How the Media Mislead and Misinform the Public

This article from the Guardian states two-thirds of Britons do not want rich countries to have vaccine priority, that seems a lot of people yet when you read the article it doesn't tell you how many people were interviewed.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/two-thirds-britons-not-want-084036905.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb&tsrc=fb

It's only when you go the Polling company website does it tell you:-

"They interviewed "2,119 UK adults aged 18+ online from 5-7 February 2021. Data was weighted to be representative of population by age, gender, region, and socio-economic characteristics such as social grade"

By my reckoning that's something like 0.003% of the adult population so hardly 2/3rd of Britons, actually 2/3rd of those interviewed, and why did they need to weight it at all.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I for one am of the opinion that the BBC is biased towards the left.    Just look at programmes such as Have I Got News For You, and Mock The Week, almost without fail they are populate

It is a JOKE but....?    A little girl was leaning into a lion's cage. Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the collar of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her, all under the e

Strange isn't it, that when the Tories are in power, they say the BBC is biased against them. But when Labour is in power, they say the BBC has a right wing bias against them!!

Posted Images

There are three types of lies:-

Lies,

Damned lies,

Statistics.

It is also vital to know the full context of the question, for instance we do not know  whether the rest of the survey lead those being interviewed to count the UK as a "rich country"!

Stick to one source for news, in my case the BBC, but take it all with a pinch of salt any way.

Having worked in the press I have seen at first hand how stories are manipulated/manufactured to get readers/viewers/clicks.

And if a story starts "Research shows...." don't even bother going any further because it will be all (bad language removed) or stating the bleeding obvious in order to justify some 'analysts' existence.

Unfortunately there are too many morons out there who can't think for themselves.

Remember:

Swearing includes direct swear words, abbreviated swear words, net-speak swearing, and disguised words where symbols or other characters are used to circumvent our automatic word filters.

Link

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

Never let the truth get in the way of a story!

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

I wonder how many of the sample are elderly, vulnerable or have existing medical conditions. There's 25 million of us in these categories who are dying to have the jab (literally) . We need to look after our own first before doing our best for everyone else. There has to be an advantage to being a developed country.

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

Lies,

Damned lies,

Statistics.

It is also vital to know the full context of the question, for instance we do not know  whether the rest of the survey lead those being interviewed to count the UK as a "rich country"!

The first rule of journalism..

"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

It's not just this story !..

It appears the press and media dictate what the government should do ?...( By saying pubs will open at Easter etc for example ?)

It's so easy for the media to say "a leaked government document says " blah blah blah " 

How can it be proved ...Or even disproved ?.....

All they will say is " we cannot disclose our information source "

Worst thing is ..The media are never held responsible and are rarely taken to task on anything they say or report !

It is a JOKE but....?

A little girl was leaning into a lion's cage. Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the collar of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her, all under the eyes of her screaming parents:

A biker jumps off his Harley, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch.

Whimpering from the pain, the lion jumps back, letting go of the girl, and the biker brings the girl to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly.

A BBC reporter, Laura Kuenssberg, had watched the whole event.

Laura, addressing the Harley rider says. "Sir, this was the most gallant and bravest thing I've seen a man do in my whole life.”

The Harley rider replies. "Why, it was nothing, really. The lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger, and acted as I felt right.”

Miss Kuenssberg. "Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a BBC journalist, you know and tomorrow's news will run this story. So, what do you do for a living, and what political affiliation do you have?”

The biker replies. "I'm a British Army veteran, a Conservative and I voted for Brexit.”

The journalist leaves.

The following morning the biker turns on BBC News to see if it indeed brings news of his actions.

BBC Headline: RIGHT WING UK VETERAN ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH.

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.       I'm not paranoid, they ARE out to get me.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

And talking of the BBC -    On the morning of 11th January, I switched on the 7am news and was amazed to see a reporter and camera team standing outside the grandstand at Epsom Racecourse rabbiting on about how, in just a few minutes time, " this new vaccination centre would be opening their doors to start giving the first Covid jabs to the local population."  By the time the mid-day news came on, the camera team were inside the centre, interviewing nurses and even talking to an 80-year old lady who "was the first person to receive the vaccine at the centre."  

And what was wrong with this load of rubbish!   It wasn't the opening day on the 11th of January.    For the sake of the story, they just said it was.      In fact - in the same centre, I had my first vaccination of the 17th December and the second one on the 7th Jan.  

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Comes back to old adage

C5CDA822-5D9C-4FFF-9E3B-392274D8BDA5.jpeg.a825c146fb37ac9dd2f5e0e8ce036173.jpeg

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

When I was on a first aid course we were told the first thing to do is to make sure you do not put yourself in danger before helping anyone. You may be that persons chance of being saved but not if you also become a casualty. Applying this policy to the vaccine roll out we should do our country so we are then in a good position to be able to help others. The UK vaccine roll out is going really well, over 90% of those offered it have had one, if these people had wanted poorer countries to have it then that number would be a lot less, 15 million people is a lot more than in any poll.

