Dometic Series 10 door issue.

Seaman

As they have relaxed the lockdown today, we travelled down to Gatwick CC to check out our Challenger. My OH shut the fridge door and found that it was fouling the frame on the left side. The door was canted over as the top pin on the right side had popped out. It pushes back in OK, and the door is able to be opened from the right side with out any problems. I am failing to see how the double door opening system works. Is it magnet that hold the pivot pins in place?

Any ideas guys?

We have got the caravan booked in for a minor warranty job on the 14th April, so hopefully it will be addressed? 

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

• 4 weeks later...

We collected a new coachman 460 with the series 10 dometic fridge and the door detached at the top hinge the following day. The dealer said three other people that had collected new vans had rang to report same fault and they were waiting to hear from the dometic engineer to solve the issue. 

6 hours ago, Coachy said:

We collected a new coachman 460 with the series 10 dometic fridge and the door detached at the top hinge the following day. The dealer said three other people that had collected new vans had rang to report same fault and they were waiting to hear from the dometic engineer to solve the issue. 

Thanks Coachy, our dealer sorted out the problem, but didn't say what they did. All he said was that we weren't shutting the door correctly. The door is now behaving itself, but I'm expecting it to happen again some day.  The manual is not  a lot of help and is like an IKEA instruction sheet with pictorial sequences. Anyway, fingers crossed for now.

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

The Dometic series 10 fridge door is horrendously designed with flimsy fittings. One of the main issues is that the baseplate is flexible and when the door is fixed to the unit it will flex and drop. This will be made worse by items being stored in the door, or the door being opened and levering the nylon guide stud out of its housing and under the facia. This is not caused by the operator opening and closing the door incorrectly, its caused by poor design.  I have been advised by my dealer to lift the door when closing, but this is not the solution, or the correct way to close the door as the door will detatch itself from the main body. I have also been advised to fit a nylon spacer to the bottom hinge, but this may only be a temporary fix and invalidate any warranty.

So far Dometic have not replied to my emails showing detailed photo's and Coachman has passed the problem on to my dealer. Why should the dealers suffer these issues when really its a design and manufacturing issue 

Edited by Rolandrat
Wrongly worded

Thank you for your input rolandrat, you have been able to find out quite a lot of useful information. I will have a good look at  ours now.

I don't think Dometic will hurry to come up with a rectification. Look how long there has been an issue with the panel on the low level fridges, nothing has been done.

• 6 months later...

Just read a post elsewhere about the fridge door falling off. This is the new fridge that opens either way. Well I’ve just joined the club! One hinge snapped off a couple of weeks ago. Managed to use the fridge anyway as it would still open from the other side. Returned home and the alarm on the fridge started beeping saying the door not closed. It was closed. Dealer sorted the alarm issue. Apparently there’s a magnet at the top of the door under the plastic cover and this can drop with the fridge then believing the door is still open. Anyway, got home from the dealers to find the fridge door has now fallen off completely. The bottom hinge on the door has now snapped off on the same side as the top one which had previously snapped. These fridges are obviously not fit for purpose. They may be fine in a still environment but the hinges are too flimsy for bouncing around in a caravan on UK roads. 

On 27/11/2021 at 21:23, Keith100 said:

Just read a post elsewhere about the fridge door falling off. This is the new fridge that opens either way. Well I’ve just joined the club! One hinge snapped off a couple of weeks ago. Managed to use the fridge anyway as it would still open from the other side. Returned home and the alarm on the fridge started beeping saying the door not closed. It was closed. Dealer sorted the alarm issue. Apparently there’s a magnet at the top of the door under the plastic cover and this can drop with the fridge then believing the door is still open. Anyway, got home from the dealers to find the fridge door has now fallen off completely. The bottom hinge on the door has now snapped off on the same side as the top one which had previously snapped. These fridges are obviously not fit for purpose. They may be fine in a still environment but the hinges are too flimsy for bouncing around in a caravan on UK roads. 

Keith,

Since mine was sorted out by the dealer, it has been fine with no recurring incidents. However we have been getting screws working loose where the kitchen unit is attached to the caravan side wall. I have since had the wheels balanced which appears to have had a positive effect.

Is it possible that out of balance wheels are the root cause of your problem?

57 minutes ago, Seaman said:

Keith,

Since mine was sorted out by the dealer, it has been fine with no recurring incidents. However we have been getting screws working loose where the kitchen unit is attached to the caravan side wall. I have since had the wheels balanced which appears to have had a positive effect.

Is it possible that out of balance wheels are the root cause of your problem?

Many thanks Seaman.  I’ll get the dealer to check the wheels so thanks for the tip. Plenty of other things wrong with this van so it’s quite likely that the wheels aren’t right either! Good to hear that your fridge problem got sorted anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Keith100 said:

Many thanks Seaman.  I’ll get the dealer to check the wheels so thanks for the tip. Plenty of other things wrong with this van so it’s quite likely that the wheels aren’t right either! Good to hear that your fridge problem got sorted anyway. 

Keith  we were also having intermittent electrical problems with the battery and 12 volts system was playing up. The dealer with advise from Sargent disconnected all the connections to the power supply unit under the seat. They then remade the connections again and tested it for 72 hour. Hopefully the problem has been resolved. Sargent implied vibration may have caused the connectors to work loose.

Unfortunately my dealer at Reading doesn't do wheel balancing. I took the wheels off and got them checked and balanced at a nearby tyre dealer.

Just been told by my dealer that can’t get a new fridge door until Mid March 2022! Happy days! 

Keith, that is bad news. A guy on a FB group I'm on had all kinds of problems with his Dometic fridge. He had a 7 months wait for the parts to be delivered to his dealer. His caravan was brand new, so it makes you wonder about the PDI?

