Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just changed towcar from Hyundai ix35 to Hyundai Tucson.

I have towed many miles over circa 15 years  in the Hyundai ix35 (and 3 Series previously) and, when safe, always favoured cruise control.

I notice the handbook (cruise control section) for the Tucson states “do not use cruise control when towing a trailer”

Is this a general ‘health & safety’ clause?

To be honest I did not read the ix35 handbook, so it may have said the same?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cant see any reason whatsoever for that statement. I have towed many thousands of miles on cruise, that’s what it’s there for!  Certainly nothing to that effect in my handbook (Mazda) 

 

Having said that my car has adaptive cruise so keeps a safe distance and will also apply the brakes if the gap lessens. Really spooked me out the first time it did it :o

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, prando said:

Just changed towcar from Hyundai ix35 to Hyundai Tucson.

I have towed many miles over circa 15 years  in the Hyundai ix35 (and 3 Series previously) and, when safe, always favoured cruise control.

I notice the handbook (cruise control section) for the Tucson states “do not use cruise control when towing a trailer”

Is this a general ‘health & safety’ clause?

To be honest I did not read the ix35 handbook, so it may have said the same?

I have a Tucson two ltr.diesel se,  2017 model!I am unaware of that instruction but I have towed caravans thousands of miles ,on cruise,  without a problem,   Must read the instructions when I get time!

Fabulous car by the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't say with the Tucson but I use it a lot when towing if the conditions are suitable.  I have a Santa Fe and I would be astonished if the Tucson would not perform perfectly safely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only issue I have been aware of with cruise control on all the cars I've had when towing is that the (usually) gentle throttle application generated by CC can sometimes not be enough to trigger a downshift in an auto gearbox quite as soon as would otherwise be desirable if starting to go up a gentle incline, for example. 

Edited by Ukzero
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ukzero said:

The only issue I have been aware of with cruise control on all the cars I've had when towing is that the (usually) gentle throttle application generated by CC can sometimes not be enough to trigger a downshift in an auto gearbox quite as soon as would otherwise be desirable if starting to go up a gentle incline, for example. 

 

Thats what the steering wheel “flappy paddles” are for ;) and so useful for dropping down a gear (or two) on descents, I use mine all the time and wouldn’t consider an auto without them. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll have to ask Hyundai Technical or Customer Service that question, probably, as they must have a reason for stating that that we'd likely be guessing more than knowing.

 

Is it a basic CC? 

Adaptive?

Manual or auto box?

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've driven thousands of miles with Cruise Control in my Citroen. The handbook is silent on the matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Cant see any reason whatsoever for that statement. I have towed many thousands of miles on cruise, that’s what it’s there for!  

Agreed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

just a wild guess, perhaps they consider the trailer... caravan snaking and so do not want the car to try and maintain speed in such a situation. Easy to say the driver would disengage the CC but what if they are spooked and do not react as they should?

 

macafee2

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be that the handbook is generic? In some countries in Europe - Belgium for one - it is illegal to use cruise control on the motorways and I have a suspicion it applies to towing anywhere as well?

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Hyundai covering themselves, I`ve never seen a reference to it in Volvo, Merc or VW Handbooks and use cruise control all time, I think I must be an odd one out actually reading handbooks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As advised contact technical services for advise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

As advised contact technical services for advise.

Sound advice there!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Squash said:

Can't say with the Tucson but I use it a lot when towing if the conditions are suitable.  I have a Santa Fe and I would be astonished if the Tucson would not perform perfectly safely. 

 

Ditto!

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I'm towing the only time I pause the cruise control is in busy traffic and on the approach to a hill.    Keeping it on too long at a gradient isn't good for the fuel economy. 

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Could it be that the handbook is generic? In some countries in Europe - Belgium for one - it is illegal to use cruise control on the motorways and I have a suspicion it applies to towing anywhere as well?

 

Not quite as clear cut as “it’s illegal to use”  CC on a motorway.  

 

It is but only in very specific circumstances See here  (scroll to the very bottom of page 3) 

 

 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have the adaptive cruise control and am very pleased at how well it copes with a van on the back. I have it on all the time when on the motorway but even though it brakes according to the distance to the vehicle in front, I still cover the brake just in case. I don't trust technology implicitly and nor should we. I've also heard from numerous sources (blokes down the pub) that cruise control is kinder on the mpg. Not sure if it's true but can say it doesn't seem any worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tunnelvision said:

I also have the adaptive cruise control and am very pleased at how well it copes with a van on the back. I have it on all the time when on the motorway but even though it brakes according to the distance to the vehicle in front, I still cover the brake just in case. I don't trust technology implicitly and nor should we. I've also heard from numerous sources (blokes down the pub) that cruise control is kinder on the mpg. Not sure if it's true but can say it doesn't seem any worse.

 

I've always found that using CC lowers my MPG, probably as it can't anticipate the road ahead like I can !

 

Mine is adaptive, and I'll happily use it with the caravan on the back.  I find it just as useful on A roads, I travelled 30 odd miles coming out of Norwich a couple of years ago and didn't need to touch any of the pedals!

Lunar Solaris 524

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, littlebasher said:

I've always found that using CC lowers my MPG, probably as it can't anticipate the road ahead like I can !

 

It's generally accepted that cruise control lowers MPG slightly, more so in hilly terrain.

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used CC on my Ford Kuga.  It was the first time of me towing last year.  I did both motorway and main road driving.  It performed with no problem at all.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

 

Not quite as clear cut as “it’s illegal to use”  CC on a motorway.  

 

It is but only in very specific circumstances See here  (scroll to the very bottom of page 3) 

 

 

There's a big sign on the E42/A16 motorway in Belgium which forbids the use of Cruise Control.  Presumably because it's busy, but the restriction is clear there.

John m

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I will speak to the dealer.

The handbook contains a large section on cruise control as there are a number of ‘extra, if fitted’ linked features.
Herewith the particular page

PS It is an Automatic trans 

 

DA0A8D8C-824B-42BA-B937-152CC21281BD.thumb.jpeg.b7391968e03add14a5441fa9e9104406.jpeg

Edited by prando
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, millerhouse12 said:

There's a big sign on the E42/A16 motorway in Belgium which forbids the use of Cruise Control.  Presumably because it's busy, but the restriction is clear there.

John m

A number of studies were undertaken in Belgium and the Netherlands into the the use of CC and ACC after an incident on a busy stretch of motorway ( I think in the Antwerp tunnel) .

These studies showed CC and ACC as having a significant influence on increasing Brake reaction times, and also the driver applied brake force.  In other words the driver reassigns the driving sub tasks and effectively takes his eve off the ball.  Additional studies also showed this to be compounded by towing using inertia braking, but not significantly for continuous braking systems.

The reports also concluded that improving use of automated systems on vehicles would need to account for this and be considered in vehicle development and that legislation would need to keep pace with this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Towtug said:

These studies showed CC and ACC as having a significant influence on increasing Brake reaction times

 

I wold certainly agree with that, as operating the brake from the accelerator is a programmed response, it's a bit like muscle memory, however operating the brake when the foot is at rest away from the accelerator pedal takes considerably longer. 

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...