What a waste of a Service

My direct line policy increased from £588 to £773 i rang them but the best price was just under £730. 

As of the 1st march, i'm with aviva online for £590 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am given to understand that when a car isn't used much then seals can dry out and wires corrode, that's apart from the battery and the tyres going flat.  With the lock downs we've had this past year

When doing online insurance quotes it's worth trying different answers to some of the what seem like cover/cost influencing questions (e.g. annual mileage, garaged or not etc.). Sometimes they don't c

How bizarre! My insurance renewal just in from LV has reduced by £12    As for vehicle servicing the major issue is engine oil. If a vehicle does very low mileage it rarely (if ever) gets up

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Mine came on precisely 11 months after they reset the service/oil light after the last service. 

I suspect it's a design feature. ;)

Some claim to be cleverer but I'd guess they are mostly mileage and/or time actuated.

I do notice that the service/oil light comes on earlier, though, when I do more towing or lots of short journeys in city traffic than when solo long distance trips.

On our cars the service due symbol comes on a few weeks before its due by date but as it gets nearer the date it counts down the mileage in lots of 50 miles a day. They are no where near the service mileage interval but it counts down from possibly 500. Resetting the service warning is easy though, just hold down a button on the dash and switch on the ignition so anyone could do a reset whether or not it had been serviced.

As well as servicing to maintain a mechanical warranty, some cars need a bodywork check to maintain any paint/corrosion warranty. On PSA cars the first is at 4 years and then every 2 years. Cost at our dealer is about £30 and it is worth having it done. We've had 2 Citroen C4 bonnets replaced when the paint started to bubble at 4 years old. If we had to pay it was about £900 but if we did have to pay it would have been a few pounds for some touch up paint.

23 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

Ours is booked in for a collect and second service in a fortnight. 

Will be  just about 3300 miles since last year's and the thing has started nagging us for an 'oil change' every time we start the engine.

That's costing over 10p a mile travelled!

Our LV= insurance went up again in January.  Should really have reduced the miles stated,  but was being optimistic/hopeful?

Ask your service garage to set the service warning light to "mileage " as opposed to "time"  for your next service ...I had that problem where my service due warning lamp came on ....The car had only done 8000 since last service ...But 18 months had lapsed ....He reset the warning light to mileage after that service ..

Edited by PeterR
6 minutes ago, PeterR said:

Ask your service garage to set the service warning light to "mileage " as opposed to "time"  for your next service ...

No thanks.  We won't ever do enough miles in a year (12mths/18k intervals on this Ford) for that to be sensible.

I just treat the message as a reminder to book the service (and the first MOT next time round).  Our dealer's reminder letter turns up around the same time, too!

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

I made my living from servicing small power engines,  IE, lawnmowers , up to about twenty horsepower,I always stipulated the importance of regular oil changes when I sold them, but it always astonished me when often I would get one in to service and the customer said it hadn’t been changed in years! Some claiming to be up to twenty years old! and still running good as new.

3 hours ago, Townie said:

I am with Saga, which went up by £40 for my car and by £50 for Mrs T's car. A quick check on Go Compare and I got a quote of £20 LESS than last years cost. A phone call to Saga and they price matched, so we're staying with them.

I tried SAGA last night, they wanted fractionally more than double my renewal quote from LV :o 

No rhyme nor reason to it is there?

1 hour ago, Rodders53 said:

Mine came on precisely 11 months after they reset the service/oil light after the last service. 

I suspect it's a design feature. ;)

Some claim to be cleverer but I'd guess they are mostly mileage and/or time actuated.

I had a good rummage around all the settings on my car whilst Mrs P was shopping earlier. I discovered a setting for “Oil change due in ?? miles”  

The car was in for a service only last week, the quoted service interval is 12 months or 12500 miles.

The oil change due interval was set for 7500 miles, naughty eh?

