Anyone got solar?

Silverfish

Message added by CT Advertising,

clesse-320x120.jpg

Hello

I’ve bought a static which I will be living in full time and planning to renovate over the year. It’s arriving next Saturday. Does anyone run their static fully with solar? I’m planning this in the future to avoid the meter which is 24p kWh and would like to know if anyone else has solar and whether it was worth it? 

I don’t have any kWh readings just yet to get a quote as I’m waiting to see what my consumption would be but if anyone has any info on what they use/how much they spent on the set up/whether it’s worth it etc that would be grand. I understand locations etc all play a part too but just looking to get a feel from general people.

10 minutes ago, AliceW said:

Hello

I’ve bought a static which I will be living in full time and planning to renovate over the year. It’s arriving next Saturday. Does anyone run their static fully with solar? I’m planning this in the future to avoid the meter which is 24p kWh and would like to know if anyone else has solar and whether it was worth it? 

I don’t have any kWh readings just yet to get a quote as I’m waiting to see what my consumption would be but if anyone has any info on what they use/how much they spent on the set up/whether it’s worth it etc that would be grand. I understand locations etc all play a part too but just looking to get a feel from general people.

No personal experience with solar, but there is a caravan site I pass on the train (it is actually a traveller site, with statics) and they are obviously running on solar.

As a static van roof is not usually strong enough to take solar panels, what this site has done is each home has the panel on a tall pole next to the home - the poles and the panels are very substantial,so they look as if they are running pretty much entirely on solar.

Whether or not it is cost effective, no idea.

https://offgridinstaller.com/project/off-grid-static-caravan-park-home-oxfordshire/

https://offgridinstaller.com/project/off-grid-powered-static-caravan-in-milford-haven/

21 minutes ago, AliceW said:

I’m planning this in the future to avoid the meter which is 24p kWh 

Where have you got that rate from? 

What static have you purchased? Brand new? Agree with above roof structure is usually an issue for solar weight. 

I had solar on a park home 4kW  but unless you have storage (eg battery) for overnight and a solution for prolonged dark periods you will struggle to be self sufficient. It all depends on your load calcs. 

Presumably you have LPG for heat/water and hob, what about oven? 

Cheers, Martin

3 hours ago, 2seaside said:

No personal experience with solar, but there is a caravan site I pass on the train (it is actually a traveller site, with statics) and they are obviously running on solar.

As a static van roof is not usually strong enough to take solar panels, what this site has done is each home has the panel on a tall pole next to the home - the poles and the panels are very substantial,so they look as if they are running pretty much entirely on solar.

Whether or not it is cost effective, no idea.

https://offgridinstaller.com/project/off-grid-static-caravan-park-home-oxfordshire/

https://offgridinstaller.com/project/off-grid-powered-static-caravan-in-milford-haven/

Ah great, thanks I’ll check this out 👍

3 hours ago, MartinJB said:

Where have you got that rate from? 

What static have you purchased? Brand new? Agree with above roof structure is usually an issue for solar weight. 

I had solar on a park home 4kW  but unless you have storage (eg battery) for overnight and a solution for prolonged dark periods you will struggle to be self sufficient. It all depends on your load calcs. 

Presumably you have LPG for heat/water and hob, what about oven? 

Nope it’s 2001 but I’m going to put wooden cladding on it and was thinking of a new roof.  Still might not be strong enough so I’ll take a look at other options. 

That’s the rate for the electric meter. Why do you ask?

It doesn’t need to be 100% self sufficient as there is an electric meter but it would be good to be on solar as much as possible if it worked out to be worth it. 

Gas hob, multi fuel stove and gas heater, gas oven, LPG for water etc as you say. So you ran your static from a 4kw set up?

32 minutes ago, AliceW said:

Ah great, thanks I’ll check this out 👍

Nope it’s 2001 but I’m going to put wooden cladding on it and was thinking of a new roof.  Still might not be strong enough so I’ll take a look at other options. 

It doesn’t need to be 100% self sufficient as there is an electric meter but it would be good to be on solar as much as possible if it worked out to be worth it. 

