Advice on what I should buy please.

Pauline

When things open up a bit treat yourself to a day out and pay a visit to  “The Caravan Company” situated on the main A31 road just to the west of Wimborne in Dorset. I drive past fairly regularly and, even now, they have a huge stock of varying ages, sizes and prices. I purchased my first caravan from them (the chap I dealt with was Steve) a few years ago. I was very pleased with the deal I got and very impressed with their customer service attitude and helpfulness. No attempt at a hard sell.

“There’s our stock, have a look around they are all open, if you would like any help then please come and ask and I will be happy to explain anything”

The danger of convincing yourself that you need a particular (used) make and model is that the chances of finding one within a half reasonable distance from home are pretty slim. Look at as many caravans as you can, you may surprise yourself and find something else that suits you just as well. 

Good luck! 

P.s. They have a good website.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Paulines7 said:

As for the Eribas, I hate them.  It's not just that they are only a 3 berth van but they are so small, dingy and claustrophobic.  I often wonder why people buy them!  

There are some common misconceptions about the Eriba brand. It is, and has been for a number of years, the brand name for all Hymer produced caravans, leaving the Hymer brand for motorhomes only. So there's the Eriba Feeling, Eriba Nova, Eriba Nova Light as well as Eriba Touring ranges. It is the Eriba Touring range that most Brits refer to when they think about the brand name.  

The current Eriba Touring range has both 2 and 3 berth models, some with and some without washrooms. Some are capable of sleeping four, either by adding a bunk as an accessory in the nose, or by using the wider front dinette version for two, admittedly slim, people.

The famous Puck models were discontinued in 2009 and the smallest are now the Familia's at 4.83m overall, followed by the Triton's at 5.28m and the Troll's at 5.79m long.  All Troll's since 2010 are 2.2m wide, which is the same width as the Bailey 460/4. Of the current Troll models the 542 has a fixed rear double bed and the 530, 535 and 550 can be specified with a a fixed double. The remaining current Troll model, the 540,  has lounge benches that make 6ft 5ins singles or a roughly 2m square double and is known as the 'Langslaaper' or Longsleeper in Dutch. 

Going back pre 2009, when the French factory closed, there were many more layouts which no longer feature in production, but are still going strong for their owners. Touring range vans tend to last much longer than their normal construction counterparts, with most lasting double the 10 to 12 year average lifespan of a conventional caravan. Someone is currently selling a restored 1950's Eriba and many, many 1980's and 90's vans are still giving sterling service. The main reason for this substantial difference in longevity is the tubular steel framework that underpins the whole body and has been fully galvanised since 2010 when production recommenced at Hymers Bad Waldsee headquarters factory.

Maybe you've only been in an Eriba Touring when the roof is down, or it was inside a building because the residual light that comes through the canvas sides of the poptop roof make them very light indeed. There are also a number of 'trims' available, in some models, which have differing themes. Current standard models have a bobbly white exterior finish, whilst the 'GT' finish is smooth aluminium in silver.  The '60th Edition' has some white furniture, rather than the normal wood finish, plus contrasting worktops and a unique two tone exterior paint scheme. The 'Ocean Drive' has bright blue internal highlights and has the same bright blue outside on its bottom half and the 'Rockabilly' does the same with bright scarlet.  

I'm not saying that they're ideal for your circumstances but Troll's qualify sizewise and aren't as bad as you paint them. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

3 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

The current Eriba Touring range has both 2 and 3 berth models, some with and some without washrooms. Some are capable of sleeping four, either by adding a bunk as an accessory in the nose, or by using the wider front dinette version for two, admittedly slim, people.

.............. I'm not saying that they're ideal for your circumstances but Troll's qualify sizewise and aren't as bad as you paint them. 

The Eribas may be well built vans but I am looking for two double beds and a washroom!   I am not saying the Eribas are bad; it's just that I don't like them!

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Pauline

When things open up a bit treat yourself to a day out and pay a visit to  “The Caravan Company” situated on the main A31 road just to the west of Wimborne in Dorset. I drive past fairly regularly and, even now, they have a huge stock of varying ages, sizes and prices. I purchased my first caravan from them (the chap I dealt with was Steve) a few years ago. I was very pleased with the deal I got and very impressed with their customer service attitude and helpfulness. No attempt at a hard sell.

