Caravan security - can it be improved?

Message added by CT Advertising,

Tracker logo 200px.pngThe Battery Powered Retrieve has its own power source and does not need to be wired into the vehicle's electrical system. Our VHF technology helps to overcome GPS/GSM signal jamming. Find out more

1 minute ago, Mr Plodd said:

There’s a guy around here who installs artificial grass. He has a Smart car that’s covered in the stuff! 

Looks really cool! 

Now that is the ultimate camouflage for a caravan on a CL field and going green is all the rage nowadays.

How would one mow the sides though. :D

No-one is going to pinch a van with grass all over it, however,  wonder if doing that might cause some difficulty in selling the van.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s the inconvenience factor when one gets stolen. At the minute it’s made worse by a lack of (secondhand) replacements and long waiting times for new ones. Personally I would sooner protect and hang

Your van is surely safer on the drive where potential thieves can be seen than in storage. All you can do is fit as many security devices as you can the slow them down.

No matter how expensive, complex or comprehensive a security system you can come up with, someone will equally come up with a way of overcoming it no matter what it takes - the Great Train Robbery, th

Posted Images

According to the C&CC statistics from insurance claims the safest place to store the caravan is a CASSOA site.  The idea that your drive is overlooked does not seem to work, as the thieves have the area scouted this out before the theft and come ready prepared in the dead of night. They seem to be able to remove many deterrents silently, although the AL-KO wheel lock needs cutting gear which might make it very difficult. 

Home made devices which they cannot see can be a problem for them as this can hold them up but nothing is guaranteed. The best one for most is to remove the soft furnishings and leave the curtains open as without these the caravan is useless to them. This does assume that they notice when it is dark.

12 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

There’s a guy around here who installs artificial grass. He has a Smart car that’s covered in the stuff! 

Looks really cool! 

Is he a bookie?

2 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

According to the C&CC statistics from insurance claims the safest place to store the caravan is a CASSOA site. 

I am surprised! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

57 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Looks really cool! 

A Smart car covered in artificial grass?!

Wouldn't want to be mown down by that, or even just clipped for that matter.......:D

Edit: And guess who didn't notice that there were already similar replies. Should read more thoroughly next time.

I recon the best car to be covered in grass would be a Ford Ranger, then it could be called a .....

44 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I am surprised! 

With regard to secure storage at a CASSOA site, I suspect that for every one of us who goes the extra mile to make our 'van secure at home (or similar) there will be many who don't bother.

So in the case of a secure site, the site will determine the minimum level of security.

At home, it's up to the owner and I have seen 'vans stored on drives which just scream "easy pickings here".

Edited by Ukzero

One extra bit of security I have (above hitch lock,  AKO wheel locks and alarm) is an outside security camera on the house that covers the drive which is triggered by movement. Not only would this record any unwanted activity but when a recording is triggered it sends an email notification to my phone which gives an audible signal on receipt. So even in the middle of the night I would be alerted to anyone tampering with my van long before they would have time to overcome the security and make off with it.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco