Best Portable Aircon Unit

Hi there everybody,

Just bought our first tourer and plan to take it over to south of France a lot. We've been going there for seven years and staying at Euro camps in statics. We know how hot it can get on a night and without aircon we know it can be unbearable. 

So my question is, what's the best portable aircon unit I can get for a 7.5 meter 6 berth tourer. They will be two adults and three children, oh and maybe our Labrador sometimes. I've seen some decent units for approx £300 which is fine, but wondering if the size is a bit big at 35 x 35 x 70 cm. I only think it will only  be used on an evening but don't want to take any chances as baking alive will put a dampener on our holidays.

• 3 months later...

Did you get anywhere with a portable A/C? We are looking at options for a France / Spain trip this summer. 
I assume it is an absolute must in Europe in the summer?

cheers 

They haven't been back on the forum for three months. 

What area of Spain do you intend to visit? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

On 11/06/2021 at 16:26, ElddisRanger said:

Did you get anywhere with a portable A/C? We are looking at options for a France / Spain trip this summer. 
I assume it is an absolute must in Europe in the summer?

cheers 

We have been reasonably far South in France in June and July and never felt the need for air conditioning, having the windows and skylights open augmented with a Dyson fan was perfectly adequate.

We have noticed though that folk with a/c tend to spend all their time shut up in their vans.......

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo

Fair point , thanks. We are not looking at spending much time indoors, just trying to get a comfortable sleep. We have lived in Asia for 10 years so understand hot nights, and also value of a good sleep. Currently looking at a mobile unit to bring the temp down a bit.

On 11/06/2021 at 16:31, WispMan said:

They haven't been back on the forum for three months. 

What area of Spain do you intend to visit? 

We plan to go pretty far south, will be in the Andalucia / Malaga area and then head North following the coast.

Is This  the sort of thing you are looking for?  They are Specifically designed for caravans etc so fairly compact (but expensive at over &700) or there’s These various mains items  that will do the job for less money (£250 upwards) are the same sort of weight but will take up more room.

There are loads of options, just type air conditioner into Google 

Just be aware there are a number of items for sale that are not air conditioners  that rely on water evaporation rather than the more accepted (and much better) compressor driven items. 

Whatever you decide on just remember to factor in its weight !  (About 18-19kg seems average) 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

9 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Is This  the sort of thing you are looking for?  They are Specifically designed for caravans etc so fairly compact (but expensive at over &700) or there’s These various mains items  that will do the job for less money (£250 upwards) are the same sort of weight but will take up more room.

Just be aware there are a number of items for sale that are not air conditioners  that rely on water evaporation rather than the more accepted (and much better) compressor driven items. 

Whatever you decide on just remember to factor in its weight !  (About 18-19kg seems average) 

The caravan one looks good, as long as it's not too noisy, I had air con in our last motorhome and it was very noisy so didn't get much use

Thanks yes the Cool My Camper is one which I have looked at, also this one from Pro Breeze looks interesting... 

7000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner | Next Day Delivery | Pro Breeze  

Although not sure if you could call it a "proper" AC unit as it does not have an external component, but it is not too heavy and has a smaller foot print than the others I have looked at, and at £369 is reasonable. 

It is a proper air con unit because it requires a vent to the outside to vent the heat it produces.

I wonder if the window kit could be adapted to vent through the caravan floor from one of the under bench lockers as that would negate the need to have a window open an make things a bit heater, just a thought! 

50 minutes ago, ElddisRanger said:

this one from Pro Breeze looks interesting... 

7000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner | Next Day Delivery | Pro Breeze  

As mentioned above these 'portable' units are VERY noisy, bulky and heavy, I recall a "silent" model from a well known brand - it was also rather noisy.

Cheers, Martin

On 13/06/2021 at 07:54, Tuningdrew said:

We have been reasonably far South in France in June and July and never felt the need for air conditioning, having the windows and skylights open augmented with a Dyson fan was perfectly adequate.

We have noticed though that folk with a/c tend to spend all their time shut up in their vans.......

:goodpost:

48 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

It is a proper air con unit because it requires a vent to the outside to vent the heat it produces.

I wonder if the window kit could be adapted to vent through the caravan floor from one of the under bench lockers as that would negate the need to have a window open an make things a bit heater, just a thought! 

Yes I did read a thread somewhere that same idea had been discussed. I guess it will be a case of seeing how much of an inconvenience it is to vent it though the window. 

There are a couple of pictures of the supplied window vents on the Pro-breeze website. They look pretty neat but the one for opening windows looks to be designed for a window that opens inwards not outwards, and there is  the vent tube to consider, hence my thoughts about venting through the floor under one of the benches. 

The Cool my Camper unit, being split into two items (the total weight is still 19kg) is probably a bit easier to locate as half the bulk is outside, but at a price that’s nearly double the Pro-breeze one (can’t find a weight for that one though) The pro-breeze is certainly a bit smaller  than many similar items but by no means can it be called small so will take up a fair bit of internal space in a caravan.

Years ago now I had a MH with a roof mounted mains unit. That certainly wasn’t silent by any stretch of the imagination, but it did keep the inside comfortably cool. 

18 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

As we were away this last weekend, and the forecast was hot! I ordered an evaporator and plastic ice cubes, all for under £40. Look Here. It does work, we used to have a house one many moons ago, fill the tank up with iced water, better than just a fan.

We put a small bottle of water into the ice unit in the caravan fridge along with the plastic ice cubes, put some of the frozen ice cubes and chilled water into the holding tank, lasted about 3hrs, chilled the air enough for us to get to sleep?

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/06/2021 at 08:09, Ex-Gasman said:

The caravan one looks good, as long as it's not too noisy, I had air con in our last motorhome and it was very noisy so didn't get much use

which one is the "caravan one" ??? thanx

Posted (edited)

One aspect to be conscious of if on a busy site is noise impact on neighbours.

If the Coolmycamper works like other split units, which I can see no reason to doubt, the external unit will have both the fan and compressor in it. Couple that with it being on the side of the van/motorhome and the potential nuisance value could be an issue - for others if not the nicely chilled user. The plus side is that it should be quieter in the van with just a fan making any real noise.

Some people already complain about built in roof A/C units which probably "export" less noise than the Coolmycamper would.

Even the ducted under seat A/C system I installed produces some fan noise which can be heard outside - but nobody has noticed/commented/complained so far - although one passing gentleman en-route to the service point did declare "You must be boiling in there without all your roof lights open".

Edited by Ukzero

14 hours ago, Ukzero said:

One aspect to be conscious of if on a busy site is noise impact on neighbours.

If the Coolmycamper works like other split units, which I can see no reason to doubt, the external unit will have both the fan and compressor in it. Couple that with it being on the side of the van/motorhome and the potential nuisance value could be an issue - for others if not the nicely chilled user. The plus side is that it should be quieter in the van with just a fan making any real noise.

Some people already complain about built in roof A/C units which probably "export" less noise than the Coolmycamper would.

Even the ducted under seat A/C system I installed produces some fan noise which can be heard outside - but nobody has noticed/commented/complained so far - although one passing gentleman en-route to the service point did declare "You must be boiling in there without all your roof lights open".

Thank You for replies....i have chosen the Truma Aventa Comfort,will fit into  the 400 x 400 roof vent in kitchen....

17 minutes ago, Gubby said:

Thank You for replies....i have chosen the Truma Aventa Comfort,will fit into  the 400 x 400 roof vent in kitchen....

Had the same unit fitted in June, excellent piece of kit although costly.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

13 minutes ago, Griff said:

Had the same unit fitted in June, excellent piece of kit although costly.

Yupo,but what price for Happiness??.... it was a nightmare with the heat earlier this year... :)

I have said it before, but it's not just the cooling effect that's of benefit. The dehumidification which is a side effect of the condenser radiator side has an equal impact on improving comfort - especially here in the UK where our warm days (and nights) are humid by default.  

We had someone come over and tell us we had a leak with water trickling out from under the van. It was just the condensate drain running and demonstrating just how much moisture A/C can take out of the air. 

One concern must be the weight and its use of precious payload. The payload allowances are so low these days.

Posted (edited)

I have one of the freestanding heavy  air conditioners not used in the caravan.

they have to be vented out of a semi open window with a large flexible hose.

sure they produce cold air. But very noisy when the air starts blowing.

also does not bring  down the temperature very quickly unless your sitting or standing right in front of it.

this one will take an hour to reduce the temperature in a  18 foot. X. 10 building  1 or 2 degrees.

All other doors and windows have to be shut.

Edited by Sonar

18 minutes ago, Fenester said:

One concern must be the weight and its use of precious payload. The payload allowances are so low these days.

Yes Fenester, the weight of this type of kit can be crippling to the payloads of caravans, probably not quite so with a lot of motorhomes.

Ours took out 33kg with the mover taking a further 66kgs so nearly 100kg wiped out before we started on the other stuff.

We are slightly better off than some with an initial 'theoretical' 255kg payload but now back to the more or less 155kg offering available to a lot of others.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

38 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yes Fenester, the weight of this type of kit can be crippling to the payloads of caravans, probably not quite so with a lot of motorhomes.

Ours took out 33kg with the mover taking a further 66kgs so nearly 100kg wiped out before we started on the other stuff.

We are slightly better off than some with an initial 'theoretical' 255kg payload but now back to the more or less 155kg offering available to a lot of others.

Add back the venting fan which the Truma replaced?