Back for repair

ascsbe

My one year old Acadia caravan was returned to Highbridge today for damp repairs as a high reading was detected at annual service. Since the service a damp area has appeared in the bathroom roof of my 575. 

Asked local Police for permission to tow it and it was no problem and got email to confirm in case I got stopped. 

Hopefully Highbridge will sort it as really annoyed that after one year this problem should arise. Thought I was going for a better quality finish with the Coachman but it appears not. 

Are Highbridge able to store your caravan under cover to prevent more damage while waiting to be repaired?

Reading other readers of their experience with caravans, it seems to happen a lot.  Its a hit and miss affair whether you receive a good caravan or a bad one.  Not including my second-hand Avondale, I've had two new ones, my first one, Xplore, had damp in it on the second service, so was going back to have it fixed, when it was stolen.  My second new van, the Venus, after two services, no damp whatsoever.

43 minutes ago, gtepete said:

Are Highbridge able to store your caravan under cover to prevent more damage while waiting to be repaired?

No difference to being at home or Highbridge. Outside in both cases. However I believe they are working on it after the 3 day Covid time lag when they won't go in any vehicle for 3 days after drop off. 

They already have all the bits they need from Coachman so don't anticipate a delay. 

Do you have any idea of the point of ingress?   It would be useful to know if it provides fellow owners an opportunity to check/be watchful.

Thanks

Had our 4th service on our 2017 Pastiche 565 today - by a local Approved Workshop we don’t usually use (usual one closed). Sadly they discovered water ingress around the long skylight in the bedroom area - damp patches visible on the ceiling, which we’d not noticed. Then they told us they were too busy to take on the work, so we now need to wait for our usual workshop to reopen and goodness knows when they’ll be able to fit us in. Meanwhile, the rain will continue to fall. 😫

43 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

Had our 4th service on our 2017 Pastiche 565 today - by a local Approved Workshop we don’t usually use (usual one closed). Sadly they discovered water ingress around the long skylight in the bedroom area - damp patches visible on the ceiling, which we’d not noticed. Then they told us they were too busy to take on the work, so we now need to wait for our usual workshop to reopen and goodness knows when they’ll be able to fit us in. Meanwhile, the rain will continue to fall. 😫

I would be getting a ladder out and checking the skylight. You might be able to put sealant or tape around its frame to stop any more water getting in. Similarly if the frame is cracked.

26 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

I would be getting a ladder out and checking the skylight. You might be able to put sealant or tape around its frame to stop any more water getting in. Similarly if the frame is cracked.

Thanks, the van is back in storage, but we’re going up with a step ladder tomorrow to see what we can do. Thankfully no rain forecast imminently.

I am afraid you can get damp with any make but the chance of this with Coachman is probably lower than some but still there.

The van is the 575 single beds bathroom at rear. The  bad reading was right behind the mini heki and just in front of the roof joint. Take your pick? 

Thanks for the information.  Yes, take your pick indeed as its difficult to be accurate before stripdown unless there's a known weakness.   The reason I ask is that having had a 575 with no damp, and now a 545 (similar bodyshell, different layout and Hekis) it could be useful to know if any particular areas need more watching than others. 

• 4 weeks later...

Caravan has been repaired and delivered back to me. 

The leak was from the nearside rear cap. It has hopefully been fixed. 

Thanks to Highbridge Caravans for great service during this partial lockdown.