Decided to change my van this year after 3 years of good use. Got me thinking how often should you change your aquaroll and what is the best hosepipe to use for the mains supply to the aquaroll.

Any help most appreciated and where is the best place to buy an aquaroll from.

How often to change aqua roll. Hmm. Well mine are both north of fifteen years old, and still going strong. Had to purchase some of the spring clips that hold the handle together, but otherwise all good. 
Re the hose, food grade is best

Keep the aqua roll, buy a float for main side filler and buy food grade hose if you are worried. We use a Streetwize expandable hose on a reel. About £7 off eBay - not food grade but remember your Aqua roll is open to the elements a little. Advice to me was never use direct mains water into the van. A friend once had a pressure switch/valve failure and it flooded his van floor.  So, even on service pitches we (and many others) always us the Aqua roll as a fail safe device.

Ours are both also 15 years old, just give them a purification clean at the start of each year, never thought about changing them.

We use the Aquaroll blue pipes and extensions with the float system but more and more use the direct feed into the caravan, all very well if your caravan has the necessary input connection.

If using the direct feed we always turn it off at the tap when we leave the caravan.

My first port of call for anything I buy these days is eBay.

20210327_083753.thumb.png.491c4ddde63d112841f5030a163da4f7.png

20210327_084130.thumb.png.2324827926947aa86f62adeccfd9fb00.png

Edited by Griff
Pic's added.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Like a lot of caravanners, we never consume water direct from the van system - too many nooks and crannies for water to sit exposed to the atmosphere for weeks till next van trip - an ideal breeding ground. I know many will disagree......

Consequently our aquaroll is years old and use a basic garden hose to connect to a £12.95 eBay mains adapter valve - job done for very little cost.

As for the waste water...... and support straps from here:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-Waste-Pipe-Adjustable-Support-Straps-for-rigid-flexi-pipes-SET-of-3/393025953114?hash=item5b822c1d5a:g:aj0AAOSwPjxflTnA

newwaste2.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

2 hours ago, chrishconnolly said:

Decided to change my van this year after 3 years of good use. Got me thinking how often should you change your aquaroll and what is the best hosepipe to use for the mains supply to the aquaroll.

Any help most appreciated and where is the best place to buy an aquaroll from.

why would you consider changing an Aqua roll?

when you ask best place do buy from, what do you mean best place, cheapest?

A lot of my stuff has come from car boot sales and they are cheap enough for me to have spares in case any get stolen.  calor gas, 40L aqua roll, waste master, folding aluminium step, milinco towing mirrors, aero tec ground sheet, jumbo feet for the steadies, EHU lead, pneumatic jockey wheel all spares from car boot sales

macafee2

I would, as others, give it a clean now and then-as we never use the water from the aquaroll for drinking I feel this is enough.

Cant see the need to change but if you need to suggest a Google search to find the 'best' place to buy.

Never bought new aqua rolls always s/h.

First two had to replace due to the caps being too small for pump on a caravan change.

Changed to present ones to 40 ltr ones to replace the 30 ltr ones above.

I clean then beginning of each season inside and the caravan pipes and for drinking and cooking a filter jug used with filter changed as recommended.

Both of us still alive.

I fill the aqua rolls from site tap with a washing machine filler pipe like used on twin tubs with the universal rubber connector on one end on the other end I have the hoselock type to screw on the taps with a screw thread.

I agree with Griff. But as I said earlier IF the input on the van fails then water at mains pressure flows into your van uninterrupted until you spot it. Aqua roll and float for me regardless. The mains supply and Aqua roll still relieves you from the constant filling. We have an on board 40 Ltr tank and this setup constantly fills this too. We use a two way branch on the pitch tap so we can wash boots, fill the bucket for the dog's water, etc etc. and still remain connected to the van.    

We also use Toad's waste arrangement.  Saw this on site and copied it.  Made the straps from an old awning wheel arch cover and some spare 32mm waste pipe out of the garage. Easy job and a no-cost upgrade. Happy days! 

