Oven smells of burning bakelite when in use in new alicanto porto

When we first turned on the gas oven we could smell a strong smell of burning bakelite. On the second use we could still smell the same smell although less. 

Is this normal to expect? Will it eventually go away? 

Any new appliance such as a cooker will have residual contaminates and oils from the manufacturing process which will burn off as the appliance is used and is quite normal.

The effect is magnified in a caravan due to the limited space inside the van.

Got an Alicanto Sintra, so would guess the same oven. Only used twice, but no smell.

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.;)

A friend of mine had this in a caravan and he found the handle to the pan in the oven had dropped down onto the burner and it was burning. His handle must have bounced out of the pan while traveling, 🙄

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Worthwhile having a really good look, using a torch, inside both the oven and grill, to ensure no packing materials left inside. Also, the grill pan handle is often left inside the pan when supplied new. It needs removing to a drawer, else it will get detrimentally hot

Run the oven with EVERYTHING removed - check very carefully - and see what transpires.

Obviously check to make sure nothing left inside but it is normal on first one or two uses.  Burning off the anti corrosion lacquer etc.  Some good dealers will run the oven as part of the PDI. to stop it.   You will get a similar smell when you first strike up the fridge on gas for the same reasons. 

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Does the oven cooling fan kick in?

Alicanto range has fan which cools the oven walls.

DJ

8 hours ago, djadria said:

Does the oven cooling fan kick in?

Alicanto range has fan which cools the oven walls.

DJ

I have never heard the fan running and i have had the oven on for 20 minutes or more.

I have checked that there is no handles or packing material on the burner. 

I have been able to view behind the oven through the bottom cupboard with a large mirror and torch and see nothing touching the wall, I do see a birds nest of wires at the top right under the hot plates section.  

I can't see the fan though.

sadly the OP never came back to tell us if he found an answer to the problem.   However if I were you I would get the bunch of wires checked out, have you just bought the van, if it's from a dealer get them to check things out for you.

Yes that's my next step, I think I should hear the fan running at least.

When should the cooling fan operate with the oven set on maximum?

Edited by cdoughty

I don't want to alarm you but I had this smell in the house when I replaced by built-in cooker last year. It eventually turned out that the lower element was transmitting heat downwards and singeing the shelf on which the cooker rests. It had to come out for fitting our new boiler revealing the melamine surface had melted away and the heat was making inroads into the MDF - could have been serious.  The answer was to lay a small sheet of steel over the burnt area. Problem solved.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

What does bakelilte smell like?

2 hours ago, gtepete said:

What does bakelilte smell like?

It's an age thing, Bakelite is a for runner of plastic and plugs, pan handles were made of it. When a pan handle was to close to a flame the smell was very obnoxious and not pleasant. Read here about Bakelite. 

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

When we used the new van at Christmas I wondered what the noise was when we switched off the oven, it was the fan running on for about five minutes  , didn't know we had a fan oven till I got the hand book out and checked :rolleyes:

I am sure our oven smelt on first use, same as ones in the house even though wiped out first.

On our caravan oven the cooling fan is mounted on the top of the outside of the oven casing and has a nearby temperature sensor that starts/stops it. Bypassing the sensor connections allows the fan to be checked but to get to it needs the oven pulling out slightly. It is a small computer type of fan so nothing special. It was replaced after 1 year under warranty after not working and a year or 2 later I replaced it myself after it failed again. It does not run all the time, only once the area gets hot and can be heard starting/stopping and takes quite a few minutes after the oven is turned off to finally stop. When it had failed I still used the oven without any smells.

1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

I am sure our oven smelt on first use, same as ones in the house even though wiped out first.

On our caravan oven the cooling fan is mounted on the top of the outside of the oven casing and has a nearby temperature sensor that starts/stops it. Bypassing the sensor connections allows the fan to be checked but to get to it needs the oven pulling out slightly. It is a small computer type of fan so nothing special. It was replaced after 1 year under warranty after not working and a year or 2 later I replaced it myself after it failed again. It does not run all the time, only once the area gets hot and can be heard starting/stopping and takes quite a few minutes after the oven is turned off to finally stop. When it had failed I still used the oven without any smells.

How did you access the fan and tempture sensor.

6 hours ago, gtepete said:

What does bakelite smell like?

It's ORRIBLE. Once smelt, never forgotten. ;)

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.       I'm not paranoid, they ARE out to get me.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

Those overrun fans are not good for the battery charge  when off grid!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Turn grill on - within 5 mins the fan comes on 👍

23 hours ago, cdoughty said:

How did you access the fan and tempture sensor.

From what I can remember, the screws down the side of the oven front were removed and then I pulled the oven out a bit. I also seem to remember removing the panel at the top of the oven but it was 7 or 8 years ago so I am not too sure (the fan from RS must be better quality than the original ones). The fan could easily be seen and following its wires to one side I could see it was connected to the sensor.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I think I will first turn on the grill for 5 minutes and see if the fan runs.

If not I will dismantle the cooker and have look at the mess of wires under the top section. (I am a retired electrician  so am more than capable of doing this)

I guess they were in a rush to finish my caravan.

I notice when looking behind  the oven through the bottom cupboard, all the water and heating pipes and some gas pipes are in a mess also.  No wonder the hot water is not much better than a dribble. I may re run that pipe through the cupboard.