Thule Omnister 1200 roll out awning

Hi All, new to the site. I’m after some advise

i own a Bailey Pegasus GT70, I would like to purchase and fit a Thule omnister 1200 roll out awning to my van but I’m concerned it might be a problem because of the awning light above the door. Has anyone fitted one of these roll out awnings to a Bailey Pegasus? And does the awning light cause any Issues with the mounting

thank you in Advance 

As you know the roll-out type hang on the straight part of the awning rail. If you have a long caravan and only need a shorter canopy the canopy can be slid forwards a bit so that it doesn't rest on the awning light. Our Swift 480 is a short caravan and has a very pronounced curved front, so we had the problem that we wanted a 3M canopy and only had 3M of straight awning rail. The Swift awning light was in my opinion  going to be a problem so I lowered it. The awning light was bonded on with Sika or similar so I cut it off with a cheese wire, Cleaned up the sealant from the panel and drilled a new hole for the cable  lower down. The old hole had a disc of matching white plastic bonded in place and (unless you are really looking for it)is hardly noticeable. The cable was long enough to reach without extending it. Not a job for the feint hearted on a newish caravan. My Omnistore 1200 sits perfectly and the awning light actually illuminated the area under the canopy because it isnt obscured by the bag. In my opinion its worth the effort.

2 hours ago, Ern said:

As you know the roll-out type hang on the straight part of the awning rail. If you have a long caravan and only need a shorter canopy the canopy can be slid forwards a bit so that it doesn't rest on the awning light. Our Swift 480 is a short caravan and has a very pronounced curved front, so we had the problem that we wanted a 3M canopy and only had 3M of straight awning rail. The Swift awning light was in my opinion  going to be a problem so I lowered it. The awning light was bonded on with Sika or similar so I cut it off with a cheese wire, Cleaned up the sealant from the panel and drilled a new hole for the cable  lower down. The old hole had a disc of matching white plastic bonded in place and (unless you are really looking for it)is hardly noticeable. The cable was long enough to reach without extending it. Not a job for the feint hearted on a newish caravan. My Omnistore 1200 sits perfectly and the awning light actually illuminated the area under the canopy because it isnt obscured by the bag. In my opinion its worth the effort.

Thank you for your info, it looks from the diagram attached that the bag once attached has a spacer between the van and the bag lifting it away. It’s just whilst in the bag and travelling I have the concern. Our door is central to the van so if we wanted it to miss it the awning would have to be very short

FB80166A-4045-408F-BF8E-C5B3E2B50E11.jpeg

What I meant to say is, is the part in the diagram the full length of the bag or just at the ends, this way it would lift the bag over the light 

19 minutes ago, Gt70 said:

Thank you for your info, it looks from the diagram attached that the bag once attached has a spacer between the van and the bag lifting it away. It’s just whilst in the bag and travelling I have the concern. Our door is central to the van so if we wanted it to miss it the awning would have to be very short

19 minutes ago, Gt70 said:

Unfortunately moving the light isn’t an option. It’s a almost new van 

Would the roof mounted system work for you?

They look good, I've toyed with the idea of getting one for about 7 years now!

We have the Fiamma caravanstore zip over the awning light on our Phoenix 640. Been towing at least 3000 miles with it without any problem. Both the awning and awning light looks very close to what you have.

1 hour ago, Steve05 said:

Would the roof mounted system work for you?

They look good, I've toyed with the idea of getting one for about 7 years now!

Fitted one last year 

leaves the awning rail free it works brilliantly 

C4212B76-69C1-420C-A8F3-50D3BDCED9AC.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Alfie T said:

Fitted one last year 

leaves the awning rail free it works brilliantly 

I have one too and it is great. BUT it does weigh so you need the available payload and you need to ensure your caravan structure is strong enough to support it. They are mainly intended for motorhomes and not all caravans are suitable for fitment.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

29 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

I have one too and it is great. BUT it does weigh so you need the available payload and you need to ensure your caravan structure is strong enough to support it. They are mainly intended for motorhomes and not all caravans are suitable for fitment.

Found as it goes the length of the van and on the opp side have the fridge cooker etc its roughly center to the axle it balances out quite well it’s the 6300 light weight version with the bracket bonded to the roof no screws but  as you say you have to watch your payload 

Thanks All, this is our caravan. Want to go for the Thule 1200. Want something easy to fit and easy to erect. Just have concerns about the awning light above the door when the awning is in the bag and we’re on the road 

AA39578B-4F2A-4450-975D-793711EDF48C.png

When we we used the awning in a bag type  put a foam pad over awning light never had any problems that was on a Bailey 

On 12/03/2021 at 16:30, Gt70 said:

What I meant to say is, is the part in the diagram the full length of the bag or just at the ends, this way it would lift the bag over the light 

Unfortunately moving the light isn’t an option. It’s a almost new van 

Looking at the light on the Bailey I wouldn't want to move that. Its not as protrusive as the one on our Swift. If I were you I would go for it and fit it. Then decide on perhaps an extra packer. Our Omnistor1200  is 3.0M and only had 2 support pads, but I added another in the centre because I wanted the optional centre rafter (the rafters push against the support pads). The pads are at each end or possibly another in the middle and they push the bag away from the side panel about 1" . We had the best deal from Rose Awnings for the canopy and the optional centre rafter and canopy clamps (anti flap). Don't leave it until the last minute because Thule don't always have all variants avaialable in the UK.