Edited by yorkyguy
4 minutes ago, yorkyguy said:

I agree with Griff. But as I said earlier IF the input on the van fails then water at mains pressure flows into your van uninterrupted until you spot it. Aqua roll and float for me regardless. The mains supply and Aqua roll still relieves yo from the constant filling. We have an on board 40 Ltr tank and this setup constantly fills this too. We use a two way branch on the pitch tap so we can wash boots, fill the bucket for the dog's water, etc etc. and still remain connected to the van.    

...and if you have any failure within the van, the aquaroll will empty the local reservoir into your van albeit slightly more slowly than a mains feed.  If you follow the mantra of turning off any external supply when not in use, then either method is fine  I use mains to the onboard tank which is turned off once tank full.  As safe as any other method.

We just give our 12 year old aquarolls a swill out with Milton before a trip, but not pump it into the van as it is not so good on stainless steel,e.g. the water heater.  Milton also gives tea a bad taste. We do use a minimum dose of Elsil at each fill up (which is OK with tea!).

If on mains water hook up, we use a float connector on the aquaroll.  The van was supplied with a direct pressure reducing input, but after a few months this failed and flooded the van.

Normal hose pipe can leach chemicals into the water which is not so good, but if the tap is a long way away we do use them.

Chris - couldn't agree more!  Feeding water into a van always has some risk but I would sooner keep an Aquaroll connected at low pressure than direct connection  to the mains. Its unlikely to empty the local reservoir no matter what you do. I'm working on using the food grade direct connector to fit onto the float in the Aquaroll so I dont have to carry tons of pipe!!  :D

13 hours ago, SamD said:

...and if you have any failure within the van, the aquaroll will empty the...

Had exactly this with our first caravan 15 years back on its maiden outing using the ballcock setup.

All connected up and settled down for the night feet up and a push fit connector decided to partially push off.

Only noticed it when my wife stood up and put a foot onto a soggy carpet, good job we hadn't gone to bed.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Never even thought of renewing the aquaroll! Like many others we only use the aquaroll for washing etc (via a direct feed and ball valve )

Drinking water we use a 5 litre "Designer Water" bottle recycled from friends who insist on only using bottled water at home (more money than sense :rolleyes: but they do keep us well supplied with empty containers :))

Th link in Road Toads post doesn't work for me, the supports can be found Here

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

On 27/03/2021 at 08:42, yorkyguy said:

Keep the aqua roll, buy a float for main side filler and buy food grade hose if you are worried. We use a Streetwize expandable hose on a reel. About £7 off eBay - not food grade but remember your Aqua roll is open to the elements a little. Advice to me was never use direct mains water into the van. A friend once had a pressure switch/valve failure and it flooded his van floor.  So, even on service pitches we (and many others) always us the Aqua roll as a fail safe device.

Not so. If you have a pipe fail in the caravan, then if the pump energises due to pressure drop (as normal) the contents of the Aquaroll and more will be deposited into the caravan, if the supply is not turned off at the source, it will keep pumping. if you use a system like shown above in Griff's post (lower image) the blue item attached is a pressure reducer, so you do not get mains pressure direct to the caravan. We have both , aquaroll with float valve and the Truma kit (gift from my brother) used it all 3 times away last year.  

On 27/03/2021 at 07:22, chrishconnolly said:

Got me thinking how often should you change your aquaroll

For a minute I couldn't believe I was reading that. :)   I think the last time I changed my Aquaroll was when they increased the size from 29ltrs to 40.    After I bought a new one,  I recycled the smaller ones into shrub pots. :D

790468158_CaravanPort.JPG.b8a969f4717943f3775b9d1286d33714.JPG

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

We have been using a Whale Aquasource for twenty odd years now, but due to the pandemic we may have to think of something else. It delivers water at a lower pressure than the caravan pump, it was OK with an onboard pump because we could use both, but our Cadiz has the pump in the barrel so using the Aquasource we would only get the lower pressure which might not be good enough for the shower.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

On 27/03/2021 at 08:42, yorkyguy said:

The problem with the water from a Aqua roll is the chlorine gas has gassed off so if the roll has any deposits in or other contaminates its not good to drink direct.