“There’s our stock, have a look around they are all open, if you would like any help then please come and ask and I will be happy to explain anything”

The danger of convincing yourself that you need a particular (used) make and model is that the chances of finding one within a half reasonable distance from home are pretty slim. Look at as many caravans as you can, you may surprise yourself and find something else that suits you just as well. 

Good luck! 

P.s. They have a good website.

Thanks for your suggestion, Mr Plodd.  I have looked at "The Caravan Company" on line but there is nothing suitable at the moment that has not already been sold!  It will make a good day out though as Dorset is such a beautiful county.

I have been looking at other makes as well as the Bailey Ranger but a lot of them also have the loo cassette door on the awning side.  The problem is that the awning blow up pole would not go to the right of the loo cassette door because it needs a straight rail above.   It cannot go to the left because of the door stop. I am beginning to wish we hadn't bought an air awning now!

I have no idea how much your awning cost but it seems a shame you have to select a caravan to suit an awning. You could end up paying more for a caravan this way than the awning cost to buy. I would choose a caravan that suits your needs and if the awning does not fit, part exchange it or sell privately and get an awning that fits the new caravan. If the caravan dealer sells awnings they might come to an agreeable arrangement.

We had an expensive awning for our first caravan, only used it once for a long holiday but found it too much bother, then when we changed the caravan it was not long enough so we gave it away to a neighbour. It did not even occur to us to try and find a caravan that the awning could fit.

Edited by Paul1957
12 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

I have no idea how much your awning cost but it seems a shame you have to select a caravan to suit an awning. You could end up paying more for a caravan this way than the awning cost to buy. I would choose a caravan that suits your needs and if the awning does not fit, part exchange it or sell privately and get an awning that fits the new caravan. If the caravan dealer sells awnings they might come to an agreeable arrangement.

We had an expensive awning for our first caravan, only used it once for a long holiday but found it too much bother, then when we changed the caravan it was not long enough so we gave it away to a neighbour. It did not even occur to us to try and find a caravan that the awning could fit.

Paul, the Vango air awning with the extension and the fittings such as lights and carpets, cost £1300.  We have only used it for 1 week.  It fits our current Lunar which is 25 years old but we want to buy something newer as our old caravan needs a lot doing to it now.  The foam between the plywood flooring has degraded badly in the kitchen and my husband has bought the stuff to repair it with but has been too ill to do it.  He has replaced the wooden frame at the front on one side of the caravan but not done the other side.   The hot air heating has packed up so needs some attention.  We have a small fan heater that we can use if it's cold.   Usually my husband does anything that needs repairing but he has got very much weaker in the past 9 months.   

I can't afford to give the new awning away or to sell it at a great loss.   We still have our Isabella awning which my husband and I used to put up together but it's quite heavy and needs two of us to erect it.  The air awning I can put up on my own and it's so much easier.

It looks like we may have to cancel or postpone the Cornish holiday we have booked in May so I am not in a rush to find the right caravan now.

Troll 550, 540, 542, 535, 530, Triton 420 and 430 and Familia 320 all have washrooms. Only Familia 310, Triton 410 and 418 don't have washrooms.

As for double beds, a 530 or 535 can have a fixed rear double bed and a front dinette that turns into a 3ft 2ins by 6ft 6ins bed, not quite a double but good for a couple of kids.

A 550 has the same rear bed option and the front dinette turns into a 6ft by 4ft bed

https://www.eriba.com/en/models/caravans/eriba-touring/layouts-and-data.html?panorama=66

https://www.eriba.com/en/models/caravans/eriba-touring/layouts-and-data.html?panorama=181

17 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Troll 550, 540, 542, 535, 530, Triton 420 and 430 and Familia 320 all have washrooms. Only Familia 310, Triton 410 and 418 don't have washrooms.

As for double beds, a 530 or 535 can have a fixed rear double bed and a front dinette that turns into a 3ft 2ins by 6ft 6ins bed, not quite a double but good for a couple of kids.

A 550 has the same rear bed option and the front dinette turns into a 6ft by 4ft bed

https://www.eriba.com/en/models/caravans/eriba-touring/layouts-and-data.html?panorama=66

https://www.eriba.com/en/models/caravans/eriba-touring/layouts-and-data.html?panorama=181

I don't know why you keep showing me links to these, Andy.   Are you a salesman for the Company?

I have no kids to put in the tiny bunks and the 6ft by 4ft bed at the front would be too short for either my husband, two sons or grandson as they are all over 6 ft tall.  I cannot see a couple fitting in the 6x4 bed either!   

