How much have vans gone up post virus

angie2020

Message added by CT Advertising,

unnamed.pngWe buy caravans for cash Looking to sell your second hand caravan? The Caravan Company is always looking to purchase quality second hand caravans.

We offer great part exchange packages so that you can trade in your second hand caravans for an updated model selected from our huge range of stock at any one of our branches with no hassle. www.thecaravancompany.com

Hi All

We are looking to get a caravan this year but were wondering just how much extra we will be paying for the privilege. I know  the prices are higher with the supply  v demand but just how much more.  We are torn between buying now or waiting until next year when prices might  be lower and there will be a bigger choice

thanks

• WispMan changed the title to How much have vans gone up post virus
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't try and future guess caravan prices. If you want to buy one, do it and have a great summer. It is not all about money. 

If we could all predict the future, we would be rich. 

Just do it! 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

26 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Don't try and future guess caravan prices. If you want to buy one, do it and have a great summer. It is not all about money. 

Just do it! 

:goodpost:

if you are not too fussy about getting a caravan this year then perhaps with everything going on it may be in your favour to wait until next year,  but whether or not the prices will come down is anyone's  guess, however you may get a bit more choice. I wonder how many will carry on caravanning after this year , that will be a  thread for another day.

The second hand market is very fast moving at the minute. I dropped ours off for it’s service on Saturday and there were very few second hand models available. However, the prices didn’t seem excessive but I suspect any drops in price or “freebies” thrown in will be minimal.

As has been said, if you want one and see one you like, buy it. No-one knows how long caravan-popularity will last and you might not gain anything by waiting.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Don't wait, do it now. You could wait forever for the 'right' time.

BH

10 hours ago, WispMan said:

Just do it! 

👍

Or, on the flip side. You could buy one now, tieing up a load of money, and we could have another year like last one, where you get little or no chance to use it.

I would wait if I wanted a second hand one. As soon as all the people who normally jet off to warmer climes get the go ahead I suspect that there will be a lot of second hand vans on the market which were bought for last year and this year.

we have a local dealer , who is a fair sized dealer with not one caravan for sale.  What strange times we are living in. One dealer who has sold most of his online during the lockdown, people buying with only a video tour.

There are only three caravans in the whole of Scotland that have our layout and price. 

Will see what happens once they open properly 

thanks to all who posted

We have (retired) neighbours who have been 'getting' a caravan or motorhome for the past 4 years. They are now 4 years older and have missed out on their 'dream' for the last 4 years. Perhaps it will be the right time next year...or the year after that...or the year after that. Perhaps it will be the right time when they are too old, or perhaps it will never be the right time.

You can't spend your money when you are dead. We are doing as much travelling and exploring whilst we can and are able. We took a gamble in January 2020 by travelling to Morocco, and it was brilliant. If we had thought that we'll wait until another year, we may never have gone. As it is, as soon as we are able we'll be back there again.

No one can tell what will happen in the future, in the worst case scenario the future will never come. So, you may pay a couple of thousand pounds extra for a caravan this year, but what if you find they have increased in cost next year as well? I'd rather be enjoying life than worrying about getting the cheapest deal on a caravan.

When we are too old and feeble to go on our adventures, then we can happily sit back and enjoy the memories that we have.

It all depends on your philosophy on life, our is to enjoy life as much as we can NOW.

If you worry more about how much you will spend than how much you will enjoy the caravan, then wait and see what happens. Then when you are old and feeble you can sit back and enjoy thinking about how much money you saved by not buying a caravan.

I know what I'd rather do, but then it's not me asking the question.

BH

Edited by Blackhart
Typo

1 hour ago, Blackhart said:

We have (retired) neighbours who have been 'getting' a caravan or motorhome for the past 4 years. They are now 4 years older and have missed out on their 'dream' for the last 4 years. Perhaps it will be the right time next year...or the year after that...or the year after that. Perhaps it will be the right time when they are too old, or perhaps it will never be the right time.

This made me smile because I can personally relate to it - not caravanning though, but an Alaskan Cruise & Land Tour. I have been “watching” the prices for the last 4/5 years and keep meaning to book, but always put it off, as the price increases every year. Now I think I’ve “missed the boat”. 😂

31 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

This made me smile because I can personally relate to it - not caravanning though, but an Alaskan Cruise & Land Tour. I have been “watching” the prices for the last 4/5 years and keep meaning to book, but always put it off, as the price increases every year. Now I think I’ve “missed the boat”. 😂

The snow and ice in Alaska will all have melted by the time you get around to booking !!!

1 hour ago, Glen and Les said:

I have only been on one cruise, went myself and had a brilliant holiday. 

