Remove Sargent PWM Solar Controller

Hi all,

2019 Eccles 645 caravan.

If I want to remove the factory installed PWM solar controller, and run the wires to a MPPT controller will that take any functionality away from the Command panel.
I'm thinking not.  Our van came with a factory 80W panel, our dealer installed an additional 175W, with a Epever MPPT controller.
It is the same voltage so they are compatible.

Going to be putting in a 200A Lithium battery and am tweaking our van to tidy a few things up and make it as efficient as possible.

• 1 month later...

I want to know the same... I want to up grd my sargent control from 150 to an mppt controler that will run a 200 watt panel... Can I just change the controler and add an other solar panel. 

Thinking about it, I think it will be ok as we can use the same wires, just remove plug or get an adaptor and fit wires into the new controller.
I already have a MPPT fitted with an additional 175W panel, so I can use that.

Will upgrade that eventually and add another 200 - 300 W panel.

Should be fine, Command will still report the solar performance if you use the same input to the Sargent EC unit, this sort of mod was done by a few folk over on Swift Talk replacing the standard Sargent regulator.

David just double check with the type of battery you eventually choose that the PX300 charge profile will charge it correctly, Sargent are always a good source of knowledge for questions like that.  Link to the PX300 spec here.

Cheers, Martin

I would be a bit cautious doing this. The next thing on my "to do list" on my caravan is upgrade the amount of solar.

Speaking to Sargent they advised not to go above 120w if wired through the EC600 power supply as it has a soldered 6amp fuse inside. They said that if going above 120w to wire the output of the MPPT directly to the battery.

Your setup at 255w will exceed 6amps!

I would give Sargent a call for your piece of mind

8 minutes ago, Harrib0 said:

I would be a bit cautious doing this. The next thing on my "to do list" on my caravan is upgrade the amount of solar.

Speaking to Sargent they advised not to go above 120w if wired through the EC600 power supply as it has a soldered 6amp fuse inside. They said that if going above 120w to wire the output of the MPPT directly to the battery.

Your setup at 255w will exceed 6amps!

I would give Sargent a call for your piece of mind

Very good point! its actually a 10A Polyfuse and the Sargent Regulator supports a 150W panel. Its one of those situations where seeing that level of input is rare but perhaps 200W+ is pushing it!

TBH if you replaced the regulator with a Victron Energy you get much more helpful stats via their bluetooth manager anyway.

Cheers, Martin

That's interesting as when I spoke to Sargent they told me that there could be either a 6amp or 10amp Polyfuse fitted and it depends on the colour of it, I can't remember any detail  but they said mine in a 2017 was 6amp because of it colour and would only support 120w max

I intend to wire direct to the battery anyway

I think this is the fuse(s) in question

fuse.jpg

Makes sense to be that (known as PF 2, is it labeled?), connector E9 is the panel input. 6A perhaps was to match older systems when the old regulator was max 40W so it makes sense, however the technical information I have is from late 2016 (so 2017 MY on).

Cheers, Martin

Not sure that I saw a label saying PF2?

It's all rather confusing, as you say the tech blurb says:

1 X Dedicated solar panel input capable of supporting 10A
of solar power input (typically 180 to 200W) via a 2 way
connector

But I'm sure I read somewhere that this is not necessary the case  hence my call to Sargent.

I think the OP, under good conditions, could exceed the 10amp so for the sake of a phone call I would speak to Sargent (they would want £135 to repair the EC unit if the fuse blew)

13 minutes ago, Harrib0 said:

I think the OP, under good conditions, could exceed the 10amp so for the sake of a phone call I would speak to Sargent (they would want £135 to repair the EC unit if the fuse blew)

I agree - in fact i would max 150W to be safe so would go direct to battery in the case of OP. I "might" be tempted at 200W (unless I took the caravan to places where the sun was overhead!) but defo no more!!

Cheers, Martin