It now reads 12250 miles :D

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

1 minute ago, Mr Plodd said:

I tried SAGA last night, they wanted fractionally more than double my renewal quote from LV :o 

No rhyme nor reason to it is there?

Up until around 3 years ago, Saga, (for us), were always amongst the dearest insurance company. Then, for some reason, it suddenly became one of the cheapest. I had just turned 69 years old and my wife was 66. No other changes, same cars, same mileage and no accidents. As you say Andy, no rhyme or reason.

ps, LV were the company that SAGA price matched.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

The chap from SAGA admitted that there was no way on earth he would be able to get anywhere near my renewal from LV.  

My car is a 4 year old, top of the range 165bhp Mazda 6 diesel, auto estate with all the toys, I am 66, Mrs P is 65, no accidents claims or convictions and we live in a low crime area 11k miles per annum.

For comparison purposes my renewal  cost with LV is £229 

Edited by Mr Plodd

40 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

The chap from SAGA admitted that there was no way on earth he would be able to get anywhere near my renewal from LV.  

My car is a 4 year old, top of the range 165bhp Mazda 6 diesel, auto estate with all the toys, I am 66, Mrs P is 65, no accidents claims or convictions and we live in a low crime area 11k miles per annum.

For comparison purposes my renewal  cost with LV is £229 

Here's my Saga quote. I'm with Direct Line for 2 of the monthly payments plus £6

Untitled.thumb.png.219adca80d23feaf8fb54df65aa51a47.png

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Whaaaaat??  

It makes the quote they gave me (£560) look positively reasonable! 

I wonder just how they come up with these outrageous sums when others can do it for so much less??

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

The oil change due interval was set for 7500 miles, naughty eh?

Not necessarily so - maybe your dealer was looking after your interests.   Personally, I wouldn't want my modern diesel engine with its sophisticated particle filter running on oil that had done much more than 6000 or had been in the sump for more than 18 months.        For a life-time I've always looked after my own vehicles, changing the oil every year irrespective of mileage.   In fact, I still do with three of the older family cars.   Fortunately my MOT station offer a lube service where they change only the oil & filter.   As the two modern vehicles have large under-trays to remove before the sump screw can be reached, with both, I get the lube service done  with the MOT.   Being in attendance, I see the oil quality, and I see the draining.      My towcar is booked for mid-March - it will have covered 3000 miles since the last oil change.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Just now, Mr Plodd said:

Whaaaaat??  

It makes the quote they gave me (£560) look positively reasonable! 

I wonder just how they come up with these outrageous sums when others can do it for so much less??

That was cheaper than the year before quote from them. 
I forgot to save a copy of it. Was something like £3,200

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

As regard oil changes:

1/2 a century ago (when I was a young whiper-snapper LOL) an old mechanic at my local garage said to me: " the cheapest thing you'll ever do to your car, with the most benefit, is to change the oil often". T o this day I change the oil at 5000m max (or once a year) & now use Asda full synthetic.

I must be doing something right as my cars have all exceeded 100,000m (my 1973 Viva did 161,000m over 27 years). They usually died from the dreaded rust worm at 13+ years.

I'm especially keen on changing my daughter's L200 oil at 6 months to aliviate the diesel polution in the sump (how I hate PDFs).

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

16 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Ring them up and tell them you have had a better quote and they need to match, or better, it. There is always some movement possible. 

I used to do that and nearly always got it down but nowadays I don't bother. Just go on one of the comparison sites where LV are always among the cheapest and just accept the quote. Saves a lengthy phone call. I adopted this approach in the year when they refused to move on my wife's quote even when I pointed out that the comparison site was cheaper. So go with that, they said!

