Hi I want to get a roll of led lights for my caravan that has on off switch for it.

How ever would like to know is ok to stick them to the celling?

lights-led.jpg

2 hours ago, wolfgang1983 said:

How ever would like to know is ok to stick them to the celling?

Depends on the type of LED you get.  When they run hot, the sticky back adhesive tends to melt and the strips will lose their grip on the ceiling surface.   LED strip lights are nominally designed to run on 12 volts.   In your caravan, when you're plugged into mains, your battery will be pushing out 13.6 volts.   So the higher the voltage - hotter they'll tend to run.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I have them in my Sheds roof stuck to the roof and they work fine and not hot. 

BUT I use 12V and not a battery which, as Jaydug says, may deliver higher voltage and hence heat. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

9 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Depends on the type of LED you get.  When they run hot, the sticky back adhesive tends to melt and the strips will lose their grip on the ceiling surface.   LED strip lights are nominally designed to run on 12 volts.   In your caravan, when you're plugged into mains, your battery will be pushing out 13.6 volts.   So the higher the voltage - hotter they'll tend to run.

It's not the battery pushing out 13+V it's the charger.

Most LED strips or units are sold either as 12V or are described as having a range, typically 12-30V.

Straight 12V LEDS are likely to overheat and have a short life if run at 13+V.

Also be aware that the cheapest carry the highest risk of being cheap and nasty!

15 hours ago, Stevan said:

It's not the battery pushing out 13+V it's the charger.

You are being pedantic!   So - I've switched on my LED strip.   I've disconnected the mains.   My voltmeter is still showing 13 volts and the lights still work.   Why is that? :)

43 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

You are being pedantic!   So - I've switched on my LED strip.   I've disconnected the mains.   My voltmeter is still showing 13 volts and the lights still work.   Why is that? :)

A freshly charged battery will often show up to 13V for a short period (up to a few hours if open circuit), it's often referred to as a "surface charge" and is why you should wait after disconnecting the charger before checking the battery voltage to determine the state of charge.

51 minutes ago, Stevan said:

A freshly charged battery will often show up to 13V for a short period

Probably most members are aware of that - meanwhile the battery will continue to send the13volts to the 12volt lights

Edited by Jaydug