I should have stayed at home.

I got back from my bike ride to find the Hermes delivery guy had called. He’d put a parcel over the back gate. And here I’m assuming -- he knocked over a couple of lengths of scaffold tube. The longer piece has hit the caravan and smashed the door of the gas bottle locker. Not only is the outer skin torn, but the ventilator grill is smashed as well.

Looking online, it seems the caravan club sell replacement panels in their shop for around £24. But without a ventilator. Anybody bought one?

IMG_20210223_114634.jpg.ae0f23aa065951beb16e5ec84b2d42a8.jpg

IMG_20210223_114453.jpg.d4f63e7f283fc1cc355ad008545d8770.jpg

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

That’s not nice, however it happened, but in one way you were very lucky it wasn’t the side of the van. Hopefully you’ll be able to find a replacement door - maybe a caravan breakers will be able to help you? Try these - 

www.caravanbreakers.net.

Glen.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

Jaydug, I am feeling your pain right now. I had to replace a panel on our previous van, actually we changed a locker, the new kit came with the frame, designed of course to use the cut out from the side of the van as it's infill but we didn't have that. We have a UPVC door and window company on the industrial estate and went to see f they had anything to fit, they found a suitable piece and gave it to me for free. It was simply polystyrene with UPVC bonded to either side but fitted perfectly. I had to cut it to size and shape of course but it was very easy to cut. I fitted a vent from Wickes which cost about 89p

It's the stuff they make UPVC door panels from 

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

Can you separate the inner & outer frame of the door and have the skin replaced? That’s really bad luck but as said above, at least the damage is confined to the door rather than the side panel.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

15 hours ago, PMW said:

We have a UPVC door and window company on the industrial estate and went to see f they had anything to fit,

Thanks for the mention about using uPVC sheet.    Builders up the road have put an old kitchen door in their skip so I've scrounged the bottom panel from it.   It's going to need some thickening  up.    It came out with the utmost of ease.     Note to anyone with a solid door panel - Get it changed for a glazed unit.   The 'low-life' could remove it and be into your house in minutes.   I'm surprised the insurance companies insist on multipoint locks, yet allow these 'solid' panels.

Anyone know the rules on whether or not it's mandatory to have a 'Gas' label attached to the door of the locker?

19 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

Thanks for the mention about using uPVC sheet.    Builders up the road have put an old kitchen door in their skip so I've scrounged the bottom panel from it.   It's going to need some thickening  up.    It came out with the utmost of ease.     Note to anyone with a solid door panel - Get it changed for a glazed unit.   The 'low-life' could remove it and be into your house in minutes.   I'm surprised the insurance companies insist on multipoint locks, yet allow these 'solid' panels.

The door must have been a old door all up to date upvc windows and doors have the beading on the inside 

29 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

Anyone know the rules on whether or not it's mandatory to have a 'Gas' label attached to the door of the locker?

You can get these stickers online Jay, I got one for my old van for an online accessory shop, but Amazon will do them as well.

41 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

This 10 year old topic suggests a label is not required

17 hours ago, PMW said:

Jaydug, I am feeling your pain right now. I had to replace a panel on our previous van, actually we changed a locker, the new kit came with the frame, designed of course to use the cut out from the side of the van as it's infill but we didn't have that. We have a UPVC door and window company on the industrial estate and went to see f they had anything to fit, they found a suitable piece and gave it to me for free. It was simply polystyrene with UPVC bonded to either side but fitted perfectly. I had to cut it to size and shape of course but it was very easy to cut. I fitted a vent from Wickes which cost about 89p

It's the stuff they make UPVC door panels from 

:goodpost:

1 hour ago, Jaydug said:

Better still go for a composite or solid wood door !

1 hour ago, Jaydug said:

Try a hairdryer to peel the old one off and re-use it ?  Carefully does it though !!

It does require 'LPG' label to comply with regulations.

CPDavis Fordingbridge

1 hour ago, CPDavis said:

Can you provide a link or a reference to the specific regulation(s) that makes such a label compulsory please?

52 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Can you provide a link or a reference to the specific regulation(s) that makes such a label compulsory please?

LPG label on eBay about £1.50

the vent I would a soffit vent also on eBay 

hole this helps

ps. the regulation for the sticker is in the event of a Accident emergency service can locate the LPG gas

Personally, I wouldn’t use a soffit vent.

The fins on those point straight out since they point straight down when used for their intended purpose in soffits.

Vents for use in vertical surfaces have the fins angled downwards to let rain run out rather than in.

The vent shown in Jaydug’s pictures clearly show the fins angled downwards.

32 minutes ago, Alfie T said:

LPG label on eBay about £1.50

the vent I would a soffit vent also on eBay 

hole this helps

ps. the regulation for the sticker is in the event of a Accident emergency service can locate the LPG gas

Thank you but none of that helps with a link or reference to the actual regulation(s) that makes compulsory an ‘LPG label' on a leisure vehicle.

Which specific regulation are you referring to when you advise me of the purpose of the regulation (in bold above).  

3 hours ago, CPDavis said:

I am curious as to the specific regulation(s).  As far as I can tell, private vehicles carrying ‘a small number of cylinders' are largely exempted from any regulations governing the carrying of gas cylinders including the display of warning/hazard markers.

I don’t disagree with the good practice of displaying an LPG sticker on a gas locker.  

I just fitted these to a new studded wall at home as there’s a gas pipe behind as recommended by my gas fitter. 60mm diameter and vents pointing downwards.253EA0C0-2CC2-4F99-A8BC-9C86ACA7D22E.thumb.png.53eb039da39c51bf6eaaa6d5fad20fb4.png

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

I would be tempted to cut the damaged skin away (NOT all the way through, just the outer skin) or push it back inside the foam.

Then reskin the door with something suitable.

Re the vent - do as Garryb1969 has suggested.

The makers would not fit a LPG label if it wasn't required, and for the tiny cost of one, just fit it.

43 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

I would be tempted to cut the damaged skin away (NOT all the way through, just the outer skin) or push it back inside the foam.

Re the vent - do as Garryb1969 has suggested.

I'm already in the process of building up a new infill panel.   I have on order two vent grills similar to the original, but of 125mm diameter.

Just now, Jaydug said:

I'm already in the process of building up a new infill panel.   I have on order two vent grills similar to the original, but of 125mm diameter.

Never mind that Jay have you moved the scaffolding poles 🤔🤨😮

Cheers, Martin

7 minutes ago, MartinJB said:

Never mind that Jay have you moved the scaffolding poles 🤔🤨😮

:D  Oh yes!

Glad you found something to suit. Regulations require the gas locker to be vented, but there is no legal requirement to display an LPG sticker. In the event of emergency the fire brigade will expect the presence of LPG in a caravan or motor caravan but it's considered good practice to mark the locker so they know exactly where it is, especially if it is not a traditional front locker. 

Remember to fit some kind of insect shield on the inside of the vents, if they don't have them built in. 

If that were mine I would buy a sheet of aluminium from B@Q or similar and fashion it so it sits just inside the bottom of the frame with say a 5mm gap all round and up as high as the the plastic door handle so that it just covers the damaged area. Remove the broken vent and then onto the aluminium sheet fit 2 x aluminium louvred vent covers, the bottom one would be live using the existing hole in the infill panel (cut a hole to match in the new aluminium infill panel) and the top vent would be a ‘dummy’ vent.

Fix the aluminium sheet using Soudal Fix-All/Sikaflex or similar and fix the vents to this using a small stainless steel self tapping screw in each corner of each vent with a thin bead of same adhesive/sealant around the outer edge (and a blob on thread of each screw to seal the screws in). Louvred vents also available from B@Q and the like.

This would look like it is ‘meant to be’ and the aluminium would match the aluminium surround to the door which is beside.

Vents similar to below which I fitted to the door of my caravan to cover a small dent. 

D71EF46C-5A15-4065-B51F-D61645FF0768.jpeg

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Thanks for that VV!   However I'm too far ahead with the uPVC panel, and with the round plastic grills on order, it's  too late to change now.    But thanks anyway.

11 hours ago, PMW said:

but there is no legal requirement to display an LPG sticker

Yes there is.

GSIUR and BS5482 state that " A notice shall  be permanently fixed to the outside of the (gas) housing door to indicate the presence of LPG"

24 minutes ago, Brecon said:

Yes there is.

GSIUR and BS5482 state that " A notice shall  be permanently fixed to the outside of the (gas) housing door to indicate the presence of LPG"

Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 does not apply to touring caravans unless they are being used commercially or as a dwelling and BS5482 applies only at the point of manufacture / first sale when declared new. 

There is no legal requirement on the owner to maintain an LPG warning, though it is good practice to do so. 

Edited by PMW