Occasionally some manufacturers (not many though) made the corner combined washrooms a bit more usable by making them very slightly longer. My uncle has a late 90’s ABI 2 berth with an end kitchen/corner washroom. However when you open the door the shower was on your right in the far corner but toilet and fold down sink on the left. Not exactly spacious but better than the usual cramped bathroom.

Having said that I honestly think that your need for a shorter caravan and a permanent bed will end up having a corner/cramped washroom. With dealers starting to open up and (theoretically) the weather improving, you’ll be able to trawl the dealers, you never know, you might stumble across something that ticks every box. Good luck!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Shortage of stock is a big problem at present.

One of our local dealers, Leisure Sales, have just 19 used vans for sale. Normally they'd have around 40 or 50 available.

Spinney Staffordshire usually have 30 to 40 used vans on display, currently they have 21.

In response to this shortage used prices have risen significantly, next year it's possible many used vans will be put back on the market and prices reduce to clear excess stock.

10 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Occasionally some manufacturers (not many though) made the corner combined washrooms a bit more usable by making them very slightly longer. My uncle has a late 90’s ABI 2 berth with an end kitchen/corner washroom. However when you open the door the shower was on your right in the far corner but toilet and fold down sink on the left. Not exactly spacious but better than the usual cramped bathroom.

Having said that I honestly think that your need for a shorter caravan and a permanent bed will end up having a corner/cramped washroom. With dealers starting to open up and (theoretically) the weather improving, you’ll be able to trawl the dealers, you never know, you might stumble across something that ticks every box. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply Gary.  The ABI 2 berth with an end kitchen and corner washroom sounds a similar design to some of the Lunar Stellar models and if I decide on a two berth, that's the one I will buy.  It's similar to what we have at the moment but is wider than our Lunar Clubman so I am hoping the two seats at the front may be slightly wider for sleeping on.   The shower on the Stellar is separated by an Acrylic door, the same as in our present Lunar. 

I am not too worried about the washroom if I find a decent 4 berth.  After all, we spend much more time in our beds than having a shower!  

7 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Shortage of stock is a big problem at present.

One of our local dealers, Leisure Sales, have just 19 used vans for sale. Normally they'd have around 40 or 50 available.

Spinney Staffordshire usually have 30 to 40 used vans on display, currently they have 21.

In response to this shortage used prices have risen significantly, next year it's possible many used vans will be put back on the market and prices reduce to clear excess stock.

Shortage of stock certainly is a big problem at the moment.   I expect there will be a few people reselling their vans because they don't like the life style especially if we have a wet summer.   Some people we knew in the early 1990's bought an ex display model of a 6 berth Avondale and it was very expensive.  They went away on holiday with it and then re sold it to the dealer when they came home as they didn't like caravan life.  I can't imagine they got back anywhere near the price of what they paid for the caravan! 

The shortage of stock and the subsequent raised prices may be a very short lived phenomenon. A lot of new and used sales with part exchanges just haven't completed due to covid. Vans are stacked in dealership storage, reserved for buyers, awaiting their inspection and confirmation of purchase as restrictions relax.

New vans awaiting handover should mean plenty of part exchanges coming into dealer stock. Reserved vans where the sale is not completed by prospective buyers, for any number of reasons, will come back on the market. Used van buyers will also be trading in vans, thereby providing new stock. There have been rumours of the panic buyers reserving any number of vans, of which they'll only  buy one. Dealers will have a very busy time over the next few weeks, scheduling viewings of those reserved vans, prepping them and handing them over. For larger dealers it could take months to work through what is effectively, an enormous backlog, with continuing restrictions slowing down operations.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out, but the current severe shortage of used stock could dissipate by around June time. However if the mini feeding frenzy of buyers new to caravanning continues then availability may not improve 'til the 'disappointed' put their vans back on the market this Autumn or next year. At the present time there's hardly a new caravan to be had, because dealers sold out their allocations a couple of months back and can't even take any orders 'til manufacturers books open for 2022MY in late summer. 

The contrast with motorhomes is striking with the same issues in the used market but plenty of new stock hanging around. Presumably there aren't too many additional buyers wanting to lay out £60k plus for a new van in the current situation whilst the cheaper end of the used motorhome business is roaring away with little stock available and people paying £5k more for a van compared to the same age one 18 months ago.       

