2018/2019 Q7 - 3 ltr TDI - 228 or 282 bhp

Hi all,

after some advice please - going to be buying a Q7 to tow my caravan (circa 1500kg).

There are 2 versions  I’m looking at, both 3 ltr diesels but one is 228 bhp and the other is 282 bhp. I’m sure both with tow fantastically and lots of reviews are available for the faster model. However I’m just wondering, do I need the faster model or will the 228bhp do?

I’m not a speed freak but don’t want to get the slower model and regret it if it is a bit sluggish towing? Anyone out theretowing with these models that could give me some advice would be much appreciated.

Also, ill be having a tow bar retro fit, other than coding, does the Q7 need any upgrades such as fans etc? I’m guessing it comes prepared....

thank you,

sparkster

Edited by sparkster

We tow with 190bhp but our caravan is 2000kg. It's all relative but we really tow with no effort. If you can afford it I am of the 'you can't have enough power' type but either will be fine I am sure. There are some on here who have discussed a lack of torque with the equivalent tourareg  so check the torque of the two models, running costs and reviews. Sometime the lesser powered vag engines are smoother but others on here will know more.

My Touareg is 263bhp and it tows our Knaus with a max weight of 2000kg with  power to spare.  I think I've surprised a few people setting off from traffic lights and seeing them disappear in my rear view mirror!  Just to give you an idea of the torque - that long uphill stretch of the M5 after Avonmouth, heading south - where the motorway splits into two levels - it tows the van up there at 60mph in 8th gear without even a hint of it needing to change down.  It makes for very relaxed towing.

With regard to upgrading the fan etc - this being my second Treg, I was aware when I bought this one (new) that the handbook said it was "recommended" that an upgraded cooling fan be fitted if it was going to be used for towing.  Not wishing to invalidate the warranty on what was an expensive vehicle I got both the supplying dealer and my local Bosch service centre to enquire with VAG UK, independently, exactly what 'recommended' meant. Both came back with the answer that any towing related warranty claim would be invalid if the fan wasn't upgraded. 

I then argued that the car was advertised as having a towing limit of 3.5 tons and nowhere in any of the literature or adverts was there any indication that this was subject to me spending another £850 for an upgraded fan.  VW relinquished and fitted it FOC.  Ironically, if you order a factory fitted towbar and electrics, it came with the upgraded fan as standard.  The additional cost then was £750 as opposed to the £1200 I paid just for the towbar etc.

Before anybody asks, I saved a shed load of money by buying a stock car rather than waiting three months for an ordered one.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

Wasn't there a post a while back about the lower power version having problems with low rpm torque due to the mapping for emissions?

Can't seem to find it.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

I would always go for the most powerful version of anything. Nothing to do with speed, more to do with additional power reserves making driving and towing more relaxing. 

Thanks all for the great advice.

I would just hate to buy one and be sat on the M5 thinking..... wish I’d bought the quicker one.

2 hours ago, logiclee said:

Wasn't there a post a while back about the lower power version having problems with low rpm torque due to the mapping for emissions?

Can't seem to find it.

I seem to remember that was for the Touareg  not a Q7

In an absolute quandary. Just been told by Audi that if I have tow bar fit that isn’t done by Audi then it invalidates the warranty...... 

I originally wanted one with the electric towbar but the new tow bar with sensors on the tow ball it isn’t compatible with AL-KO hitches. Someone at Audi told me that new models with electric towbars don’t come with the sensors on the tow ball....

nothing is ever simple.....

5 minutes ago, sparkster said:

In an absolute quandary. Just been told by Audi that if I have tow bar fit that isn’t done by Audi then it invalidates the warranty...... 

I originally wanted one with the electric towbar but the new tow bar with sensors on the tow ball it isn’t compatible with AL-KO hitches. Someone at Audi told me that new models with electric towbars don’t come with the sensors on the tow ball....

nothing is ever simple.....

I would strongly recommend getting a factory ( or dealer) fit towbar. The bus systems in cars these days means the EMS needs to be programmed to recognise a trailer.

If buying used that isn’t an option and a dealer will only sub contract the work out but add on a ridiculous mark up.  When i bought my used Volvo last summer the dealer wanted £850 fir a towbar, i had the same towbar fitted for £600. It was literally the same towbar and wiring loom, the last in the UK at the time. What it does need is a dedicated wiring loom and may need the dealer to reset some software to recognise the wiring. 

9 minutes ago, Flatcoat888 said:

If buying used that isn’t an option and a dealer will only sub contract the work out but add on a ridiculous mark up.  When i bought my used Volvo last summer the dealer wanted £850 fir a towbar, i had the same towbar fitted for £600. It was literally the same towbar and wiring loom, the last in the UK at the time. What it does need is a dedicated wiring loom and may need the dealer to reset some software to recognise the wiring. 

For VAG this is sometimes the case.  But sometimes far from it.

I have factory fit detachable but it's a rebranded Westfalia bar and the aftermarket bar is is identicle.

Electrics is different, the plug in loom is the same for factory or dealer but unless "Tow Bar Prep" has been specified you don't get the socket to plug the towbar loom into and then you have to start finding supplies and splice into the canbus network.

And on some models such as mine you only get upgraded cooling if Factory Towbar or Towbar Prep is specified from new. 