3 hours ago, Blackhart said:

You can't spend your money when you are dead. We are doing as much travelling and exploring whilst we can and are able. We took a gamble in January 2020 by travelling to Morocco, and it was brilliant. If we had thought that we'll wait until another year, we may never have gone. As it is, as soon as we are able we'll be back there again.

No one can tell what will happen in the future, in the worst case scenario the future will never come. So, you may pay a couple of thousand pounds extra for a caravan this year, but what if you find they have increased in cost next year as well? I'd rather be enjoying life than worrying about getting the cheapest deal on a caravan.

When we are too old and feeble to go on our adventures, then we can happily sit back and enjoy the memories that we have.

It all depends on your philosophy on life, our is to enjoy life as much as we can NOW.

If you worry more about how much you will spend than how much you will enjoy the caravan, then wait and see what happens. Then when you are old and feeble you can sit back and enjoy thinking about how much money you saved by not buying a caravan.

I know what I'd rather do, but then it's not me asking the question.

BH

thanks so much and of course your correct , especially this year I think has got folk reflecting more about when  is your last grain of sand is about to fall out the timer.

The last grain of sand is about to fall out for my dad, he's 92 , visited him in hospital today and managed to get him talking about his first time touring,  1961 then had a caravanfor the next 56 years, he packed it in five years ago,  he loved touring Scotland the most. 

We retired early in 2014, in 2015 and 2016 we spent several months in Australia,  including a couple of months touring in a hired motorhome.

It was great , we would like to go again if we can.

Until the damn Covid we spent probably 6 months a year travelling. Not all at once but spread. Mostly in our caravan in UK and France but usually a cruise as well.

We intend to carry on as we aren't  getting younger!

We worked all our lives so intend to enjoy our retirement as best we can.

The problem with new models is not the price but the fact there are very few of this years models left to order so the dealers will not be doing good deals, as they do not need to.

23 hours ago, SilverSurfer said:

The last grain of sand is about to fall out for my dad, he's 92 , visited him in hospital today and managed to get him talking about his first time touring,  1961 then had a caravanfor the next 56 years, he packed it in five years ago,  he loved touring Scotland the most. 

Am sorry to hear that your dad is poorly I am glad he has happy memories of Scotland. He will have seen loads of changes in his 92 years, imagine a time without all the gadgets we have now !

Best wishes to your dad from Scotland, Angie

"2021 Census .".......I've just found out that if you own a static caravan then you need to complete an additional section on the 2021 Census form !.....this time around !

Edited by PeterR

No doubt they have gone up a bit, i reckon our pretty tired 2003 Abbey would have been £2k in 2019 but would probably go for 4k now. With a week in a 1980s haven static caravan costing 2k this summer hols even over paying a bit for a second hand one you can use multiple times still works out pretty cheap in comparison to other UK holiday options this year. 

As others have said though if you want one don't delay especially if you plan on keeping it for a few years, your regret will be not getting one sooner rather than saving a few quid. 

Thank you for your kind reply Angie 

• 3 months later...

Having changed our van a few weeks ago the dealer was spot on with the new van cost but would not haggle because he didn't need to so the price ion the window is what you paid. Not had that before. 

He did give me a little more on my trade in and put the 5yr fluid in the heating as part of the service. 

Had the van 4 weeks and been away 3 times and again next week. Non of my friends have been away because they can't go abroad or book a cottage in the UK. 

I always say if you can afford it then do it. Covid or no covid. 

On 17/03/2021 at 21:25, WispMan said:

Just do it! 

How much does one have to have to be regarded as rich?

Not everyone with lots of money is willing to pay the going price for an item, they would prefer to wait until the price drops.

macafee2

We ordered a new van at the NEC show in February 2020 when the virus was just something in China reported on the news. At that time a trade in price was suggested based on the industry bible, 'Glass's Guide' but the dealer said that this was updated every 3 months and so by the time the van was built, the trade in might be a bit less and would depend on the condition of our van.

Then lockdown happened and so instead of getting the new van March/April, it wasn't built until late July and collected mid August. We expected to get a lower trade in as there would have been 2 price revisions in that time but after spending only 5 minutes in the old van, the dealer agreed to honour the price suggested 6 months earlier and said it was the cleanest van he had seen all year.

A couple of guys pushed it onto the sales area, they added £4000 to what I received and it was sold in less than a week. I don't know what the average mark up is for a dealer selling a second hand van but that would suggest that I would have been better off selling it myself as there was / is still a demand for quality vans for those looking to buy for the first time.

But I assume you were happy with the deal at that time? We can all be wise after the event and wonder if we should have done something different. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion