I want to install new electric water heater (need help with connectors please)

Thanks @ everyone who have given me valueable info regarding the connectors and pipes. However I decided not to take any risks and took the pipe off and measured it. It was far easier than I thought, the fittings were basically hand tightened and refitting gave me no problems or leaks.

Indeed it's 12mm outside and 10mm inside. I'll get some extra pipe and correct fittings and will try to remember to come back and post some pics once I have fitted the new heater.

Quite sure I got everything I need, however I have one quick question. Do I need to install this 1 way valve for new heater? (pls read below before replying).

valve.jpg.dbe65a0d80597248686aae4d2c910d71.jpg.72efc09523e48375e68fed3593b67ae6.jpg

I ask, because I already have similar thing between the current cold water pipe. It's about 60cm from where I want to install the new heater. This is what i have:

IMG_0354.thumb.JPG.18dd69d53ccd91e9a95f51a2a94e5311.JPG

Would just like to know if the current one is enough. I would install both, but space is quite limited and it would be better if I don't have to install it. Thanks.

The item you seem to think is a one way valve shown in the picture with the yellow lever is not a one way valve, it is a drain valve.

9 minutes ago, Brecon said:

The item you seem to think is a one way valve shown in the picture with the yellow lever is not a one way valve, it is a drain valve.

It's also a pressure reducer, if pressure gets too much, it will push the spring up (as when you do it manually by moving the lever into open position) and it relieves the pressure. Or why does it have that release there for? it's under sink tank, so turning the valve on does absolutely nothing as all the water is below the valve.

But can you please answer my question, is it needed or not? Personally I don't see any use for it in my case, but I'd like to be sure. thanks.

The yellow valve in your photo is safety and a dump valve to drain down the hot water, it will operate at about 3.5bar.  It’s not a one way valve tho. Is the black fitting before it a one way?

Your metal one way is nearly 7 bar so I’d say it’s pointless. I’m unclear however about expansion in your proposed setup what does your chosen boiler say around this? Unvented hot water can be rather perplexing 🥴

Cheers, Martin

8 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

The yellow valve in your photo is safety and a dump valve to drain down the hot water, it will operate at about 3.5bar.  It’s not a one way valve tho. Is the black fitting before it a one way?

Your metal one way is nearly 7 bar so I’d say it’s pointless. I’m unclear however about expansion in your proposed setup what does your chosen boiler say around this? Unvented hot water can be rather perplexing 🥴

it doesn't say much at all. it has only couple pictures and that's it. i think it's pointless too to include it as camper ones are lower pressure anyways, so there's no risk to "blow" the pipes. I tried the metal one on shower and it restricts the flow even more, so i think it's bad idea to have it. I mean pump is not powerful enough to freely flow that metal valve.

1 hour ago, MartinJB said:

I’m unclear however about expansion in your proposed setup what does your chosen boiler say around this? Unvented hot water can be rather perplexing 🥴

Any unvented hot water system has to have an expansion space ( air ) to accommodate the greater volume of water when it is heated.

This can be done several ways:

a) there may be sufficient expansion space in the pipework, rare, especially so in a caravan with only  short pipe  runs.

b) provide an airspace in the boiler, as done in the original Truma boiler in the van, Truma call this an air cushion, which Truma state that when their boiler is used continually i.e. living permanently in the van with the boiler used continually, that every few weeks, the ' air cushion ' has to be replenished. 

c) provide a separate expansion vessel.

The question is, what expansion system does the new boiler have, or need, is it mentioned in the specifications ?

With no expansion space, what will happen is that as the water is heated, it expands with no where to go, pressure increases  up to about 3 bar, then the safety valve lifts to vent pressure and so it goes on, just as a CT member found out on his Truma boiler when he had an ongoing leak from the valve lifting occasionally, the cause being that the ' air cushion ' had been depleted and needed to be renewed.

Next, should you leave the original valve in situ, taking into account that it serves two purposes ?

One it being a lower value that the one supplied by the manufacturer may be OK, but only the manufacturer will know.

Its second function is as a drain/dump valve to drain down the whole water system in the caravan, hot and cold pipework  and boiler, that's why it is positioned where it is and at the lowest point in the water circuit.

Depending on where and how the new boiler is connected into the circuit, you need to establish if using this valve, that it will still serve as a pressure release valve and also allow you to drain down the new boiler, if not you will need to make other arrangements for both.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Silversurf said:

Any unvented hot water system has to have an expansion space ( air ) to accommodate the greater volume of water when it is heated.

I have no idea, but with the original I always had higher pressure bursting out of hot water tap when I heated it from cold to hot. I had no idea about it at first, but after first couple of times, I started manually venting it 1-3 times while it was heating as pressure seemed bit too much (turning tap on / off for a second)

Before it broke, it no longer did that. I used it 2-3 times before it broke and it didn't build up the pressure anymore, it should be other way around, but go figure. . no idea.

I just finished installing the new one and didn't have any pressure build up issues. I filled it with cold water and heated all the way up to like 65C (max is 70). It is advertised as "electrically pressure resistant". I have never heard such term before, but common sense tells me it has some sort of expansion tank that is operated electrically.

Also my pressure switch on camper is turned to quite low, so there should be more than enough room for expansion + the drain / pressure valve. My camper actually has quite long pipework. It runs all around the edges .. there's at least a good 20 meters of cold pipe there and another 15 of hot. Water comes from right side near front, then it goes all around from front to the kitchen area (other side, middle) and then from other side it runs all the way to shower and bathroom basin. Total lenght of my camper is about 5.9 meters inside. I don't think there will be any issues.

However what I don't understand, how would that valve help me anyways if it's only installed between cold water? It would only make it worse as all the pressure would be forced into hot water pipe, but without the 1 way pressure valve, it can also go back into cold water pipe.

Just took a shower and 5-10 mins after shower it was already fully heated up again, I'm glad I chose not to fix the old garbage, 10 liter 450w is just not enough, but 15 liter 1500w does excellent job with low pressure!

I replaced the EU plug with UK one and connected it into smart plug, so I can set schedules or operate it remotely. Also actual wattage is 1365 (as seen on the screenshot).

Thanks again @everyone who helped me figure out the pipes and connectors. Here are some pictures of my "frankenstein".

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Morlord
added info