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

We tow 2000kg with a 235 BHP XC90 Powerpulse. Don't skimp on power or torque. Its always there in reserve if you need it. Also factory/dealer fit tow bar every time. I would be very surprised if Audi don't support AL-KO ESC electronics. Volvo even prohibits Pilot Assist and rear park sensors (but rear camera zooms in on the towbar for hitching up) because it knows there is a trailer fitted.  :D

Edited by yorkyguy

Thanks all. It’s not the electronics it’s the actual towbar ball that is the issue. It has a rubber sensor ring around the middle of it that isn’t really compatible with AL-KO hitches. 

so even though the Q7 has tow bar preparation  you guys would recommend the Audi tow bar? It’s just it’s triple the price! Eeek.

24 minutes ago, sparkster said:

. It has a rubber sensor ring around the middle of it that isn’t really compatible with AL-KO hitches. 

Rubber ring around the ball ????  Any chance of a picture as that seems bizarre in the extreme. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

37 minutes ago, sparkster said:

Thanks all. It’s not the electronics it’s the actual towbar ball that is the issue. It has a rubber sensor ring around the middle of it that isn’t really compatible with AL-KO hitches. 

so even though the Q7 has tow bar preparation  you guys would recommend the Audi tow bar? It’s just it’s triple the price! Eeek.

So are you buying new?

When we bought our Touareg 2 years ago.  I couldn’t find an Escape version with a FF towbar so I had to buy without then VW main dealer said the towbar was on back order.  So I ended up getting one fitted by PF Jones.  They also fully coded the electrics so it recognises when  a trailer is connected.  So the coding and integration with the vehicle electronics is possible after market. 

Not buying new. 2ish years old ideally. 

Here’s a pic of the rubber sensors on the tow bar I’m referring to. 

I’ve decided to go for the 282bhp and am getting firm prices for the factory fit tow bar.

thanks for the great advice. Can’t wait to get it sorted. DD7AD094-E1CE-4FDB-BAD6-B25A4F034596.thumb.png.225fa954ead3c7218c276d9ef47c1e8e.png

How very odd! Never seen anything like that before :blink:

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

It’s for their trailer assist system which lets you reverse your trailer / caravan by using the touch pad and camera on the console. Sounds amazing and I think it would be for a horse box or something like that but for an AL-KO hitch that grips the tow ball then apparently it’s not good and can  quickly cause excessive wear on the pads and sensor.  That’s why I’m looking to either an independent one fitted or an Audi detachable one. I cannot tell you how much I’ve researched this lol.

Good to know Fred - did they have to cut any of your bumper away?

I’m told Q7’s have tow bar prep and no upgrades needed. Going to get that in writing

No cuts to the bumper. Once the ball is detached there is no visible evidence of a towbar.   It was a Westphalia that was fitted and I am 99% certain that who makes the VAG branded ones.  

Hi, I am am on my third Q5 and had a bar fitted to the latest with the previous two having factory fitted bars specked when I ordered.

I had problems with both of these down to the factory spec wiring and dealer ignorance.
The factory fit electrics, in 2013 and 2017, 13 pin socket did not have 13 pins!

I knew this, and knew that I needed Audis supplementary wiring kit, but it was still a pain getting the dealers ‘master technician’ to accept he did not know everything. I prevailed and Audi UK paid.

So far as I am aware you cannot get a Audi bar fitted after it is built so that’s out and to be honest after my experience of the issues above, and the way fitting to my latest car went, I would prefer the second experience.

however, if ordering new again, would spec the bar as it’s one less worry on the warranty front, and yes, I looked into this and was told by several dealers that a non factory fit bar could invalidate it.

I had mine fitted at an independent after choosing on the basis that whatever bar was fitted if had to be invisible when removed.

The bar is a tow trust and I am very pleased with it and it was £629 which is a lot less than the factory fit.

Edited by Allan Guest

I was also told that a tow bar fitted by anyone other than a main dealer would invalidate the warranty.  Whether that was true or not, I don't know but I wasn't prepared to take the risk on a new car.  That little exercise cost me £1200 which was extortionate, but what choice did I have?

10 hours ago, fred said:

When we bought our Touareg 2 years ago.  I couldn’t find an Escape version with a FF towbar

Not surprised fred, indeed more surprised that you found an Escape at all since they were discontinued in 2016.  "Rare as rocking horse poo" one dealer told me.  I would have swapped mine before now if they'd still been around but with less than 50k on the clock in 6 years, I think I'll hang onto it for a bit longer.  Awesome off-road vehicle (with proper tyres on!):D

When I thought of a Touareg as a candidate tow vehicle I took my wife to the local VW dealer and had a look at an Rline with 20” low profile tyres.  Her words were what off-road tyres can I fit to that!   I took this as permission to search for a S/h Escape (It’s officially her car btw)

To be honest when I got ours there were another 2 for sale in the GB.   I live in  Wrexham and bought it in York so I was prepared to travel.   

As an aside to the factory fitted folding towbar most dealers don’t have a clue. If they are fitted.  You need to find out where the button/switch is fitted and get a picture of that part of the car.  In the Touareg it is located in the offside boot by the switches for the split seats and air suspension iirc.  

29 minutes ago, fred said:

When I thought of a Touareg as a candidate tow vehicle I took my wife to the local VW dealer and had a look at an Rline with 20” low profile tyres.  Her words were what off-road tyres can I fit to that!   I took this as permission to search for a S/h Escape (It’s officially her car btw)

This is mine, complete with Frontrunner roof rack and spare wheel, and BFGs fitted all round!

IMG_0945.JPG

Sorry Fred Drift

Ours came with Vredstein  Quatracs fitted.  Not A/T’s but all season and 3peaks.  I think they are excellent.    
I notice you have the big hatch fitted to the van we have one as well can’t understand why more vans don’t have them fitted.   I can get a 40l aquaroll through the hatch, much more useful than the letter box shaped hatches fitted to 99% of vans.