Message added by CT Advertising,

Compare caravan insurance quotes and buy online for touring & static caravans

compareinsurance.pngCompare Caravan Insurance provides quality touring insurance, static insurance, park home insurance and leisure home insurance at competitive prices

www.compare-caravan-insurance.co.uk

Well, it is that time again.

So advice welcome from those who have re-insured their vans this year please.

(The press recently reported car insurance premiums are down and mine has duly fallen. £230 fully comprehensive for a Discovery 4 seems cheap enough to me (RAC).)

So imagine my disappointment when our van policy renewal from Lifesure came through today at +30% on last year, up to £380  for £36k cover on our 2017 Buccaneer Commodore, New for Old. (We have all the security trinkets and it is in a CASSOA fortress.)

I called them and was told yes, due to Covid there was limited use with consequentially fewer towing accidental damage claims....BUT a big leap in total loss claims through thefts and fire. I could not argue.

Tried Towergate and got £504 and Caravanguard who came in at £390.

So it looks like it's bite the bullet and stay with Lifesure as I know they are good and their cover is what I want.

Looks like what I saved on the car renewal will pay for the van one.

Anyone else got similar stories from this year's round?

Thanks

GB.

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

I’m with caravan-guard, premium gone down £12 from last year. 2019 Bailey Phoenix new for old. Stored at home ATC and AL-KO wheel lock discount

(This year’s premium  is £223m, Caravan valued at £21k paid last week) 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Towergate increased the amount payable by £72 (18.25%),  increased the compulsory excess by £25 (33%) and introduced the requirement for a tracker as a condition for full theft cover.

I went on-line and the Towergate quote was £80 less than the renewal offer for similar cover.  Annoying to say the least and gives no recognition to customer loyalty. 

Caravanguard for similar cover were within £5 of last years premium payable so I changed to them.

I also realise that it's not unknown for insurers to effectively price themselves out of the market temporarily if they've had a particularly bad claims year.  

Having said that I am happy to stay with the same insurer if premium increases are reasonable and explanations are plausible.

Regardless,   I always shop around and I recommend it. 

Thanks both. 

CJ's experience has a familiar ring to it as I often go "back in" as if I was a new customer and then confront them with the result. This has resulted in the lower amount being honoured with car insurance in the past.

Often (as with Lifesure) they are brokers though who claim not to be able to influence the insurers.

I'll probably go through the nausea of Compare the Confused Supermarket tomorrow and see what bubbles up.

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I’m with caravan-guard, premium gone down £12 from last year. 2019 Bailey Phoenix new for old. Stored at home ATC and AL-KO wheel lock discount

(This year’s premium  is £223m, Caravan valued at £21k paid last week) 

Am I reading correctly.  £223m?

I was with Eversure.  My previous caravan had been stolen, and after two premiums of being through the roof (both years were £700 each).  Anyway, when I phoned Eversure.  I explained everything about what had happened, they insured me for £230.00.  I snatched their hands off

Edited by Babstreefern
17 hours ago, GB1309 said:

So imagine my disappointment when our van policy renewal from Lifesure came through today at +30% on last year, up to £380  for £36k cover on our 2017 Buccaneer Commodore, New for Old. (We have all the security trinkets and it is in a CASSOA fortress.)

£36k cover seems a lot for a caravan, is that how much it would cost to buy a new Commodore plus the few extra things ? edit just did a search and £36k is right so no need to reply 

We have ours insured through the C&CC and they seem reasonable but ours has never been worth that much. We have a static insured with them as well and the latest premium is the same as last year.

Edited by Paul1957
19 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

£36k cover seems a lot for a caravan, is that how much it would cost to buy a new Commodore plus the few extra things ? edit just did a search and £36k is right so no need to reply 

Crikey, double what I paid for my caravan In 2019 :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, GB1309 said:

(The press recently reported car insurance premiums are down and mine has duly fallen. £230 fully comprehensive for a Discovery 4 seems cheap enough to me (RAC).)

I called them and was told yes, due to Covid there was limited use with consequentially fewer towing accidental damage claims....BUT a big leap in total loss claims through thefts and fire. I could not argue.

So it looks like it's bite the bullet and stay with Lifesure as I know they are good and their cover is what I want.

Thanks

GB.

Yes went through this last year quoted £430ish from C&CC who I have always insured with in the past. Finished using myinsurance  comparison site got what looks to be the same new for old etc on £34k for £280 under writers Legal & General  no idea how good they are. Unfortunately you find that out when you make a claim.

Don’t forget to check out insurers who don’t subscribe to the comparison sites. The sites take a commission for each policy and the insurers are not going to lose their profit margin, so it comes out of the policyholders pocket.

Secondly, never EVER agree to auto renewal, that’s an open invitation for the insurer to hike the premium. They will tell you, but give you very little time to reject the renewal. 

48 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Don’t forget to check out insurers who don’t subscribe to the comparison sites. The sites take a commission for each policy and the insurers are not going to lose their profit margin, so it comes out of the policyholders pocket.

