2 or 3 days for them. No connection with the company other than a very happy customer. :)

Edited by Flat_at
I have fat fingers which sometimes do as they please

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.       I'm not paranoid, they ARE out to get me.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

I have used them countless times, along with euro car parts too. 

Carparts4less, did at one point have an ebay store with even cheaper prices. I got 5ltrs of shell helix ultra oil for £18.

Been buying a lot of parts online from GSF lately for a project. Seems to be easier to do it that way, if you're not in a hurry, than click and collect, despite them having a shop very near us. Did a quick check on the parts I'd bought and prices seem pretty similar with GSF slightly cheaper. 

1 hour ago, Dobloseven said:

Been buying a lot of parts online from GSF lately for a project. Seems to be easier to do it that way, if you're not in a hurry, than click and collect, despite them having a shop very near us. Did a quick check on the parts I'd bought and prices seem pretty similar with GSF slightly cheaper. 

GSF didn't do Kia parts last time I had a look, 8 years ago :o, just checked and they do now! Pads for mine are 11p dearer though :).

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.       I'm not paranoid, they ARE out to get me.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

20 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

GSF didn't do Kia parts last time I had a look, 8 years ago :o, just checked and they do now! Pads for mine are 11p dearer though :).

Pays to shop around! I normally get stuff from a small motor factors tucked away on an industrial estate, but current bangernomics project is on a tight budget and they can't match online prices and there's no time constraints on the job. 

When it comes to brake pads/shoes/discs I have reverted to getting them from the car dealer after having some that did not work that well. They cost more but in the scheme of things a few extra pounds for good brakes in my mind is worth paying. Before I have bought from car accessory shops/Halfords (Lucas/Girling/Ferodo) and Eurocarparts with all sorts of makes. Eurocarparts is not always that much cheaper than a dealer since they seem to price things a bit below dealer prices and I have had their pattern parts which did not fit.

2 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

When it comes to brake pads/shoes/discs I have reverted to getting them from the car dealer after having some that did not work that well. They cost more but in the scheme of things a few extra pounds for good brakes in my mind is worth paying. Before I have bought from car accessory shops/Halfords (Lucas/Girling/Ferodo) and Eurocarparts with all sorts of makes. Eurocarparts is not always that much cheaper than a dealer since they seem to price things a bit below dealer prices and I have had their pattern parts which did not fit.

A fair few car dealers now have ebay stores with reduced prices. Rates ford in essex for example. Genuine stuff at reduced prices, cant grumble.

For the last ten or so years I've used Apec branded pads and discs on our cars. They seem to last and perform at least as well as the originals. 

7 hours ago, Jaydug said:

This company is worth a look.   https://www.autodoc.co.uk

Very good on price.

Pre Brexit delivery was a week or more.

Internet scuttlebutt says beware of customs charges now - they come from Germany. 

Always worth checking main dealer prices. I needed a sensor for a 5.0 Ford Coyote, Euros listed it but couldn’t supply, Ford had it overnight £8 cheaper plus OE part.  Needed  brakes for my sons Primera, genuine parts cheaper than factors, not by much but always happier with OE, particularly brakes.

For VAG parts find  a local TPS dealer. It’s the parts division of VAG and their prices are very competitive to the point where pattern parts become unattractive against OE stuff. 

Personally I use OE wherever possible. Wouldn’t like to add up the hours I’ve wasted doing the job twice using sub standard knock off parts to save the customer a few quid.

As an exception APEC brakes are ok, Brake Engineering do good calipers etc  but particularly with engine sensors OE is always a safer bet.

My local motor factors (Shepshed Auto Spares) had front pads for my V90 on the shelf and were cheaper than the online sites. The trouble is that nowadays so few people do their own car maintenance, the number of local parts suppliers are dwindling.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Are you sure the parts are the same specification as OE... ?

2 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

the number of local parts suppliers are dwindling.

Yes - Sign of the times.   I remember the time when there were three motor factor shops within two miles of me and all on high streets.   Now they've all gone.   Gone the same way as greengrocers.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

54 minutes ago, Flatcoat888 said:

Are you sure the parts are the same specification as OE... ?

Exactly.

Many years ago we all used to do our own car maintenance. Now I find I am one of the few and have had people/children watch when doing stuff.

On 01/04/2021 at 09:36, Jaydug said:

Yes - Sign of the times.   I remember the time when there were three motor factor shops within two miles of me and all on high streets.   Now they've all gone.   Gone the same way as greengrocers.

We used to have a lot of little corner shop motor spares places in Leicester. They were mostly owned by Asian gentlemen, many who had been forced out of the African countries in the seventies. They were invariably very helpful and open all hours. I suppose rising property values and the likes of GSF andEuroparts would make them unviable. Got quite nostalgic whilst working on my current project. Found a corroded steel brake pipe, first I've seen for many a year. Used to remove them and take, dripping fluid, to one of the little shops where the gentleman or his wife, or even one of his children would take it into the back of the shop, to return shortly with a shiny hand made facsimile. However this one was made in one piece with a flexible hose at each end and two fixing brackets with holes for the ABS wiring. A quick Internet search revealed a Motaquip branded replacement for just under 15 quid including postage from Northern Ireland. 

Just ordered a few items from carparts4less. GSF couldn't do them all for either c and c or home delivery and these guys were slightly cheaper No hurry because I'm still working my way through the two boxes of GSF stuff. 

Parts arrived this morning delivered by a very surly fellow from the local Europarts.