Water heater just broke - help please!

Morlord

30 minutes ago, Morlord said:

Those who wonder about the breaker, it kicked out the one in camper and also the one in the house. I tried several times and as soon as i turn water heater on, breaker goes out. definetely something broke.

Anyway I have decied that I want to install a more powerful one anyways, this 500w is just taking too long to get hot water anyways. I'll open new topic regarding connectors, as I don't know which connectors I need to convert camper connectors to regular ones.

suggestion, try Amazon UK,  or  leisure shop for caravan spares, or try  coachman website . Any of these sites may give you the answer that you are looking for. if you know the make and model of your water heater  you could also go onto their site for information or you could try townie's advice and get a caravan engineer in.

36 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

No need if it is all related to this topic, it it's not then there is a sub section called Electrics

Thanks, but I already opened new topic as it's more related to installing a different heater tank than trying to fix this one.

I won't bother trying to fix this heater (unless someone tells me that I could buy new and more powerful heating element for it, 1500w instead of 500w would work). I was already thinking about getting a more powerful heater as 500w is just not enough, so here's the new topic about new heater -

2 minutes ago, joanie said:

suggestion, try Amazon UK,  or  leisure shop for caravan spares, or try  coachman website . Any of these sites may give you the answer that you are looking for. if you know the make and model of your water heater  you could also go onto their site for information or you could try townie's advice and get a caravan engineer in.

thanks, but amazon UK won't deliver anything outside UK, so it's rather useless to me. Same with caravan spares, EU places have parts only for EU campers, not UK ones.

caravan engineer is out of the question, I would not be living in caravan if I had money to throw around. engineer would easily charge 300+ eur for a simple repair.

I do everything myself and I know how, only things I don't know, is name of each connector and pipe that I need. That's why i'm asking here. electrics and plumbing is kids play if I have connectors that I need.

anyways I won't bother with this garbage heater, I already opened new topic. I want to get a new and more powerful heater and install that one instead. Please refer to the new topic I made. Thanks.

Edited by Morlord

18 minutes ago, Morlord said:

as I don't know which connectors I need to convert camper connectors to regular ones.

Water or electric connectors ?

Either way, you need to be more specific and let us know, preferably with a photo or two:

1) Do you need info for water or electric or both connectors?

2) What is the make and model of the boiler you intend removing and the max. current it draws, this info is needed in-case the wiring for the old boiler isn't up to the 2,000 Watt of your new one.

3) Does your old boiler also run on gas, if so needs to be safely disconnected.

4) When you said this earlier  "but I think i'm going to just buy electric boiler and put it in bathroom closet."  you do realise that this location is both dangerous and potentially illegal, water and 240v can be deadly, instantly !

5) Will you be using plastic or copper pipework or a mix and fittings, push on or compression, and what diameter do you intend using.

6) What are the water inlet / outlet connection dimensions, i.e. thread, imperial, metric, or the odd ones that are about BSP and the like, bore diameters and thread form, thread pitch  on the  new boiler.

7) Is the quality of the water supply where you are compatible with the boiler specs. e.g. will it be too hard, if so you may need a water softener.

8) Are the same connections and pipework on the old boiler the same as, or different to, those  on the new boiler, if not then you may need various reducers or adaptors.

These may appear to be a lot of irrelevant questions, but they are those that need to be addressed to see (a) if your plan is viable and if so (b) that all materials and tools are easily to hand and the most important one, if you want to do it safely, is (c) you thoroughly understand what needs doing, why, what sequence to do it in and imperative where 240v and water is concerned that it inspected on completion by a competent person.

Since that is a Truma Gerätetechnik GmbH & Co. KG Putzbrunn water heater pictured - just Google their products for the manuals, parts diagrams and spares suppliers where you are located?  They make the most commonly fitted water heater unit for leisure vehicles.

The latest version has 800/1300 Watt switchable element to suit pitch electric supply limitations. 

The original single-power version was always 850 W, I thought, not 500?

As they are usually Gas & Electric and the operating instruction recommend running both gas and electric simultaneously for fastest heat up - the gas is rated at 1500 W equivalent heat input.

Water connections will likely be Whale or John Guest Speedfit push-fit 12mm and (rarer) 15mm pipe size.  Google again for suppliers in your region.

