New caravan choice

Hi All 

Last year we unexpectedly got into caravanning from camping . A friend of a friend offered us a 2002 Avondale for less than the value of our tent . Have us a chance to try it without huge punt.

We loved it ,going to sleep in the warm in a proper bed transformed our holiday.

So now it's time to spend some money .for hopefully this season. 

We realised the big issue we had was setting up the kids beds each night. So really want something with end dinette fixed bunk arrangement. My 11 year old is already 5feet so need full sized beds 

Thought some of you might point me in the right direction 4-6 berth end bunks or beds 

Thanks John

Bedrooms in awnings are great for kids, but some sites seem to frown on them.

Without knowing what the tow car is able to manage it is difficult to give examples but most makers have something suitable. If you go beyond four berths you will mainly find they are entry level or mid market models, but if you have the tow car to do the job then there are some more upmarket ones out there in low numbers.

Can you let us know what you are towing with, its kerb weight and towing capacity and some idea of the budget. 

If you have B+E on your licence then you can tow most things but if you only have B then you will be very limited as the total of the Gross vehicle weight and the maximum weight (MTPLM) cannot exceed 3,500 kg which would be very limiting and might require you to take he additional test to get the B+E authorisation. 

Yes to help you, we need to know your current towcar, what Avondale you are currently towing and if you passed your test before 1997 - and to a degree, your budget

Hi all 

Thanks for input , iam currently have a BMW 335 gt . However iam changing this to a ford ranger , to use for work . I believe these have huge towing capability .

Hi 

I have B and E on my license .

Budget is as close to 10 k as possible but realise this doesnt get much in caravan world . Can go higher for the right one . But no brand new 25 k jobbies.

I here hobby is the best? Or coachman.

Any thoughts greatly received

We'll all recommend our own...! Have a look at the Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar or 542 DK Severn. Both have adult size bunk beds and a decent amount of space. Both would be easily pulled by your 335 GT. Adria have a good reputation for build quality also... May come in at slightly over the £10k budget but they're nice vans. We went for the 552 Tamar for the slightly larger washroom and separate shower. 

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

Used caravan prices are sky high at the moment and numbers available are low. If the Avondale is sound and works for you it might be a better short term bet if you can get it. It will give you time to  look round and see what is available. There is nothing wrong with the Adrias suggested but they are pretty rare beasts and there are plenty of alternatives. Not sure what the towing capacity of the Ford is but I think it will tow almost anything you find. 

Hobby are a German brand and have a good reputation, but are very few and far between. Do beware though of the twin axle models as they have a high theft rate and some will be too long to be towed by your vehicle. Hobby do not make caravans for the UK market but simply import the German models, you take them as you find them so make sure you are happy with what you find.

Coachman consistently top the surveys as the best  of the British built models and are generally a good buy.

All makes use the same limited selection of internal components so with them it is more a case of what level you want.

Regardless of make, all caravans can (and a lot do) suffer water ingress which causes damp and rot within the wooden framework, damp can be difficult to spot, and very expensive to repair.

If buying privately insist on getting your own damp check carried out by an AWS engineer as a condition of purchase. It will cost you a few quid, but could save an awful lot of quids! Don’t underestimate how serious an issue damp can be. 

If buying from a dealer you will get a period of warranty

Please don’t think I am trying to scare you, far from it, but I am trying to make sure you don’t end up buying a “money pit”

Finally   “Be ruled by your head, not your heart”

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

£10,000 you are probably looking at a caravan at least 6 or 7 yrs old, so lots of issues to watch out for.

Before Swift Talk closed, I remember someone asking for help, AFTER they had bought their first caravan, for slightly more money. Bought it private from a really nice family in a posh detached house and caravan had recently been serviced if I remember correctly, but had damp. They believed everything they were told and didn't have it checked. Damp report was missing from recent service documents!

We are very experienced motorhomers and are now looking (third time) at a first attempt at caravanning. Weve used them in the past borrowing from who ever would lend us one, plus an old one we had given.

After looking at many, we will only consider Hobby. As mentioned, if body length is over 7metres  it can only be towed by a vehicle weighing over 3500kg. That's the body length, not the length including A frame.

The spec of the Hobby, the sheer solidness of it and a more than generous payload have steered us. We may import  one from Germany which is very easy compared to importing a motorhome 

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Hi Clarko , as viewing in the flesh is not possible I would take a look at

caravan finder.co.uk

Re Hobby vans-if it was just my choice we would still have one however, my wife hated the stippled exterior so, after 7 fault free years, changed back to British van.
Bought ours back in 2004,  got an exchange rate of €1.7 to the pound and of course still inEU so no issues ‘importing’.

Look on Caravanfinder website.  You can input the requirements you want in a caravan, then press the send button, and it will come up with dealerships all over the country with the type of caravan you are looking for.  Its a bit like Yellow Pages, let your finger do the walking:lol: