How much have vans gone up post virus

angie2020

Derbyclubman

How do you think the dealership makes its profit??  They are doing exactly the same as any used car dealer.  The “mark up” needs to cover all of their costs, such as....

1. Rent/mortgage for the site
  2. Business rates
  3. Gas electric and water
  4. Business insurance
  5. Staff salaries
  6. Any possible warranty issues
  7. Any rectification work necessary on what they buy in
  8. Interest on the overdraft they need in order to run their business 
  9. Up front payments to caravan manufacturers,.
  10. Reserves to cover the quiet periods of trading (the winter) 

The list is almost endless, and adds up to a pretty substantial sum of money that’s required each and every month.  Failing to cover them all will result in insolvency/bankruptcy 

Its entirely possible you would have obtained a better price had you sold privately, but by trading it in you had none of the hassle, plus of course you could be sure of having the money to off set the cost of your new one.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Derbyclubman

How do you think the dealership makes its profit??  They are doing exactly the same as any used car dealer.  The “mark up” needs to cover all of their costs

The list is almost endless, and adds up to a pretty substantial sum of money that’s required each and every month.  Failing to cover them all will result in insolvency/bankruptcy 

Oh and there was me, thinking it was all on the NHS! :D

Edited by MalH

New vans have not gone up as much as second hand ones as far as I can see, but getting a discount or a good deal looks to be far harder as everything being built is already sold. As we get into Summer though and those who want one have got it, I would not be surprised if prices soften. 

2 hours ago, WispMan said:

But I assume you were happy with the deal at that time? 

Of course I was happy with the deal at the time otherwise we wouldn't have gone ahead.

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

How do you think the dealership makes its profit??  They are doing exactly the same as any used car dealer.  The “mark up” needs to cover all of their costs,

Its entirely possible you would have obtained a better price had you sold privately, but by trading it in you had none of the hassle, plus of course you could be sure of having the money to off set the cost of your new one.

I have bought enough cars and caravans over the last fifty years to understand about dealer's mark-up and profit.

In every case it was almost a certainty that a private deal would have been more 'profitable' but like you say, I didn't want the hassle.

Perhaps I shouldn't have included that final paragraph as it seems to have upset you both - but I was trying to give further information to the original poster who had asked how much caravans had gone up in price and I gave an example where that seemed to be the case.

New vans haven't gone up so much as used, mainly because the list prices were set by manufacturers last summer and it would be a brave and openly profiteering dealer who chose to sell at prices above list. However discount on new vans have disappeared because all 2021 Model Year production has been sold through and dealers have been taking orders for 2022MY production since early Spring. With demand that high a dealer doesn't need to give away margin to get a sale.

Demand on used vans has been enormous, with dealer stocks at an all time low and that is what's driven prices upwards. The trouble is now that what's left tends to have been left for a reason. Either they're asking way too much, even for almost desperate customers, or the vans are not sought after/downright awful. The few good condition part exchanges that come on the market and aren't pre-sold get gobbled up, even at highly inflated prices.

Whether this will change later this year or next, is an unknown that can only be guessed at. I read somewhere that some folk are booking Continental and UK holidays with the intention of cancelling one or the other depending on how the covid situation develops. I can't see people who have purchased a van this year suddenly chopping it in, virtually untried, and rushing off in a jet instead. For them, this will be the caravan summer, but whether they stick with it if covid clears next year is unknowable. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I suspect issues in the supply chain will cause manufacturing issues and delays therefore prices for used will remain strong. Those who decide its not for them will probably get their money back and those who love it probably want to upgrade or buy different layout keeping demand high. Lots of people made a financial commitment to a caravan so will want the use or want to readdress the work life balence and enjoy a several quick breaks away. I think prices will remain firm well into next year. 

If you are ready just go for it and make some memories.

I have tried to go for a few vans, private and dealer, due to the amount being spent £10k ish,  I advised I wanted to get a private inspection at my cost. Was chased by both as the vans are walking out the doors without the need to be bothered with folk like me wanting an inspection. The hunt goes  on:(

1 hour ago, angie2020 said:

I have tried to go for a few vans, private and dealer, due to the amount being spent £10k ish,  I advised I wanted to get a private inspection at my cost. Was chased by both as the vans are walking out the doors without the need to be bothered with folk like me wanting an inspection. The hunt goes  on:(

Dont be bullied, at the sort of price point you are looking at a damp check is absolutely vital and you shouldn’t even think of buying a caravan without one (unless it’s from a dealer and they are offering a warranty in which case you could purchase and then get a damp check. If turns anything up you have the warranty to pick up the bill) 

Stick at it ! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Cheap one owner barely used caravans will be a glut on the market next year.

And a lot of people who’ve paid simply stupid prices for clapped out old caravans will catch a cold.

A real time snapshot of the used market. Friends, who store their van next to ours have just paid 8000 pounds for a 2010 2 berth Coachman Festival and allowed 1000 for their 1999 five berth Avondale Dart, which the dealer put up for 3500.Dealer was about 80 miles away. All sounds fair enough to me so long as new van's a good 'un. 

Just bought a 2017 Sterling Elite 565 inc air awning motor movers and all the accessories inc 2 6kg Calor bottles for £18500. Sold our 2002 Sterling Europa 520 with fiamma pull out for £3850. Judging by the amount of interest in our old sterling and the fact it sold in 20 hours on Facebook I could have prob gone as high as £4500.