The speculation about the lockdown easing is being prompted by the group of nutters in the Tory party calling themselves the Covid Recovery Group and the right wing press. On the lunchtime news the BBC were at great pains to say that Boris had adopted a cautious tone and that no cabinet minister had backed the proposal to lift all restrictions by May. You have to realise that many Tories have interests in brewing and distilling so ever likely they want the pubs open by Easter. 

It is easy to knock BBC news, but that is largely to do with them being such a big target!

It is hard to identify any news source that is actually better, without letting your own biases rule your head.

Re the OP.

ALL polls work on the same basis. How else can they without EVERY person being asked their opinion?

Yes, I agree the BBC (who are legally obliged by their charter to report without bias) is dreadful, not like Sky News and Fox News those famously independent and truthful reporters who have no charter to follow other than to line the pockets of the proprietor.

I remember many years ago, the Daily Mail reporting, the football pools were still in operation, how a "£15/week dustman" had won £150,000 on the pools.

Shortly after, a group of dustmen were in industrial dispute for a pay rise. Suddenly, these dustmen (who would have also been on similar wages) were on £250/week!

Edited by daveat92

Well I for one am of the opinion that the BBC is biased towards the left. 

Just look at programmes such as Have I Got News For You, and Mock The Week, almost without fail they are populated by people with very obvious left wing views and use their appearance to criticise and snipe at the Govt at every opportunity. 

Then when you look at the news they (The BBC) we’re constantly sniping at the Govt and ministers for “not doing enough” but, once the vaccination roll out got into full swing, they have just gone quiet!  The only thing they keep banging on about now is a “Roadmap” out of lockdown. They seem incapable of grasping the fact that nobody knows what the infection and hospitalisation figures are going to be in the next few weeks, so we will all have to wait and see.

If they come down  enough then restrictions will be eased but continually asking “When can we go abroad/on holiday” is totally pointless, especially as that is dependant on other countries (over which we have no influence) being prepared to admit U.K. citizens. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

on the BBC web page  today, one if the headlines is about  millions of asthmatics must wait for vaccine.

Last March , on the first lock down , asthmatics were told via the media to isolate . A couple of months later it was said that if the asthma was well controlled  we had the same chance as any one else However.  if you had hospital treatment or steroid tablets  then that will put you in the vulnerable group.  

The story is correct , but it was news  last May or June

2 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Well I for one am of the opinion that the BBC is biased towards the left. 

Then when you look at the news they (The BBC) we’re constantly sniping at the Govt and ministers for “not doing enough” but, once the vaccination roll out got into full swing, they have just gone quiet!  The only thing they keep banging on about now is a “Roadmap” out of lockdown. They seem incapable of grasping the fact that nobody knows what the infection and hospitalisation figures are going to be in the next few weeks, so we will all have to wait and see.

I have acquaintances of a left wing persuasion who are of the opposite opinion!

As to a roadmap, I believe it to be indefensible not to have one, but it should be based on infection rates, not dates. e.g. to re-open schools two weeks after the infection rate drops to xx provided it does not go back up.

15 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

Re the OP.

ALL polls work on the same basis. How else can they without EVERY person being asked their opinion?

They can give you the facts, how about saying "out of a poll of 2119 people over 2/3rds said..........."  not two thirds of Britons, which is an out and out lie.

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

5 minutes ago, Stevan said:

As to a roadmap, I believe it to be indefensible not to have one, but it should be based on infection rates, not dates. e.g. to re-open schools two weeks after the infection rate drops to xx provided it does not go back up.

Just maybe that’s the sort of announcement that will be made next week.

Remember this is a situation that has never arisen in modern times so everyone across the world is basically guessing as to what is the best course of action to take.

What happens if restrictions are eased too soon, and we end up having to endure yet another lockdown??  The “media” will be like a pack of rabid dogs despite them continually calling for “more clarity/“ and a “roadmap” along with “more information” 

8 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

They can give you the facts, how about saying "out of a poll of 2119 people over 2/3rds said..........."  not two thirds of Britons, which is an out and out lie.

It is possible to realistically extrapolate from a sample, but it requires both a transparent and fair sampling exercise and a sample of far more than 2119.

13 minutes ago, Stevan said:

It is possible to realistically extrapolate from a sample, but it requires both a transparent and fair sampling exercise and a sample of far more than 2119.

You are right but not when it actually represents 0.003% of the adult population, that is no more than a very poor stab in the dark.

Strange isn't it, that when the Tories are in power, they say the BBC is biased against them.

But when Labour is in power, they say the BBC has a right wing bias against them!!

But I am neither the Tory or Labour Party,  just “Joe Public” voicing his view of the BBC. Odd that the incoming DG (or is it Chairman) has vowed to battle bias within the Beeb!

4 hours ago, Stevan said:

Lies,

Damned lies,

Statistics

Not quite, there are four:

3 as above &:

4, virtually any thing reported in the media when they are short of a story.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

10 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

But I am neither the Tory or Labour Party,  just “Joe Public” voicing his view of the BBC. Odd that the incoming DG (or is it Chairman) has vowed to battle bias within the Beeb!

The incoming DG who has vowed to battle bias within the BBC is chosen by.....the Tory Government!, strange that isn't it?:lol:

27 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Really?!?

The recently appointed Chairman of the BBC has donated more than £400,000 to the Conservative Party since 2001, Electoral Commission records show.