Having rea d your brief I came across two Adria's on C/F one sold but the other at the Caravan company Adria Adora with seating front and rear the rear will fit a standard mattress if wanted the bathroom is on the O/S so no problem with awning, If you look that the photo's you could place your awning from the front or rear which ever fits the best as not to block a window.

Not sure if this age had 15" wheels but most on single axle have, It would help with your ground clearance.

Good luck in your search, You don't seem to be making it easy on yourself.

Please don't be offended.

Regards

David  

10 hours ago, german in the blood said:

Having rea d your brief I came across two Adria's on C/F one sold but the other at the Caravan company Adria Adora with seating front and rear the rear will fit a standard mattress if wanted the bathroom is on the O/S so no problem with awning, If you look that the photo's you could place your awning from the front or rear which ever fits the best as not to block a window.

Not sure if this age had 15" wheels but most on single axle have, It would help with your ground clearance.

Good luck in your search, You don't seem to be making it easy on yourself.

Please don't be offended.

Regards

David  

David, whereabouts did you find the two Adria caravans and what does C/F stand for please?   I found some brand new Adria Adora and was very impressed but they are far too much money for me to buy.  

Hello Pauline

C/F is Caravan finder  the Adria that's at the Caravan company is in Finedon Northants, But I think they will take down to Hampshire if your interested in looking at it.

I think someone else on here was looking at one from them.

Good luck.

David 

It would be worth phoning around the dealers to ask. They will know what they have coning into stock as part/ex’s in the next few weeks. A lot if used caravans are selling before they hit the forecourts. We were due to part ex our caravan last year but sold it privately. The dealer was pretty miffed as he had effectively sold it before it landed. 

I do agree with Mr Plodd in that in the current climate you cannot tie yourself to any make or model as the numbers available are simply too low. You do need to try and narrow down the layout as far as possible but even then some compromise might be needed. 

Looking at one local dealer they have no second hand caravans for sale on their website, the others have very low numbers compared with what they would normally have, and the prices are high.

16 hours ago, german in the blood said:

Hello Pauline

C/F is Caravan finder  the Adria that's at the Caravan company is in Finedon Northants, But I think they will take down to Hampshire if your interested in looking at it.

I think someone else on here was looking at one from them.

Good luck.

David 

David, thank you for your help.  I found the Adria that you mentioned at Finedon, Northants.  Unfortunately it is 4 ft longer than my Lunar and I would have problems getting it down the drive without it scraping the ground and damaging it. 

You said in a previous post "Not sure if this age had 15" wheels but most on single axle have, It would help with your ground clearance.   I mentioned a while back on this thread that when I have looked at second hand caravans. many of them look much higher off the ground than others.  Someone said that they were all the same size wheels but I found out that anything prior to 2000, such as my Lunar, are likely to have had 13inch and those manufactured after after that date, including the Adria, have 14 inch.  If some do have 15 inch then I need to find out which ones they are.  

Flatcoat, I have rung a few dealers within about 50 miles of here and some of them have my email and telephone number.  

I wouldn't rely on them phoning back..... keep gently reminding them! 

• 1 month later...

I just thought I would bring things up to date on  here as I have sorted out a few things now.  Perhaps the most important thing is that something has been done about the ruts in the track that I come onto when I go down my drive.    It was so bad that the steadies on my caravan were scraping along the ground.  I also couldn't drive my mobility scooter over it safely without feeling it was going to tip over.  It's a large scooter too and I have no problem driving it up my grassed paddock that has a few bumps in it.  However, if I wanted to post a letter I needed to feel safe, driving along the track which seemed to be getting worse so I rang our village representative to ask him if he knew who owned the track.   He told me he would come and look at it and agreed that it was really bad and  said he would contact the person responsible for its maintenance.   I went out in my car a day or so later and when I got to the track, I was amazed to see that tarmac  had been put in all the ruts!  What a relief!  

I still haven't bought a newer caravan but have decided definitely on a 4 berth fixed bed one.    Most of the ones I have found are in the north and I want to get one nearer.  I have seen an ad for a 2010 Bailey Olympus 464 4 Berth Fixed Bed Lightweight Caravan which is about 30 miles away, but I have come across a problem that someone may be able to answer for me please and that is where to put the TV and Humax box  when there is no shelf for them?  I don't like the idea of putting it next to the cooker as steam from anything cooking could ruin the tv.  There's not enough room next to the kitchen sink but it could get wet there.   I could have the tv on a wall stand but where could the box go?  Any suggestions please?