Gas hob, multi fuel stove and gas heater, gas oven, LPG for water etc as you say. So you ran your static from a 4kw set up?

Because it’s so expensive, who is the electricity provider? Or is the site being unlawful? 

My setup (at the time) was supplementary solar to mains electricity and a feed in tarrif - not standalone/off-grid. It gave us free hot water (apart form really bad days) and some offset but as we had no way to store electricity we stayed on-grid. 

Cheers, Martin

52 minutes ago, AliceW said:

Our household rate is 16.66p /kWh. 
Something wrong somewhere with what you are or think you're paying

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

I agree and we pay around 16-17p per unit for elec. People's energy, who I was checking this afternoon, also charge the same. 

If Alice is paying 24p then that is illegal as I think static sites are not allowed to charge more than what they pay their utility company. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

There are flexible solar panels that weigh substantially less than the “normal” metal framed ones (they are I believe also self adhesive) I understand they are not quite as efficient, but the weight saving would allow you to have a few more. 

As a guide I have 15 panels on my house roof (so angled at about 30°) At the height of the summer the best peak output is around 3.7Kw. But today they produced a total of just 2.9Kwh (which earnt me 58p) 

Last May (really sunny) they produced about 27 KWh a day. (Nice earner) 

As for battery storage (230v)  I have looked at it. The cost is around £2500 :o 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

There are some very good instructional videos on utube for building your own lithium battery bank. We are still paying through the nose in the Uk though for the cells.  Have a look at those done by Will Prowes for example. 

Hmm probably won’t be going solar as it looks too costly for what you get with a static. Never mind. 

The electricity is expensive and there’s no doubt there’s some dodgy dealings going on with lining pockets but I’m only paying £20 a week rent for the pitch so it’s still much cheaper than renting even a room, let alone my own place.  And I love it there so it works out okay. 

9 hours ago, AliceW said:

Hmm probably won’t be going solar as it looks too costly for what you get with a static. Never mind. 

The electricity is expensive and there’s no doubt there’s some dodgy dealings going on with lining pockets but I’m only paying £20 a week rent for the pitch so it’s still much cheaper than renting even a room, let alone my own place.  And I love it there so it works out okay. 

Yes Alice soar is not cheap! even with a feed-in tariff it’s still a considerable outlay. You could keep an eye for a used system or buy used panels to offset some of the expensive 24p kWh - up to 800W technically you don’t have to notify however you will almost certainly need to check with your power supplier ‘landlord’ as there may already be a solar/power generation agreement that cannot be exceeded and must be considered. 
Do all the obvious stuff and change lighting for LED’s, insulate well and so on. Unfortunately LPG is not cheap either especially in 47kg tanks so another possible consideration is a solar hot water system. 
Do you have access to cheap seasoned wood for the stove? That’s possibly one easy route for ‘cheaper heat’.

Good luck with it all, keep us posted! 

Cheers, Martin

11 hours ago, MartinJB said:

Yes Alice soar is not cheap! even with a feed-in tariff it’s still a considerable outlay. You could keep an eye for a used system or buy used panels to offset some of the expensive 24p kWh - up to 800W technically you don’t have to notify however you will almost certainly need to check with your power supplier ‘landlord’ as there may already be a solar/power generation agreement that cannot be exceeded and must be considered. 
Do all the obvious stuff and change lighting for LED’s, insulate well and so on. Unfortunately LPG is not cheap either especially in 47kg tanks so another possible consideration is a solar hot water system. 
Do you have access to cheap seasoned wood for the stove? That’s possibly one easy route for ‘cheaper heat’.

Good luck with it all, keep us posted! 

Yeah cheap wood is an option, other people that live there use it so I’ll ask them about it. I’m looking to get it well insulated and put cladding on it. I was considering underfloor heating but it’d cost a lot to run. Thanks for everyone’s posts. I’ll keep an update of the progress on the forum. 

36 minutes ago, Lagerorwine said:

12.6p KWh with 14,7p/day standing charge - 12 months fixed contract last year

If I was paying 24p/kwh, me and wife would have to buy a vest, long johns and  very thick coat, especially in a static caravan. 50mm Kingspan could be the answer if you can disguise it with cladding.