Secondly, never EVER agree to auto renewal, that’s an open invitation for the insurer to hike the premium. They will tell you, but give you very little time to reject the renewal. 

Agreed on both counts Mr P, I had started without comparison sites and got to where I had looking at companies I knew or had used. Auto-renewal is a no-no for me for all areas.

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Unfortunately it happened to me a couple of years ago with boat insurance. I didn't know until I got two renewals. I contacted the auto renewal insurance company and they said they would give half back and too request the other half from the other company.  I refused as I said I had quite happily taken it out with them. Anyhow I ended getting my money back. It's worse now because they don't post anything it's all email so just ignored it because I didn't think I'd renewed. 

Another consideration with new for old cover is sum assured. 

It's our responsibility to make sure it is sufficient especially if there have been any model changes or replacements to achieve equivalent replacement and values.  Example - the Coachman Vision range being replaced by the Arcadia.

22 hours ago, GB1309 said:

Thanks

GB.

Lifesure wanted 59% extra for my renewal in December.

Might have gone with Towergate until I noticed that they only cover van for accidental damage when attached to the car. When I enquired about accidental damage when not attached to the car, they said no problem that will be an extra. .....(can’t recall the exact amount but it was over £100 I think).

We are with C&CC and had a small rise this year. I will stick with them after excellent claims service some three years back.

I had a quick look at the Lifesure web page, the policy does not show  DEFAQTO  rating and this could mean the cover is not the best although I have not been through it in detail. DEFAQTO four and five star cover is the minimum I would accept and I am very wary of LLoyds syndicates who can be extremely hard on claims. Personally I would only look at policies with a good DEFAQTO rating.

The FEEFO rating is all about taking out the policy, whereas it is the claims service that counts which means I would ignore this. All companies will make it easy to take your money which is what all the reports I saw cover.

3 hours ago, Wildwood said:

We are with C&CC and had a small rise this year. I will stick with them after excellent claims service some three years back.

I had a quick look at the Lifesure web page, the policy does not show  DEFAQTO  rating and this could mean the cover is not the best although I have not been through it in detail. DEFAQTO four and five star cover is the minimum I would accept and I am very wary of LLoyds syndicates who can be extremely hard on claims. Personally I would only look at policies with a good DEFAQTO rating.

The FEEFO rating is all about taking out the policy, whereas it is the claims service that counts which means I would ignore this. All companies will make it easy to take your money which is what all the reports I saw cover.

Thanks Wildwood. I am just about to pick up the cudgels to tackle the Comp sites, I'll look for the DEFAQTO data you advise studying.

GB.

40 minutes ago, GB1309 said:

Thanks Wildwood. I am just about to pick up the cudgels to tackle the Comp sites, I'll look for the DEFAQTO data you advise studying.

GB.

Oh well that's it, done at £390 with Caravanguard which was £4 more than the Lifesure renewal quote. Their DEFAQTO 5 star rating (they were at the top pf the list) and the breadth of cover e.g. accidental damage whether towing, sited or stored swung it for me. As I said I was not looking for the lowest quote but the best underpinned cover I could find. There by the grace etc...

Out of interest I quizzed him on C'Guard's premium rise this year which he said was minimal and that they had not seen an upsurge in total loss claims through theft or fire with the touring caravans they insure. (He did mention that motorhome claims had risen somewhat.)

Thanks to all who have contributed to my thought process and I hope this feedback may have been of reciprocal benefit.

GB.

On 03/03/2021 at 14:47, Mr Plodd said:

AIUI Insurers  give 21-28 days notice of renewal whether auto-renew or not and  I cannot recall any of my renewals  car, caravan or house, not having such a notice period. It's seems unlikely that having auto-renewal would create a higher premium than one that didn't as the insurer wouldn't know if the renewal would be accepted.

Edit: FCA rules on Insurance renewals here

which require "issuing the renewal notice and confirmation in good time"

Edited by beejay

Hi Guy's,

You can now ask our new Caravan Talk sponsor for a quote;  

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/forum/66-caravan-insurance/

Compare Caravan Insurance allows you to browse policies from over 20 quality insurers.

Just a thought for you, and let us know how you get on.

It's a complete minefield,,

I've had quotes from over £1,000.00 to just over £200.00 for what seems like a very similar product.

By that I mean caravan insurance, new for old with legal expenses etc.

Ripe looked by far the lowest but someone pointed out (thanks for the advice) that whilst they're underwritten by Aviva their claims handling people (Davies Group) have a poor reputation for customer service so given the age old saying you get what you pay for I'll not use them(:

Does anyone have any experience with the Camping & Caravanning  Club Insurance ?

They seem very friendly & helpful & their quote is someway lower than the Caravan Club.

We use the C&CC insurance, the cover is as good as you can get and having had a claim the service was very good. It is reasonably priced rather than the cheapest but you get what you pay for. It has a DEFAQTO five star rating and I am yet to see any criticism of its claims service. The claims service is about the only thing about the club the members do not complain about.

The insurer did not put up the premium after the claim which can happen with some.

Edited by Wildwood