I should perhaps mention that even with the increase, my renewal quote for my 2017 190BHP diesel was only £247.35

John M

Edited by millerhouse12
addition

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

The moral to the above posts; always shop round for insurance-ring Direct Line Aiva etc who don't participate in the comparison sites but always get a quick quote from 2 comparison sites too-ins companies own them of course so they do vary-keep them honest! And clearly most of the time with some exceptions loyalty doesn't pay. Adding someone to ins may alter the price, mileage often does too. We have 3 cars and none cost more than 250-all fully comp and all protected no claims.  Mini Roadster S 184 bhp is £180 our Mini EV £210 and our Navara £250. The caravan in contrast, over £300! 

I'm with Andy etc for service-change that oil regardless-our truck is supposed to be 12500 miles but due to some short journeys-it'll be around the 10500 mark- the computer has worked out it needs to be earlier but i did the oil myself at 5500 miles-so not panicking but it is booked in. 

Edited by Jezzerb

I stick to what the service due warning light tells me and that is between every 13,000 to 18,000 miles, depending on driving conditions. The car, a diesel, is now just over 5 years old. I've done 84,000 miles in it and it's still running as sweetly as when I took delivery of it.

Whatever mileage the car has done it needs continuing maintaining. The service is designed to check as well as change the oil and is a basic safety function. Ours will have done under 3,000 miles by the time it needs servicing but it will still be done. I prefer to be safe rather than trying to save money on this.

Those with silly low mileages are by no means alone. The garage I bought from did ring me last week to see if they could tempt me to a new car. I did say it had done not a lot over 2,000 miles since then and that meant we would be keeping it. The salesman replied to the effect that this was what a lot of people were saying. Possibly some very good deals out there though if you want to replace the car.

Hyundai are offering £3000 off( more is possible) but our Santa Fe is 4 years old and has under 30,000 miles, a new one would still be over £35000. We could afford it but I don't see the point.

Lockdown has really lowered our mileage, we got an ex demo Mini Cooper in Oct 19, which was 6 months old with under 3000 miles. It's  still under 6500! It had its first service in January which is 2 years or 20000 miles! 

No service would mean no warranty.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

I decided a few years ago that buying a new car made no sense at all.

My last three have all been exactly three years old when I purchased them (same make same model).

They all came with 12 months manufacturers warranty. In each case I paid just 50% of what an identical new one would have been. Of course whoever traded them in got a fair bit less than what I paid for them as well! 

On 16/02/2021 at 15:15, Pheasant said:

I made my living from servicing small power engines,  IE, lawnmowers , up to about twenty horsepower,I always stipulated the importance of regular oil changes when I sold them, but it always astonished me when often I would get one in to service and the customer said it hadn’t been changed in years! Some claiming to be up to twenty years old! and still running good as new.

I had a Honda lawnmower for 25 years.  Totally abused and ignored it,  but it did the job of cutting the grass until 

I sold it on for £25.  Still started first pull every time  :-)

Mrs F had her Hyundai i10 insured through M&S. I called them last summer to reduce the stated 

mileage by 1/3 they said it would cost 25p more !!!!!!!!  Needless to say I didn't change it.

Changed to RAC at  January renewal through Go Compare via Topcashback.

Fully Comp £139  plus getting £30 Topcashback again this year AND free Go Compare £250 excess,

which will cover the voluntary excess of £150 and set xs of £100. 

Insurance includes legal cover, NCD protection and hire car ( not just courtesy car ).

It seems to be getting cheaper every year !  Can't complain, they'll be paying her soon :-)

Oh BTW I paid with Barclaycard so get a 1/2 per cent cash back too !! (  69p )

On 16/02/2021 at 15:15, Pheasant said:

A lawnmower engine is hardly subjected to same levels of stress that a modern car engine is. In addition I expect that a car engine runs fir more hours in a week that most domestic lawnmowers do in their entire lifetime. 

On 15/02/2021 at 15:20, hp100425ev said:

Just booked car in for service and MOT.

Only done 862 miles since last year.

I fear there will be many in your position this year. As I posted elsewhere a while back, our MH has travelled a total of 53 miles in the past year, and that was to take it for an MOT and service last year. It has not moved since, and probably won't before the next MOT is due!

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.