TBF with the 'attitude' you've displayed I'm not sure why we're being so willing to assist.

2 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

TBF with the 'attitude' you've displayed I'm not sure why we're being so willing to assist.

To be honest I don't always agree with you Rodders, nor you me, but the above deserves a :goodpost:and a :Thankyou:

@Silversurf please refer to my new topic that I made here - https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/150119-i-want-to-install-new-electric-water-heater-need-help-with-connectors-please/

I have explained everthing in detail and included pictures. Yes it's electric / gas hybrid, but I don't plan on removing it. I just want to disconnect water and put a new one next to it, there's enough room.

2 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

The original single-power version was always 850 W, I thought, not 500?

definetely not. It says 500w in manual and I also have smart plug in between the main cord that comes into camper and it confirms the 500w.

19 minutes ago, Morlord said:

definetely not. It says 500w in manual and I also have smart plug in between the main cord that comes into camper and it confirms the 500w.

What manual. I've just looked at the Ultrastore manual and it says 850w, But checking from 06/03 it changed from 450w to 850w. 
Depending on the series. Series 2 and 3 were 450w

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

19 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

:Plus1::goodpost:

I have worked with people from other European countries and they all have their own country cultures. Since Morlord is possibly German, what may appear as an attitude may just be a cultural thing and being more abrupt than people from the UK are used to.

Has the other thread for this problem vanished ?

I had just got ready to post a list of what was needed and a sketch of how to do it, quite simple, ,  with around 4-8 fittings a possibly a section of pipe, .........I did mention that Morland was overthinking it all....................oh well. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Silversurf said:

Has the other thread for this problem vanished ?

Apparently so!   It was pulled before any actual blows were struck.:o

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

2 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Apparently so!   It was pulled before any actual blows were struck.:o

Ta, yes it was getting a bit heated, I expected Benny Hill popping up and saying in his best Chineese accent ..............................

image.png.caec43a544e5f2cd888a0d35d027a2f2.png

2 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Ta, yes it was getting a bit heated, I expected Benny Hill popping up and saying in his best Chineese accent ..............................

The mods took their blue pencils to it, deleted a few entries - and then reopened it a few hours later.

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

On 24/02/2021 at 15:15, Dave Capiro owner said:

All domestic use RCD's are rated 30mA trip sensitivity, but some seem to have more tolerance ( time lag perhaps) than others.

If the dishwasher was OK on first install then it suggests a fault has developed, possibly in the harness where the door hinge is, I'd look at the warranty to see if it's covered.

That's what I was thinking, but it's very strange for that to happen in such a new machine.  Knowing my luck 

it'll probably be a month or so out of warranty !  That never fails .

That's one of the problems with integrated ones, all the controls are on the door top, so it all needs to travel 

back through the harness, where as with its Bosch predecessor which was free standing, all the controls are on 

the facia with nothing electrical on the door !   Maybe the quality just isn't there anymore ?   The Bosch was still

going strong after about 15 years and it's predecessor a Philips lasted about the same.

On 24/02/2021 at 14:17, Lost in the wilderness said:

Ah the old British Standard Pipe threads. (BSP)

Long Live Whitworth !!!!!!!

Posted (edited)
On 24/02/2021 at 18:21, JanandJay said:

What manual. I've just looked at the Ultrastore manual and it says 850w, But checking from 06/03 it changed from 450w to 850w. 
Depending on the series. Series 2 and 3 were 450w

hmm indeed it's 450w in manual, I don't know why I remembered 500w, maybe because when I checked via smart plug, it went up by 500w. I guess not everything is as precise as it says in manual.

anyway I got my new heater just today and I also ordered simple flexi pipes from 1/2 to 10mm, just matter of installing now.

Before I go on installing it, do I need that 1 way / pressure reducer valve?

I refer to this valve

valve.jpg.dbe65a0d80597248686aae4d2c910d71.jpg

my heater came with one and it indicates I should put it on input (cold water) and as I understand in normal house hold it's needed for over pressure and to prevent hot water from going back into cold pipe as it heats up, but my camper already has one built into the cold water pipe and the drainage pipe goes straight outside through the floor, so do I still need it? Thanks.

Edited by Morlord