What heaters do you have?

Wondering what heating systems you have in your static caravans and if you’d recommend them as a main source of heating? 

Edited by Silverfish

The majority of static vans that I work on have a very similar central heating system to a normal house.

Most use the Morco range of combi boiler which supplies the hot domestic water and runs the radiators of the central heating and run using LPG.

One main difference is that the central heating fluid is treated with anti freeze as well as the normal rust inhibitor.

Many also have a Widney gas fire in the lounge for times when you dont want or need full central heating but want some heating.

Edited by Brecon

10 hours ago, Silverfish said:

Wondering what heating systems you have in your static caravans and if you’d recommend them as a main source of heating? 

Can you elaborate on what you are asking and why so we can give proper guidance? As Brecon says statics usually have gas boilers (typically LPG) which can be Combi or stored hot water much like many homes. 

With lots of options for heating and countless considerations for what system to opt for (including budget!) we do need more details I recon behind your question.

Cheers, Martin

We have gas central heating in our static, and also an electric wall mounted fire in the living room area.

We tend to use the central heating for a blast through once we’re up in the morning, and another blast in the evening, maybe for half an hour each time.

The electric fire is very efficient and really heats up the living room area very quickly. We also have a dyson heater/fan but rarely need to use it.

Our neighbours on site bought and renovated the fairly old static there, and fitted under floor heating which they swear by.

4 hours ago, MartinJB said:

Can you elaborate on what you are asking and why so we can give proper guidance? As Brecon says statics usually have gas boilers (typically LPG) which can be Combi or stored hot water much like many homes. 

With lots of options for heating and countless considerations for what system to opt for (including budget!) we do need more details I recon behind your question.

I’m more interested in what people have themselves rather than asking for direct advice. I don’t have an exact budget, my static is 10 x 34ft and it’s a slow project so I’m really asking to see what personal stories and experiences 

people have. For example, some people have said they regret a wood stove, some swear by paraffin heaters while others say they chuck out too much moisture, so it’s always interesting to hear what people have to say through their own direct experience.

18 minutes ago, Silverfish said:

I’m more interested in what people have themselves rather than asking for direct advice. I don’t have an exact budget, my static is 10 x 34ft and it’s a slow project so I’m really asking to see what personal stories and experiences 

people have. For example, some people have said they regret a wood stove, some swear by paraffin heaters while others say they chuck out too much moisture, so it’s always interesting to hear what people have to say through their own direct experience.

That makes sense thanks. A lot still depends on what services you can access (mains gas, LPG), some statics only get a mere 16A supply for instance whereas others can have a residential standard 60A, that’s would dictate if electric heat (including air source) is even an option. 

From my experience a lot depends on insulation, spend what you can insulating to a high standard (including the floor!) then whatever heating you go for will be much more efficient of the van is insulated well. In our case (park home some years back) we had to use LPG and opted for a Valiant Combi which performs outstandingly. As Vaguely said we also have a small fire in the lounge (2KW) to boost when needed but rarely need it thanks to excellent thermal insulation. 

Older statics tend not to be insulated well at all and many were designed with summer holidays in mind  - residential standards tend to come more on Park homes or ‘lodges’ or was a cost option at point of purchase in some models. 

Don’t rule out solar for almost free hot water too, used systems can now sometimes be found but do the math as the pay back can often be a long time without the incentives, which is fine if it’s a long term investment in your static and you plan to keep it accordingly. 

Cheers, Martin

6 hours ago, MartinJB said:

That makes sense thanks. A lot still depends on what services you can access (mains gas, LPG), some statics only get a mere 16A supply for instance whereas others can have a residential standard 60A, that’s would dictate if electric heat (including air source) is even an option. 

From my experience a lot depends on insulation, spend what you can insulating to a high standard (including the floor!) then whatever heating you go for will be much more efficient of the van is insulated well. In our case (park home some years back) we had to use LPG and opted for a Valiant Combi which performs outstandingly. As Vaguely said we also have a small fire in the lounge (2KW) to boost when needed but rarely need it thanks to excellent thermal insulation. 

Older statics tend not to be insulated well at all and many were designed with summer holidays in mind  - residential standards tend to come more on Park homes or ‘lodges’ or was a cost option at point of purchase in some models. 

Don’t rule out solar for almost free hot water too, used systems can now sometimes be found but do the math as the pay back can often be a long time without the incentives, which is fine if it’s a long term investment in your static and you plan to keep it accordingly. 

thanks for the detail! 

It is an old one but I’m planning on insulating the floor and walls and then putting cladding on and hopefully adding double glazing if I can find some decent second hand. It’ll all be done over the year as I’m building my business back up after covid. Thankfully things are looking up after a pretty bleak year financially. 

There will be access to residential mains so that’s good. I looked into solar but it seemed pretty expensive for what you get but maybe it’s worth doing some more research.

thanks again! The static will be delivered tomorrow so I’ll keep the forum posted on the work done on it and how it is to live in.