Best stress free route to Buxton from the North

Message added by CT Advertising,

Camptoo logoDo you want to go on an adventurous trip but still have the necessary luxury? You can! Treat yourself to a super holiday and enjoy the comforts by renting a luxurious campervan or motorhome.

Would appreciate some advice regarding the best route to Buxton from the North. Towing a caravan ( Swift Conqueror 580), travelling down M6 from Moffat and looking for a route that is straightforward and stress free. Travelling on a Sunday but don't have a great deal of towing experience. Many thanks.  

Have you tried Google and putting in  Moffat to Buxton or looking at a Road Atlas?

what we find "stress fee" may not be right for you

Google shows ( my screen is small and hard to read but I think ) A74M, M6, M61, M60,  you are now all motorway from Moffat to about Stockport then few A roads.

how about m60  m56 A555 A6?

or even m6, m56 A555 A6?

or

m6  A556, A537 is this the cat and fiddle route? may be not for the faint hearted

macafee2

Edited by macafee2

I would do M6, M61, M60 to Stockport, then the A6 past Whaley Bridge and Chapel en le Frith.

you’ll drive through Stockport which isn’t great, but possibly better than going over the cat and fiddle with a van.

We came down from the Lakes area last year and I did similar  research, as we’d never approached from the North previously (we live in South Wales). In the end we took the M60 all the way to Jct 1, turned off on the A34, joined the A555 (Airport Eastern Link Road) all the way out to join the A6, which we followed all the way through Chapel-en-Le-Frith down into Buxton. Hope this helps.

Glen.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

Hi Doug,  Buxton is on our doorstep - lovely part of the world and lucky to live in it. If it was us coming home from the north we'd do:

M6

A537 Knutsford, Monks Heath to Macclesfield

Carry on over Cat n Fiddle right into Buxton then on to where ever you are staying.

Wouldn't go any other way.  Buxton - Stockport road always busy, but a sunday would be quieter.

Or, if you didn't fancy going over the Cat, head for leek on A523 and then A53 to Buxton, not a lot further time wise.

Go the scenic route rather than the built up route.

I've towed over the C&F several times no problem, but I'm coming from the west and it's always been the obvious route.  Coming from the north I'd be inclined to take the M56 to Manchester airport then the A555 (if it isn't flooded, but that's another tale) to join the A6 north of Stockport.  In fact I may try that route myself next time I head to Derbyshire, I've done it the opposite way coming from Chesterfield with no problem.   I wouldn't advise going via Wilmslow and Poynton to Macclesfield as it's slow. 

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

22 hours ago, macafee2 said:

Have you tried Google and putting in  Moffat to Buxton or looking at a Road Atlas?

what we find "stress fee" may not be right for you

Google shows ( my screen is small and hard to read but I think ) A74M, M6, M61, M60,  you are now all motorway from Moffat to about Stockport then few A roads.

how about m60  m56 A555 A6?

or even m6, m56 A555 A6?

or

m6  A556, A537 is this the cat and fiddle route? may be not for the faint hearted

macafee2

Thats great, much appreciated. I am using Google so will explore your options.  There are several other replies which are all a great help. Many thanks 

10 hours ago, junglejim said:

Hi Doug,  Buxton is on our doorstep - lovely part of the world and lucky to live in it. If it was us coming home from the north we'd do:

M6

A537 Knutsford, Monks Heath to Macclesfield

Carry on over Cat n Fiddle right into Buxton then on to where ever you are staying.

Wouldn't go any other way.  Buxton - Stockport road always busy, but a sunday would be quieter.

Or, if you didn't fancy going over the Cat, head for leek on A523 and then A53 to Buxton, not a lot further time wise.

Go the scenic route rather than the built up route.

Thanks Jim, the CatnFiddle sounds quite scary but I'll look at both. Looking forward to it and many thanks for your help.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Much appreciated and will give me plenty to explore on google maps...! 

From the north just come off the M60 at Stockport and follow the signs for the town centre which will get you on to the A6 then it's just a straight drive to Buxton. 

There's a section of road that's just recently (last 3 years?) opened.  I've not been on this road, but it starts from M56 (Hale) and it will take you around Stockport to Hazel Grove and will deposit you at the A6, and then you go straight to Buxton from there

Cat and Fiddle a decent road if you take your time and it will be summer, if it was winter I wouldn't have suggested it.

We have towed there from Glasgow and I agree with the A537 route. We used this to get there and it is slow, but we had no problems and it is reasonably scenic. We retuned on the A6, but found that was through miles of built up areas, it was  slow and very hard work.