It always bemuses me that folks won’t drink water from the van. It’s their choice, and I respect that, but we have drunk water from van system for many years. 
I don’t have any concerns about the water sitting in barrel, as with showers  and washing up, we use a barrel daily. 
Similarly the water in the pipes gets flushed every time water is used. 
We also puriclean the whole system and barrels regularly. 

1 hour ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

It always bemuses me that folks won’t drink water from the van. It’s their choice, and I respect that, but we have drunk water from van system for many years. 
I don’t have any concerns about the water sitting in barrel, as with showers  and washing up, we use a barrel daily. 
Similarly the water in the pipes gets flushed every time water is used. 
We also puriclean the whole system and barrels regularly. 

I think it’s “modern” problem. The manufacturers of all sorts of “cleansing” materials have convinced people that they are at dire risk from all manner of “germs” and “bacteria” There’s one at present who claim their product kills germs, bacteria, and viruses but if you look closely at the info at the bottom of the screen it requires a five minute contact to kill viruses, so pretty much useless in day to day use! It’s a surface cleaner so is probably just wiped across in seconds anyway  :rolleyes:

The human body is pretty adept at coming up with defences against (most) germs and bacteria quite happily without the need for a vast array of special “stuff” and it has done so for millennia (if it hadn’t we wouldn’t be here now) 

We don’t use the water out of an aqua roll simply because, to our taste, it has a slight taint and not because we are worried about “catching” something, or something carcinogenic might have leached out into the water. Years ago houses had water supplied in lead pipes, very few suffered any adverse effects after tens of years of exposure rather than a couple of weeks each year!  

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

We have an on board tank filled from the Aquaroll. After any significant length of time of non use I give the whole caravan system a good soak with Puriclean followed by thorough rinsing before a trip. I then have no qualms over taking our drinking supply from the caravan system and over many years have never suffered any ill effects. More because of varying water taste than anything else we do use a Brita filter jug as well. We use this at home for the same reason so it is no inconvenience to take and use it in the van as well.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

6 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Years ago houses had water supplied in lead pipes

Years ago! Mains into our house is still lead. Have been drinking it straight from the tap for the last fourty years or so. As far as I know it hasn’t had any detrimental effect.   
I believe a lot of ‘experts’ suggest that the modern obsession with cleanliness is leading the younger generation to have less defence against all sorts of illnesses. 
Fortunately my kids were exposed to all sorts and everything and they and there kids are all as tough as old boots and really don’t suffer much at all, not even colds.

Our water/waste containers are 20 years old and there is nothing wrong with them. However, the washing up bowl plastic has started to degrade and when I picked it up the other day the sides broke so that now needs replacing. At the start of the season the clean water container is cleaned by filling with water and some Milton for about 30 minutes. The waste container just gets swilled out when it is emptied. I do not use a hose pipe since placing the water container under the filling tap with a tap/hose connector on it will direct the water flow straight into the container.

OK David, how do you configure your setup? Do you fill the A/R (with internal float) via the blue feed, with pressure reducing valve from the stand pipe and then use the standard take off from the top of the A/R into the van?? :blush:

1 hour ago, yorkyguy said:

OK David, how do you configure your setup? Do you fill the A/R (with internal float) via the blue feed, with pressure reducing valve from the stand pipe and then use the standard take off from the top of the A/R into the van?? :blush:

If using the float system in the Aquaroll you just need a standard (food grade ideally) hose to connect to the stand pipe. You only need the hose with a pressure regulator if you are connecting direct to the caravan inlet and using the regulated mains pressure to pressurise the internal caravan water system. i.e. one or other of the two hoses pictured in Griffs post early in this thread.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco