Driving lights.

Tuningdrew

I had these Warn twin beam roof lights fitted to my last Disco by a LandRover main dealer.  They were activated through a separate switch and when on, were then functional via the normal dip / headlight flash switch.  They had been set with a Lucas beam setter so that they were lined up with the main headlights.

I only ever tended to use them off-road - but when they were on it was if it had suddenly become daylight!  Just what the OP is looking for, I would suggest!!

IMG_1799.JPG

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

3 hours ago, richardandros said:

I had these Warn twin beam roof lights fitted to my last Disco by a LandRover main dealer.  They were activated through a separate switch and when on, were then functional via the normal dip / headlight flash switch.  They had been set with a Lucas beam setter so that they were lined up with the main headlights.

I only ever tended to use them off-road - but when they were on it was if it had suddenly become daylight!  Just what the OP is looking for, I would suggest!!

IMG_1799.JPG

Unfortunately whilst the light output would be great aesthetically it's a non starter!

20210211_150952.jpg

5 hours ago, Lutz said:

I offer my humble apologies to all for persisting in giving wrong information which was based on a friend's experience that I didn't take the time to verify. (It turned out that in his case he had 4 additional lamps and that would be illegal). I have just had a close look at the respective regulation (ECE R48) and under paragraph 6.1.7. it states the following:

The high beam headlamps may only be switched on either at the same time or in pairs. If two additional high beam headlamps are installed, then no more than two pairs may be lit at the same time. During the transition from low beam to high beam, at least 1 pair needs to be switched on for high beam. During the low beam function, all high beam lamps need to switch off at the same time.

It takes a lot to publicly admit an error. I salute you for doing so! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

1 hour ago, AndyPoole said:

I would look at a LED Light Bar

image.png.d5a31cbc13a76a5f9051fe64752513e3.png

Do be careful. Additional lights fitted at 450mm or lower can only be used in fog or falling snow. 

There is a police protection RR dog van around here and it has such a bar near the top of the grille and another on the roof. Wouldn't like to be in front of them when they're lit!!

Tomorrow I am having an 32" LED 180W light bar fitted behind my grill on my car. Whilst I will lose some light due to the grill I have seen others that have had it done and what a difference it makes. The light bar is curved with two different styles of light - flood on the edges to light up the sides and centre pinpoint to light up the road/track ahead. Could this be an option for you?

38 minutes ago, madasmad said:

Tomorrow I am having an 32" LED 180W light bar fitted behind my grill on my car. Whilst I will lose some light due to the grill I have seen others that have had it done and what a difference it makes. The light bar is curved with two different styles of light - flood on the edges to light up the sides and centre pinpoint to light up the road/track ahead. Could this be an option for you?

Very much so. There looks to be a suitable area below the front number plate.  As long as they're wired in to only operate on main beam they wont fall into the fog light trap. 

Thank you.

43 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Do be careful. Additional lights fitted at 450mm or lower can only be used in fog or falling snow. 

As I said in one of my earlier posts!  - and rightly so I think.

Vin Blanc

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

41 minutes ago, Vin Blanc said:

As I said in one of my earlier posts!  - and rightly so I think.

Vin Blanc

ONLY if illuminated with dip beam, if they are wired into main beam there is no minimum height. 

Just now, Mr Plodd said:

ONLY if illuminated with dip beam, if they are wired into main beam there is no minimum height. 

Spot on Andy.

Just a little more information regarding the fitment of driving lights:

grafik.png.deb56576866f1d659ef6a9ddd5c4c6d7.png

There are few mentions on here of fitting HID units. You should be aware that the DfT regard the aftermarket sale and use of HIDs as a replacement for Halogen etc as illegal. As such they wont pass an MOT.

They may be E marked but this is only related to the light emission not the installation.

You can in certain circumstances make them legal but that would involve ensuring compliance with the various ece regs applicable and that generally means reflector and lens changes.

Just now, Towtug said:

There are few mentions on here of fitting HID units. You should be aware that the DfT regard the aftermarket sale and use of HIDs as a replacement for Halogen etc as illegal. As such they wont pass an MOT.

They may be E marked but this is only related to the light emission not the installation.

You can in certain circumstances make them legal but that would involve ensuring compliance with the various ece regs applicable and that generally means reflector and lens changes.

And the most difficult one being that HID lights require an automatic headlamp self levelling system, which is why you see HID headlamp beams moving up and down slightly when initially switched on. They also require a headlamp washing system. Thats possibly why manufacturers have switched over the LED headlights. No self levelling or headlamp washing infrastructure required, less cost, less to go wrong under warranty? 

Osram are offering an LED conversion kit called the Night Breaker, which, up to now, is only legal in Germany because E approval is still pending and only for the following vehicles:

Alfa Romeo Guilietta

Audi A3

BMW 2 Series Tourer

Ford Galaxy, Mondeo Mk5, S Max

Opel/Vauxhall Astra

Peugeot 308

Skoda Octavia

VW Passat, Polo

The reason why the list is limited is because not only the LED bulb, but also the whole lamp assembly must also be type approved in conjunction with the LED system, too.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

On 10/02/2021 at 17:46, Mr Plodd said:

If you think HID are good just wait till you drive behind adaptive LED’s. I would say the step up from HID is equivalent to that from  halogen to HID :D They are truly amazing. 

I've had adaptive LED from the VAG stable but actually find high beam on our Yeti with Adaptive Bi Xenon AFS2 to have more range but the facelift Yeti has 4 high beam units, not just the usual 2 .

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Back in my rally days, I fitted a “Lucas” (I think) roof mounted spotlight to my (then) Mini Cooper “S”.

It could be controlled and aimed by a handle through the roof located between the heads of the driver and co-driver.

Through the forests at night, the co-driver could aim the lamp's beam around the bends in the track thus allowing the driver to take the corners at greater speed.

The main disadvantage of the lamp was, that when in use, it also illuminated the top of the front spot lamps and the bonnet of the car which, (although painted matt black), I found to be distracting and effected my concentration at speed.

Based on those memories and experience, there is no way I would ever fit a car (with front engine and bonnet) with overhead road lights of any description.

Strange how driving the same car in daylight had no effect whatsoever!

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

On 12/02/2021 at 11:18, madasmad said:

Do you have an update??

17 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

Do you have an update??

BBC25815-4DED-49A0-B9F7-64743AC55E06_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ae303c8ebf20df2fe47159a8209e58c7.jpeg31B33232-32D7-4CE5-BF43-4D042B955844_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e70e2239a72fdfc463cd124909323291.jpegF40D3240-F356-4C9B-A845-F17687F6CAFA_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1f645e5ca275ed512b5740fa6a4563ff.jpeg

What’s it like in the dark??

To :blink: I meant what’s the light output in the dark, does it live up to your expectations etc  :rolleyes:

To the OP.

A much cheaper, and safer way is to slow down.

Driving at a speed such that you cannot stop within the distance you can see to be clear is not a good idea.

Edited by daveat92

2 hours ago, daveat92 said:

To the OP.

A much cheaper, and safer way is to slow down.

Driving at a speed such that you cannot stop within the distance you can see to be clear is not a good idea.

I'd just like to be able to see a bit clearer  and further. I was never in any danger of a  collision but I would have seen the animals sooner. There's a definite dark area  in the middle of the high beam pattern I'd like to address.

21 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

What’s it like in the dark??

It really fills in the missing spots from the standard headlights especially the actual road surface and the verges. Yes I am really pleased with the outcome and they don't ruin the appearance of the car.