Brighton and Hove City Council proposes to ban BBQs

Apparently the Green Party of Brighton are proposing to ban BBQs as they contribute to global warming. The locals are up in arms about it as it will impact tourism. 

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Next it will be breathing because of the CO2 contributing to global warming.

I wonder how many of the "Greens" refuse to travel by sea or air!

I also wonder what is wrong with charcoal from renewable sources!

Ms Lucas is the MP for Brighton. The following is from a recent UK newspaper article.

Caroline Lucas today said she flies to the US 'occasionally' to visit her son

The Green Party politician is one of UK's most vocal climate change campaigners

She said focusing on 'individual behaviour' lets big business 'off the hook' 

She cautioned against 'sitting in judgement on each other' on climate change

Can't be doing with the Greens; we need to do something but let's go for the big polluters first. Fortunately they aren't really a credible party. Are they? Gulp.

It's called hypocrisy.   All politicians are experts at it. 

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

I can't see the problem.

BBQ's DO add to global warning.

5 minutes ago, MalH said:

It's called hypocrisy.   All politicians are experts at it. 

Why is it hypocrisy, unless they are continuing to use BBQs themselves?

The fact that other things cause global warming, is not a reason to do nothing about certain non essential things. BBQs are NOT essential, they are a totally unnecessary luxury.

The title to this thread "BBQs to be banned." is not true and is misleading.

BBQ's are not to be banned. There is a proposal to ban them, that is all.

Edited by daveat92
14 minutes ago, Stevan said:

I wonder how many of the "Greens" refuse to travel by sea or air!

I also wonder what is wrong with charcoal from renewable sources!

And how many  Greens buy all manner of things from the greatest polluting countries in the world, from whole items, to items made in the UK or elsewhere containing components made in such as China, India, America and other gross polluters.

Every last one of them I would guess.

They can't do without their mobiles, computers, E bikes, E scooters, E cars,  AAA electrical goods etc. but conveniently forget all about the gross pollution ' somewhere else ' to produce these things.

I've mentioned before about a likeable Green Vegan chap down in the village, he mentions his beliefs but isn't pushy and when asked about the above and similar problems with everyone being Vegan, his stock answer is " Ahh well you see " then drifts on to something different.

Being a child of coal fires and ' pea soupers ' I'm all for cleaning up not only the atmosphere, but  land, water our environment etc. but totally banning  barbies be they gas, charcoal, throughout the whole of the UK will do naught for world, or even local pollution.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Heritage steam next I wonder.

What will this lot stop at. :angry:

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Reading the article most of the issue seems to be with disposable BBQ's and they're absolutely right to ban them in my opinion, but for the litter aspect.

We are plagued with them in the summer, people leave them on the beach and some cretins think it's a good idea to bury them in the sand, with tragic consequences.

Can the moderator change the title of this thread to "Disposable BBQs to be Banned in Brighton"

This would prevent angry clickbait postings.

15 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

BBQs are NOT essential, they are a totally unnecessary luxury.

Exactly the same could be said of caravans and many other items both you, I, the world and his dog possess.

Holidays abroad are not essential, changing a car, caravan van, every few years is not essential, vast swathes of commerce are devoted to none essential items, providing work and enjoyment to others and yes taxes to governments and who is to decide what is and is not essential for you I and everyone else, Chairman Mao gave it a try !

Their hypocrisy isn't if they use barbecues themselves or not, their hypocrisy lies in the fact that whilst decrying the use of and wanting to ban barbecues, their work and lifestyles produce far more pollution allied with their attitudes of  "don't do what I do do what I say. "

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

The thing is, although it's only in the proposal stage, it's not just disposable BBQs, it also include  grilling stations in Parks and open spaces, so possibly camping and caravan sites.

Edited by Grandpa Steve

19 minutes ago, meadowsweet said:

Can the moderator change the title of this thread to "Disposable BBQs to be Banned in Brighton"

Once again, a false, misleading post.

It's a PROPOSAL to ban them, not a done deal.

8 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

Poor show - read the first post.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

What will this lot stop at. 

Let me think 🤔 playing snowballs, making slides on snow, playing conkers, climbing trees, running in the playground and having Marmite in the school canteen....................oh wait a moment !

19 minutes ago, SamD said:

Poor show - read the first post.

Read the OP's original title - BBQs to be banned. - then read what has actually been proposed ONLY on Brighton & Hove Green Party run Council's beaches and open spaces.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14389770/brighton-council-plans-barbecue-beach-ban/

Edited by Legal Eagle
  • Grandpa Steve changed the title to Brighton and Hove City Council proposes to ban BBQs
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, daveat92 said:

Perhaps you should  Talk to The Sun newspaper.

Here is their first paragraph... "BBQ BAN 

Barbecues to be BANNED by council which claims they cause global warming as Brits gear up for summer"

Just saying. ;)

Edited by Doosan

3 hours ago, daveat92 said:

I can't see the problem.

BBQ's DO add to global warning.

I was alluding to the comment regarding her jetting to the USA to see her son. Sorry not to have been clear.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

If we in the U.K. got rid of all our so called polluting issues, would it make an iota of difference to the planet overall? It might  if China, India, Russia plus the USA ( who, pre Biden, were at least making strides towards reducing theirs ) made a genuine effort that might make it worthwhile. 
in the meantime, ban bbqs while China builds another coal fired power station! 

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Yes, I've been won over by all the powerful arguments you've all put forwards for doing nothing. Let's do nothing, just as ex-President trump wants to do, and carry on damaging the environment.

After all, WE don't live in low lying parts of the world that are slowly being drowned by rising sea levels due to melting snowcaps causing rising sea levels. Why should WE care?

As I have no children, and thus no grandkids or any descendents, it doesn't bother me that your grandkids and great grandkids will be living in a world of massive environmental pollution. It's your descendents that will be affected, not mine.

For the same reason we can all chuck our litter in the hedgerow because what difference does a bit more litter make?

The fact that some other countries do nothing, is not an excuse for us to do nothing.

Their argument is why should they do nothing when we do nothing?

It's chicken and egg isn't it?

53 minutes ago, Doosan said:

Perhaps you should  Talk to The Sun newspaper.

Here is their first paragraph... "BBQ BAN 

Barbecues to be BANNED by council which claims they cause global warming as Brits gear up for summer"

Just saying. ;)

I'll have to take your word for what The Sun "Newspaper" says.

3 hours ago, meadowsweet said:

but they are not only talking about banning them in Brighton, Talk of banning BBQ's in the New Forest too

macafee2

I thought BBQs  are a more natural way of cooking food.  You can go the usual way.  Electric cookers, where said electricity comes from power stations or gas which comes from different sources, ie, natural gas from north sea rigs - have you seen all the flames giving off the platforms?   Also, may be wrong, a lot of our gas comes through pipelines from Russia.  How are these pipes and north sea platforms are made?  To me BBQs are a very small addition to the climate.  Charcoal, which constitutes a lot of BBQs have been around for eons as a way of cooking food and about the most natural commodity that can be used