Working farm storage insurers

Message added by CT Advertising,

Compare caravan insurance quotes and buy online for touring & static caravans

compareinsurance.pngCompare Caravan Insurance provides quality touring insurance, static insurance, park home insurance and leisure home insurance at competitive prices

www.compare-caravan-insurance.co.uk

As others have found out, getting insurance cover for storage on a working farm seems to be increasingly difficult.  We had an unsuccessful attempted theft of our van last year (first ever incident at the farm) the result of which insurers will not provide cover unless the farm put in additional security.  Now i am not sure how i can insist on additional measures and the farmer has not unexpectedly said ‘find somewhere else if you dont like it’, which is impossible given the demand. (I have tried 10 other locations, no joy).  Does anyone know of any farm friendly insuers?

Caravan cover from the CMHC is the only one I have found, as long as it’s stored in the UK they are happy 

Did you make a claim? If so, it has to be declared which may work against you. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

C&CC insurance covers mine on a working farm, however the storage is bunded with a locked gate and has cctv. 

CMHC? Who is that? If you mean CMC they won’t unless the farm install CCTV. The storage area is surrounded partly by buildings, farm walls topped with barbed wire, a deep trench and a massive pile of abandoned farm equipment, old vehicles etc, has only one vehicular access (through a locked gate) and before that a gate into the farm itself closed at night plus 5 vicious farm dogs (the thieves drugged them). 

I am afraid the theft rate at insecure farm locations is high and insurers are increasingly   wary of this. It may have reached the stage where  you cannot get cover, although there are a lot of insurers out there.  I think the attempted theft will make all insurers very wary, and the only answer may be to find somewhere else to put it. 

Posted (edited)

If only it was so easy!  Caravan storage vacancies and hens teeth comes to mind..... and even allegedly secure places have caravans nicked, one allegedly secure place nearby had the gates pulled off with chains tied to a 4x4 and another had a fence panel cut out with an angle grinder. In both cases there was CCTV but cctv doesn't see through masks and taped over number plates. 

Edited by Flatcoat888

I've been using a working farm storage site for about 10 years and had no problem insuring with SAGA,  Towergate and more recently Caravanguard.  The site is CASSOA Silver - perhaps the "CASSOA" registration is the difference?

The site waiting list is very long.

I think the CASSOA point is valid. The rating means the insurer can assess the security standard, which means they can then see what the risk is.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using a storage site (which is also a working farm) since 2016, it has been a caravan storage site for many decades.

im with Towergate with a new for old policy.

the storage site has been CASSOA registered for many many years, it it now pulling out of that scheme but obvs retaining the cctv, guard dogs, face to face only sign in / out .

I phoned up Towergate to let them know they are no longer CASSOA members and they were fine and no increase on my renewal 

We keep our van on a site that was a working farm but diversified into storage and a CS. We never had any issues with insurers, always asked for details of course, and the site is now run by the daughter and her husban who is ex police and the security is now more 'formal'.

The original area we were in meant driving past the house and they would always check to see who it was and, if they were away their neighbour would appear in his car to check you out!

Nowhere is 100% safe but we don't give the security a second thought.