Having spent 5 minutes reading this month’s copy of “Camping & Caravanning” magazine, I thought I’d spend another few minutes completing the puzzle page (Yes, laid up at home and very bored ☹️).

I thought I’d worked out the sequence for “Boxed Off” (I won’t give it away at the moment), but I couldn’t get it to work on the last pairing.  Being the Club magazine, there’s a good chance it’s a printing error.

1F406E40-D525-4276-8EB4-3D139391B9A8.thumb.jpeg.5ee81a02d9ddb521a0724f06849bcb82.jpeg

Are there any mathematical geniuses out there that can solve it?

Funny I've got a solution that works for all but the 12-3 pairing !

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Now got it ! :D Or I thought I had but it doesn't actually work for the unsolved pair which I guess is what Jim was saying

Edited by KnausCol

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

I reckon 39 should actually have been 36. If that is the case then I have a solution.

Some people are just all show. I don't mind that if the show is worth watching, but . ..

The Chinster

My solution would also work if the 39 should have been 19.

Some people are just all show. I don't mind that if the show is worth watching, but . ..

The Chinster

Hi, OP here. I think Chinster is probably on the same track as myself.

My theory is that you reverse the number in the left-hand box, then divide by 7 … … 41 > 14  ÷ 7  = 2.

However, this fails to work on the last one … … unless the answer is 13.2857142857142857142857142857142857142 … … but I don’t think that would fit in the box 🙂.

So, I think 39 is a mis-print - it should perhaps be 19, giving an answer of 13, or 89 (giving 14) or 36 (giving 9).

That was exactly the solution I had too. I agree I think the 39 is a misprint or error. Any number divisible by 7 would be ok - perhaps 49 giving a answer of 7 would be most likely given the proximity of 3 and 4 to account for a typing error?

21 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

That was exactly the solution I had too. I agree I think the 39 is a misprint or error. Any number divisible by 7 would be ok - perhaps 49 giving a answer of 7 would be most likely given the proximity of 3 and 4 to account for a typing error?

… but 49 reversed gives 94 - which is not exactly divisible by 7 !

6 minutes ago, -Jim- said:

… but 49 reversed gives 94 - which is not exactly divisible by 7 !

Brain fade - was concentrating on how the mistake might have been made and forgot the reverse !!!!

No wonder I couldn't solve it........I finally gave up in disgust..........yet again LOL.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

I looked all the way through my copy and could not find the puzzle then realised it was CMC mag I was reading.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

It doesn't say the number has to fit in the box, or indeed be a whole number.

hawkaye :beardy:

1 hour ago, hawkaye said:

It doesn't say the number has to fit in the box, or indeed be a whole number.

It does say it’s a ‘figure’ though Hawkeye, which suggests the bottom left box should be 36, giving a ‘figure’ of 9 in the bottom right.