Living full time in a touring caravan

Lorenzo

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

Hi Lorenzo. Unless you have a friend or relative who will allow to park on their property & use their facilities & electricity for no cost then you will certainly have to pay rent to somebody.  Even a cheap campsite will charge probably £100pw.  If you get farm work then you can park legally on the farm if allowed but outside of most of that you are on dodgy ground ducking & diving. 

If you really want to go the “stealth camping” route then you are better off converting a panel van & living in that. Plenty do that. 

My only issue with panel van is that they are not as good as a solution as a caravan in terms of living inside. But I see your point :/ Another thing is if you put solar panels on the van it would quickly be spotted as someone is living inside it, isn't it?

Edited by Lorenzo

How about wild camping in a motor home mixed with camping in a camp site?

I think from close examination of any van you could tell if it had been converted to a campervan.  There are in fact plenty living in motorhomes & campervans but the high cost of even really old motorhomes will make many people start off with a large panel van a few years old & convert it for living in. 

I think to an extent councils have to accept there are van dwellers in their area & provided they move about a bit & keep the place tidy then no issues.  It is far easier to park for nothing at night in a van than a caravan. Imo to live in a touring caravan successfully you need somewhere to park it which you will likely have to pay for 

2 minutes ago, Lorenzo said:

How about wild camping in a motor home mixed with camping in a camp site?

Yes you could do that but you would probably need a proper campervan/motorhome.  The issue is that many campsites will not accept panel vans unless they look like properly converted campervans with windows & permanently installed interiors. Ie not a used ex builder’s tranny with a bed & a camping stove inside. 

It’s certainly a lot easier to live full time in a Motorhome rather than a caravan. You can park up overnight on industrial estates, supermarket car parks etc and move on virtually instantly due to onboard water and waste tanks rather than having to empty water carriers etc and wind up corner steadies. Many people have/do full time in motorhomes for years at a time and thoroughly enjoyed it. If you have a look on the Motorhome Facts forum there is a wealth of information about doing just that. 

However motorhomes (a campervan is of no use, too small and not enough facilities)  cost vastly more than a caravan, in addition there is less useable interior space for a given size due to the engine and front seats etc eating into the space. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I really don't think we should suggest that members park up overnight on supermarket car parks and industrial estates. 

I know in my town it would be frowned upon and ask for authorities to get involved. We have a responsibility with an open forum. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

23 minutes ago, WispMan said:

I really don't think we should suggest that members park up overnight on supermarket car parks and industrial estates. 

I know in my town it would be frowned upon and ask for authorities to get involved. We have a responsibility with an open forum. 

I agree with you although I would be the first to ask how's that possible without causing nuisance for others and yourself. 

Your answer intrigued me, so I did a google search, and discovered that (contrary to my expectations) there is nothing legally against living in a caravan, motorhome, or even a car.

There is, however, a lot of legislation about where you can park in order to live, and even more about disposing of waste, which means at intervals you will need to pay for a pitch in order to dispose of waste, refill, etc.

There seems to be a lot more campervans and converted vans about now, and a lot of these stop in car parks, supermarkets, industrial estates, which in turn means they are becoming much more noticeable (especially those who take the opportunity to get rid of household rubbish in or by the nearest bin) so many authorities are now much, much quicker to move them on (or, currently, fine them for breaching the covid stay-at-home legislation).

I  was surprised to discover that the fixed address you need to have for most things (banks, car tax, driving licence, etc) is actually a fixed address where you can be contacted.

Provided that you do not mislead people into thinking this is also your home address, it is legal to use (as long as you have their permission) a friend's, relative's or work address for your contact address - but as they will be receiving your personal mail, they need to be somebody that you trust implicitly, as you may need them to open your mail in case something is urgent.

The biggest problem is going to be insurance as you must make it clear that the contact address is not the address where your vehicle is kept, and that the vehicle will be on the move. There will be  insurers to cover you, but it will probably not be the mainstream ones.

Bear in mind that if at some stage in the future you want to go back to mainstream lifestyle (it could happen) or even change jobs, the lack of a previous permanent address and associated bill payments (such as council tax, utilities)  may cause some (most?) institutions to be very nervous, so make sure that you keep diligently up to date with all credit card payments, mobile phone payments,insurance, etc so that you can prove who you are and that you have a history.

:goodpost:

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

Remember we are talking about motorhomes now not caravans!

I am not advocating long term use, just the occasional night. Roads in an Industrial Estate are public highways and you can therefore park there (Unless there are parking restrictions.) Many HGV’s do exactly that (due to the dearth of lorry parks) and move on the next morning without any issues at all. Industrial estates rarely have inhabitants so it doesn’t cause any problems. 

Supermarket car parks are nearly always open 24/7 Some have limited parking times or height barriers, others are unrestricted. Provided no nuisance (dumping of rubbish/waste water etc) is caused many supermarkets are quite happy for MH’s to park up overnight. I did it often around the U.K. when I ran a MH,  but always asked in the store first. I was never denied parking overnight. In France many supermarkets actively encourage MH’s to park up overnight provided its after closing and “out of the way” rather than right in front of the doors in the hope the occupants might spend some money inside the next morning. Done that a lot over the years. 

Travellers seem to manage, maybe they use  a traveller site as an address. Although a lot of them seem to think that laws do not apply to them anyway!

Once covid restrictions are done with you could move around various camp sites and CL/CS s.

That way you get your electric and waste issues resolved.  

4 hours ago, 664DaveS said:

Travellers seem to manage, maybe they use  a traveller site as an address. Although a lot of them seem to think that laws do not apply to them anyway!

Many Irish travellers will already have a fixed address in Ireland that can be used.

Those living on an official Travellers' site will be able to use that as their address (they will be paying rent, council tax and utilities for their pitch).

Plus Adrian Flux advertise vehicle insurance for travellers and nomadic workers.

I attach the link, as it may be of interest for the OP later.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/itinerant-worker-insurance/

5 hours ago, 664DaveS said:

Except the laws that are of benefit to them! 

10 hours ago, ian16527 said:

I often wonder how the other caravan full time dwellers manage with car insurance and addresses. 

What they do Ian is use a relative or friend’s address as their own. All insurance & banking done from that address then go on permanent holiday in the caravan. If you are worried about the legalities of that then you probably wouldn’t be a full timer anyway.

3 minutes ago, Odd days said:

Another thing be it caravan or motorhome they are not built for the hard life of fulltime living and wear and tear can mean paying for repairs and replacing parts.

Still a lot less than Council Tax! I live in a band D house (3 bed semi) and my mine is over £220 a year.

12 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Still a lot less than Council Tax! I live in a band D house (3 bed semi) and my mine is over £220 a year.

Bargain! 😂

Cheers, Martin

13 hours ago, Camperdom said:

What they do Ian is use a relative or friend’s address as their own. All insurance & banking done from that address then go on permanent holiday in the caravan. If you are worried about the legalities of that then you probably wouldn’t be a full timer anyway.

Thanks Camperdom but I meant the ones that offer tree cutting services.

The answer has been supplied by 2 seaside.

15 hours ago, 2seaside said:

Many Irish travellers will already have a fixed address in Ireland that can be used.

Those living on an official Travellers' site will be able to use that as their address (they will be paying rent, council tax and utilities for their pitch).

We have a temporary site close by, which the council set up, although they don't seem to have applied for planning permission for. The visitors use this for free from April to Oct. Then the council take away all the stuff they have donated to the community, which is considerable.