Edited by Ern

I also have one of these, like Ern I fitted the middle support pad and use the centre rafter. My caravan is a Sterling and I did look at the light with a view to moving it but decided against it .

What I do is to pack out the three conopy support pads with Kampa awning pads when travelling, never lost one in hundreds of miles!

When on site and erecting the canopy they drop out and are safely stored, the awning bag then rests on the light but it dosen't hinder the output.

IMG_0670.jpg.b2d5f396e0f6f394890b162eadbf6e77.jpg

5 hours ago, Harrib0 said:

I also have one of these, like Ern I fitted the middle support pad and use the centre rafter. My caravan is a Sterling and I did look at the light with a view to moving it but decided against it .

What I do is to pack out the three conopy support pads with Kampa awning pads when travelling, never lost one in hundreds of miles!

When on site and erecting the canopy they drop out and are safely stored, the awning bag then rests on the light but it dosen't hinder the output.

IMG_0670.jpg.b2d5f396e0f6f394890b162eadbf6e77.jpg

Thank for your info, so the padded spacers are fitted to the bag “ one at each end and one in the middle” and you put the 3 kampa awning pads under these canopy support pads to space it away? Do the pads need sticking in position or are they just held there by the weight of the awning?

5 minutes ago, Gt70 said:

Thank for your info, so the padded spacers are fitted to the bag “ one at each end and one in the middle” and you put the 3 kampa awning pads under these canopy support pads to space it away? Do the pads need sticking in position or are they just held there by the weight of the awning?

Sorry, to add. How long is your canopy?

Just the weight of the canopy seems to hold them in place, not lost one yet over many miles

(even if you do they are supplied in a pack of eight)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, thank you all for your help. We finally took a gamble and purchased our Thule omnister 1200 sun canopy and for any one who wants to know if it fits. Yes it does and doesn’t hint the light on our Pegasus, in fact it’s a perfect fit. We purchased from rose awnings and recommended by Ern “thank you” great service, great price 👍

A9EF09F5-0010-45FE-9408-BE0649992886.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Gt70 said:

Hi everyone, thank you all for your help. We finally took a gamble and purchased our Thule omnister 1200 sun canopy and for any one who wants to know if it fits. Yes it does and doesn’t hint the light on our Pegasus, in fact it’s a perfect fit. We purchased from rose awnings and recommended by Ern “thank you” great service, great price 👍

A9EF09F5-0010-45FE-9408-BE0649992886.jpeg

That looks great. Good decision. All we need to do now is USE THEM!

8 hours ago, Ern said:

That looks great. Good decision. All we need to do now is USE THEM!

We’ve already managed to get out for a couple of short weekend breaks, hopefully the weather will improve so 🤞

They are great, I don't think you will regret buying it!

I'm sure you have, but just incase you haven't .... don't forget to fit some of the "awning stops" to stop it moving when travelling.

THESE sort of things

33 minutes ago, Harrib0 said:

I'm sure you have, but just incase you haven't .... don't forget to fit some of the "awning stops" to stop it moving when travelling.

THESE sort of things

Ours came with the awning stops. Little black plastic things into which a stainless screw is inserted - fiddly. We bought the roof canvas clamps which stop the canvas flapping when it's blustery. They work well. Also, we bought the centre rafter which stabilizes the roof canvas.

• Gordon changed the title to Thule Omnister 1200 roll out awning
On 14/05/2021 at 17:48, Harrib0 said:

THESE sort of things

Already fitted 👍

On 14/05/2021 at 18:28, Ern said:

Ours came with the awning stops. Little black plastic things into which a stainless screw is inserted - fiddly. We bought the roof canvas clamps which stop the canvas flapping when it's blustery. They work well. Also, we bought the centre rafter which stabilizes the roof canvas.

I got some different stops to the ones supplied. I purchased the additional roof support then found out it came with one. Think I’ll invest in the clamps, we used it a couple of weeks ago and it did flap a bit when the breeze got up 

• 3 weeks later...

We had the same issue on our 2018 swift where it rested on the awning light, we had some high density foam packaging hanging around which we bonded using contact adhesive to the rubber pads on the awning bag. This held the awning bag approximately 20mm off the van so it did not rest on the lamp fitting.