I understand the problems with these fridges is that a support under the fridge door was apparently recommended by Dometic, but on the 2021 models Coachman did not fit the support. That’s what I’ve read elsewhere anyway. Seems that the doors definitely need a support. Coachman have fitted one in the 2022 models. Also my dealer has been told to do this modification when my new fridge door is fitted. Whenever that my be! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

We have a Coachman 460 VIP 2021 model with the Dometic 10 double sided opening door which we picked up in April 2021.

Door open alarm sounded as soon as we got the caravan home. Rang dealer who said 6 other customers had reported same problem that week and they would speak to Coachman. Told to lift door on shutting!!

When loading door for first trip door would not shut due to door dropping on hinged side so need two hands to push hinge back and then other hand to shut door. Resolved for holiday by putting support under RHS of fridge and only opening LHS.

Messaged dealer, Coachman and Dometic. No reply from Dometic, Coachman said speak to dealer and dealer doesn't seem to have been able to make any progress.

Therefore I've made a pin to fit in the top of the RHS hinge to stop the door moving forward out of the mechanism and mounted a small plate over the pin on the front of the fridge to provide extra support and make it look like it's part of the fridge. Can now only open fridge on LHS but that is fine as it's the kitchen side of the fridge and door now opens properly and can be shut even with 2 four pints of milk in the door without any problem.

Timmg,

Thank you for your useful feedback. I would like to do the same as you. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your mod please?

Doc1.docx

Hi,

First photo shows wheere I put the pin, glued in and made from 2 BA bolt as good size for slot in frame and 2nd photo shows plate covering.

Trust this helps.

Thanks Timmg,

That looks a reasonably easy fix. Now on my to do list.

David

• 4 weeks later...

Seems very unfortunate that customers have to resort to such fixes. Proves the fridges aren’t up to the job. Having said that, I’m pleased to report that my dealer has now fixed my fridge door, at least for the moment! They actually fitted a brand new fridge!! Hopefully the door on this will be better than the first one, which only lasted 7 months from new. 

Great result Keith. Let's hope you don't become unhinged again? 😉

Morning Seaman. I’m already unhinged with the amount of problems I’ve had with this van! But let’s see how the new fridge performs! 

On 11/12/2021 at 17:16, Keith100 said:

Seems that the doors definitely need a support. Coachman have fitted one in the 2022 models.

Has anyone got any details on what this support in the 2022 model is versus the 2021 for the Coachmans?

Morning Seaman. I’m already unhinged with the amount of problems I’ve had with this van! But let’s see how the new fridge performs! 

Hi 8ftWanderer. All a bit confusing is this.  An earlier post had said that the Dometic engineer had said that Coachman had not fitted a support on the 2021 models. When my dealer ordered the new fridge door ( which then turned into a new fridge!) the dealer said he had also ordered the modification so they could fit a support. I looked online at a new 2022 model and the fridge clearly shows a sort of plinth under the fridge door.  However when I picked up my van after repair I expected it to look the same.  It didn’t! When I questioned this, the manager of the service dept. showed me the support he had received from Coachman. This is basically a piece of wood about 18 or 24 ins long by about 1 1/2 ins wide. He said they hadn’t fitted this because he’d been told by Coachman that my fridge already has a support, so a second one unnecessary! The mind boggles. I have been assured mine has a support, but it doesn’t look anything like the plinth under the door in the 2022 models. That’s all I can say. I suppose time will tell! 

Upgrade kit

Does anyone have any experience with Dometic so-called upgrade kit for the RML 10.4S fridge which seems to include a redesigned door which is marketed as having full length attractive aluminium handles and can be opened either side? It does raise the question as to the fitness for purpose of the door as delivered. We have just rejected a new van with the Dometic 10.4S after it was fitted with a compete new fridge showing exactly the same warped door as the original which resulted in the temperature alarm constantly sounding and fridge not maintaining temperature. One of the hinges also broke on the original.

Edited by Hollowhead

On 11/12/2021 at 17:16, Keith100 said:

I understand the problems with these fridges is that a support under the fridge door was apparently recommended by Dometic, but on the 2021 models Coachman did not fit the support. That’s what I’ve read elsewhere anyway. Seems that the doors definitely need a support. Coachman have fitted one in the 2022 models. Also my dealer has been told to do this modification when my new fridge door is fitted. Whenever that my be! 

Have you had an update on this? Did you receive a new door and has a support for some sort been fitted below the fridge?

See my post of 29 January regarding the support please. My earlier post of 27 January mentions my dealer fitted a new fridge, not just a new door. Hopefully this helps. 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have now received the support kit through my dealer from Coachman for the Coachman VIP 460 2021 version; photos attached.

Yes the 'support kit' is a piece of wood coloured to match the inside of the caravan and is basically the piece that sits under the fridge frame cabinet. The 'support kit' sits under the plastic lip at the bottom of the fridge and sits on the carpet.

The piece of wood is so sized that the fitment is quite loose and will probably slide out when towing the van. If I were to permanently fix the 'support kit' to the bottom of the lip then the removable carpets would no longer be removable.

I've contacted my dealership who replied they had the same thoughts as me and have forwarded my email to Dometic and Coachman for resolution. To get this far has taken nearly 12 months since picking up the van and having the door bleeping on the driveway the following day.

I have pointed out in my email the media discussion on this problem which can't be helping the Coachman, Dometic brand plus if a loaded fridge door falls off injuring someone's leg then discussions, I would have thought, will be much more serious.

I'm glad I did the RHS top hinge pin modification last summer as this seems to still work well, see previous message above in January and photos.

We'll see what happens!

Support kit.docx