Hobby 700 series - anyone got one as a tourer?

Evening all, 

We are looking at two models from Hobby, both 7xx series. The body length is just shy of eight metres and the total length including the A frame is nine metres. As a result of the body length being over seven metres, we are aware that we must tow with a vehicle over 3500kg, which is fine as we have a van that fits the bill, but, ideally, if we buy the Hobby, we would like to tow with something slightly less commercial. 

Does anyone have a Hobby with the extra long body length and if so what are you towing with.  

Link to regulations regarding towing when the body length (not the total length including the A frame) is here on the GOV website. 

Cheers

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I previously towed a long Hobby van for over 10 years here in the UK and every Summer over to France and Spain with a range of vehicles, mainly Toyota Landcruisers, the 120 and Amazon being the main ones, never had a problem with towing or access to sites.  Now down sized as the kids no longer come otherwise would still have the long one. Also have a couple of friends who tow a 700 and a 650 with Range Rovers.

Edited by Nick J

Volvo XC60 & Hobby Premium 540efu

Kontiki

I would just point out that it’s the plated  weight of the towing vehicle on its own that must be more than 3500kg, it’s not the train weight. 

Apologies if you are aware of that. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Kontiki

I would just point out that it’s the plated  weight of the towing vehicle on its own that must be more than 3500kg, it’s not the train weight. 

Apologies if you are aware of that. 

Yes I am aware, thankyou

I'm looking at a Fiat Ducato van that's 3800kg. We would convert that intonation camper

As far as I'm.aware, theres nothing less commercial that can do the job 

Russ  

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

32 minutes ago, KontikiKid said:

Yes I am aware, thankyou

Thought that might be the case, I for one would be very interested if you could find the time to post updates (with pictures) as to how your project progresses. It’s something I would love to do but I simply don’t have the space. 

.I recall a few years ago chatting to a guy on a campsite in France, he was very proud of his home done Sprinter conversion. He showed me the inside, he had used B&Q type kitchen cabinets throughout along with thick kitchen work tops. I dread to think what the vehicles weight must have been ;)

15 yrs ago I bought a LWB Sprinter and an Elddis Wisp with the intention of removing the caravan chassis and then mounting it on the Sprinter chassis. Then cutting through the back of the Wisp to open it to the Sprinter cab. 

In the end I sold the Sprinter and towed the Wisp!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

10 minutes ago, WispMan said:

15 yrs ago I bought a LWB Sprinter and an Elddis Wisp

Any influence on your choice of Forum name??

39 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Thought that might be the case, I for one would be very interested if you could find the time to post updates (with pictures) as to how your project progresses. It’s something I would love to do but I simply don’t have the space. 

.I recall a few years ago chatting to a guy on a campsite in France, he was very proud of his home done Sprinter conversion. He showed me the inside, he had used B&Q type kitchen cabinets throughout along with thick kitchen work tops. I dread to think what the vehicles weight must have been ;)

Number one son is currently converting a VW LT 35, same as a sprinter, but going the lightweight route by building most of the cupboards etc from scratch caravan style, there are also quite a number of  daaaaaddddd can you just, phone calls though, 🙄.

When it's finished or possibly before, if I get time I'll start a thread on it instead of hijacking one such as I have just done. 😲😉

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

I think we have all experienced the “Daaaaaaad please can you/how do I” type phone calls at some time !   I certainly have. As I say to my son. 

“Experience is what you acquire after you have an urgent need for it” 

There are US pickups with gross weights over 3500kg if you want to go down that route, otherwise you are dependent of the vans with gross weights over 3500kg. Most van makers have an option over 3500kg, Renault I think go as high as 6t, but remember to make sure you have the correct category on your license. C1E is the one you need I think. 

I know the new GMC Yukon has kerb weights ranging to 2800kg, I guess that must have a GVWR over 3500kg but no certain. 

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

7 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Hi

We have converted three VW Transporters, a Vivaro and part modified the infamous coach! 

DSCN5771.jpg