MotorhomeTalk Merge

It makes more sense to merge MT with CT - as it was years ago. It keeps costs and workload down while improving the reach of CT.

It's been discussed for quite a while now. The preferred option was to do a database merge so that all would be seamlessly combined but that proved to be a technical risk. In the end we've opted for a pragmatic and simple approach to retaining relevant threads... copy paste.

For members exclusive to CT you'll just see a new section with abbreviated posts from MT. For those exclusive to MT it's going to need a new user account on CT.

Jon

Are we going to change the name to Caravan and Motorhome Talk?  The reason I ask is I don't think you will get so many motorhomers joining a forum with just caravan in the title. You may well retain those that migrate from a caravan to a motorhome. I do appreciate that Motorhome Talk has not really caught on as a stand alone forum probably because of the proliferation  of Facebook Groups, so can understand the reasoning behind it. 

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Makes sense as many things are common to both.

• 2 weeks later...

As a side note, we have more motorhome owners that use Caravan Talk than are active on Motorhome Talk, and of course some owners are members of both forums. Caravan Talk is also an established name, and will be found when searching the Internet for motorhome related topics.

We will do our best to include MH owners as we are all seeking independent accommodation for our holidays, and even if that style of holiday may vary, much of the onboard equipment is common to tourers, campervans and motorhomes. 

Admin

"Caravan & Motorhome Talk" .... here we come!

Cheers, Martin

Methinks "Caravan, Motorhome, Trailer Tent, Statics but no Brexit Talk" has a certain catchy ring to it!

3 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

do you really think it would be worth the effort of changing a well known name to accommodate a section of people that are already using the forum?  This reminds me of the CMC when they changed the name and although I put the CMC initials I still think of it as the CC and I believe all the financial side is still the CC.  I say if it ain't broke , don't fix it.

3 minutes ago, joanie said:

do you really think it would be worth the effort of changing a well known name to accommodate a section of people that are already using the forum?  This reminds me of the CMC when they changed the name and although I put the CMC initials I still think of it as the CC and I believe all the financial side is still the CC.  I say if it ain't broke , don't fix it.

You are absolutely right Joanie, if you go to GOOGLE and put in caravan club it will come up with,

"The Caravan Club: The Caravan and Motorhome Club 

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/"

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

1 hour ago, joanie said:

It's not really a question of 'it aint broke', more' what is the objective of the forum' (which in reality is a question to the forum owners) - if its just a merge of 'as is' CT & MT (and we are not overly bothered about attracting new motorhomers) then yes, leave as is. I suspect, like myself with a foot in both camps, many of the motorhome owners on the forum have come from caravanning and not joined whilst owning a motorhome. CT is very much caravan centric (I include statics in that), I have not seen a motorhome post for some time if at all. Likewise the Motorhome dedicated forum is quieter yet many of its questions we could all help with (I have been tempted to join on several occasions to assist members but refrained knowing the intent to merge).

So as it stands now, no I don't think it's worth the effort, however to actively encourage NEW members who are motorhome owners to our forum I absolutely think it's essential. 

I honestly don't think changing our forum name is comparable to the huge cost and scale the Caravan Club went through. We could be quite subtle about it too.

1 hour ago, SamD said:

Methinks "Caravan, Motorhome, Trailer Tent, Statics but no Brexit Talk" has a certain catchy ring to it!

Funny Sam I nearly tounge-in-cheek said similar about tents and trailer tents but resisted :P

Cheers, Martin

2 hours ago, MartinJB said:

How would the change of name to the above or similar, affect Google ( or other search engine ) search results ?

Would the new name be lower down the list until it got established ?

3 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

How would the change of name to the above or similar, affect Google ( or other search engine ) search results ?

Would the new name be lower down the list until it got established ?

Jon is the SEO expert, but in reality it depends what you are searching (the search term) - thats where I find CT performs superbly and still would even in a name change. In my opinion people join having searched for help on their issue and then post - they either stick around or post once and solve their problem (and run for the hills :D).

All depends how it's executed, just as Doosan pointed out above the domain does not really have to change.

Cheers, Martin

The only real SEO impact is if the domain changes and we have to implement a site wide 301 redirect (hey Google, it was there now it's here). This then needs to be maintained well beyond what is recommended as we have many, many deep links back to the forum (links to individual threads).

Other than a domain name change we might get some slippage on our brand keyword but this is so strong I doubt that it would make any difference.

'Caravan and Motorhome Talk' actually is better than CaravanTalk as it makes Caravan and Motorhome distinct words. This will trickle through so that when our new name is combined with other phrases we get a bit of a boost. The benefit will accumulate in long tail phrases such as 'Caravan and Motorhome Talk insurance in Doncaster'.

Probably more than you wanted to know :)

Other issues relate to consistency, replacing all old references, contracts and agreements, and so on. Nothing difficult, just a lot of work.

It will happen, in the fullness of time.........................

Possibly Caravan and Motorhome as the name would attract more newcomers to the site as  if not the motorhomers may not realise it is for them.

On 10/04/2021 at 09:41, Admin said:

As a side note, we have more motorhome owners that use Caravan Talk than are active on Motorhome Talk, and of course some owners are members of both forums. Caravan Talk is also an established name, and will be found when searching the Internet for motorhome related topics.

We will do our best to include MH owners as we are all seeking independent accommodation for our holidays, and even if that style of holiday may vary, much of the onboard equipment is common to tourers, campervans and motorhomes. 

Admin

I just wonder if those motorhomers that contribute to this forum have previously been caravanners, I imagine many have?  As I said previously motorhomers who have previously not been members of Caravan Talk are unlikely to join because not unreasonably they think it is just a caravan forum so they will take it at face value. There was a lot of negativeness when the Caravan Club decided to change its name to the Caravan and Motorhome Club, mainly from caravanners of course! If are serious about being inclusive I think we have to change the name.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

I Like it! 

766416465_Screenshot2021-04-14at17_17_12.png.1e92e7e27f4c03a7e96dec1a2e1105fd.png

Cheers, Martin

Looks good. Clear and simple, always the best way to have impact.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

2 hours ago, klyne said:

Looks good. Clear and simple, always the best way to have impact.

David

Except that the ampersand is in a different font.

8 hours ago, SamD said:

and you don’t think that was done  as part of the design?

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

8 hours ago, SamD said:

So is the word "Talk" in the speech bubble :blink:

I'm sure the logo will be fine-tuned over time.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

As Jon said it’s not the final logo - here it is in a different background - I really like it nice and clean & simple

70AAEE2E-6C2B-4FB8-9281-3C537381394B.jpeg.6211d0fe9c3dfcfa913eac9493692695.jpeg

Cheers, Martin

42 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

As Jon said it’s not the final logo - here it is in a different background - I really like it nice and clean & simple

70AAEE2E-6C2B-4FB8-9281-3C537381394B.jpeg.6211d0fe9c3dfcfa913eac9493692695.jpeg

I much prefer the blue background. Perhaps a poll is needed?

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

1 minute ago, Doosan said:

I much prefer the blue background. Perhaps a poll is needed?

That’s just the image on a different part of the forum, the blue is up top in the forum banner 😊

Cheers, Martin

Well if there's a poll I insist that an option for sky blue pink on a mauve teddy bear background is included.....on the other hand, why don't we just leave it to the site owners to decide. I'm sure they won't employ any controversial or detrimental designs.

Edited by Legal Eagle