Posted (edited)

Pre  Covid we reckoned on about £1000 a year depreciation on the van we paid £15000 for, from a dealer with 1 year warranty.  Three years later this spring we sold in 24 hours for £14500 privately with no warranty.  You can do the maths but it indicates the market.

By the way a dealer offered a px of £10,000 which we politely declined 

Ps, just seen a similar age van advertised for £15250, privately!

Edited by Mandarin

7 minutes ago, Mandarin said:

Pre  Covid we reckoned on about £1000 a year depreciation on the van we paid £15000 for

We used to change the caravan every two years and I used to lose a bit more than that, around £2,000 a year from memory.  The one thing that amazed me was how trade in values/price to change varied so much between dealers for the same make of caravan.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Called in at East Yorkshire Caravans this week to see if they'd ot any gas barbecues and noticed a new Bailey Unicorn Merdia Black with almost 2k discount. 

3 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Called in at East Yorkshire Caravans this week to see if they'd ot any gas barbecues and noticed a new Bailey Unicorn Merdia Black with almost 2k discount. 

2 berth non-fixed bed models aren't the most popular vans. Was it a 2021 or 2020 model?

39 minutes ago, Lagerorwine said:

2 berth non-fixed bed models aren't the most popular vans. Was it a 2021 or 2020 model?

If it's Yorkshire Coast Caravans they are offering a new 2020MY Merida at £22,955 (list was apparently £24, 564).

It could have come off the line in September 2019 and be 22 months old.

Either way, it shows that not everything is selling and some discounts are out there. They were about ready to shut so didn't really have a good look,hadn't got the barbecue I was interested in either. 

I've just checked Leisure Sales of Sandbach website. They're a big Bailey and Swift dealership. They usually have around 50 or more used vans in stock. Currently they list just 10.  

The only discount they're actively promoting is a reduction on a new 2021 Basecamp 4. Their new stock appears mainly to be their larger dealer special Swifts and the larger Bailey models.

• 1 month later...
On 25/06/2021 at 17:48, angie2020 said:

And so far have you managed to get a van that suits your needs.

or still looking or even now changed you mind and going down another avenue.

nice to know the outcome ..

The web site of one local dealer shows they have no used caravans for sale when they would normally have something in double figures. Another dealer I looked at had one 2009 Lunar for over £11,000 and no new ones, when again you would expect something in double figures.

With the almost total lack of stock at these places it means they can almost charge what they want.

If you are buying from a reputable dealer though you should get one well prepared, damp tested and a guarantee, so the need for an independent inspection may not be there.

2 hours ago, Sonar said:

And so far have you managed to get a van that suits your needs.

or still looking or even now changed you mind and going down another avenue.

nice to know the outcome ..

Hi, no we are still looking for one , however, having marked a few on Gtree to watch just as a test of the market , I see one which is still over priced ,however its not moved in a month. Its not a layout we want but I just wonder now that the summer season and school holidays are  nearly over , is there a slow change to the market. The dealers still dont have anything , and anything new that comes in is away quickly.

We have kind of settled ourselves to watching and seeing what comes up. 

My pal took his three year old van for its service and the dealer wanted to buy it off him for very little off what he paid for it. Hes tempted  to take the money and then buy once the prices come down but  not sure how long the market will remain high for .

Oh to have a crystal ball and see when all the things like bikes, caravans etc will go back to a reasonable price.

Interesting and not a surprising discussion which made me check our Phoenix+ 640 purchase. Before any trade-ins or additions the cost was £19, 264 including a basic Powrtouch mover which we upgraded, same caravan & dealer is charging £22,264 without mover. So I think we have been lucky but over a £3k in less  than 12 months.

My biggest concerns for next year will be site availability,  it’s not just caravan sales that have rocketed but I believe motorhome sales have also increased, but no new sites have been developed.

Edited by D-Hill

On insurance renewal one needs to check that the sum insured is enough for the new for old replacement value

Many have had to increase this figure on renewal as prices for vans have increased substantially since they purchased them. 

The big price jumps for some 2022 models are also "healthy" for 2021 caravans still for sale and this looks like the year to have sold on that 20+ year old caravan that's been quietly decaying in a field.

New for old cover definitely needs updating with current retail prices.

Having said all that we have just put our caravan up for sale privately on here and so high demand for quality used 'vans might be my friend too......? :rolleyes:

New caravan sales haven't 'rocketed', though demand has been high and dealers 'sold through' very early in the season. Covid has meant that new caravan production numbers have actually reduced as production staff numbers have been reduced to improve distancing.  In addition the supply chain of appliances and parts from the EU and further afield has meant vans not being completed on schedule. 

All this has meant potential buyers have been pushed into the used market which has seen a reduced supply of part exchanges. All this has created a 'perfect storm', with dealers having  to pay more to obtain stock to keep sales happening and their cashflow positive. That means they charge higher prices to keep their margin healthy.

Whether this will all go into reverse over the next 12 months remains to be seen. I suspect that many new caravanners will try out their vans in the UK this year and will aim for a Continental holiday next year. It's after that they'll decide whether to stick with it.