Caravan security - can it be improved?

Message added by CT Advertising,

Tracker logo 200px.pngThe Battery Powered Retrieve has its own power source and does not need to be wired into the vehicle's electrical system. Our VHF technology helps to overcome GPS/GSM signal jamming. Find out more

Ignoring the reliability side for a minute, if some sort of hub dead-lock could be intelligent and only deactivated by use of key-fob (in a similar way to a car being immobilized only by the correct key fob) it would increase the security no end.  However, with the somewhat random/haphazard QA levels of some caravan builds it's reliability in use would perhaps be a cause for concern.............

1 minute ago, PaulHo said:

GaryB - you have just described the Full Stop Excalibur lock which we have. Its acceptable to Supersure insurance which we have.

That doesn't actually attached to the chassis mounted AL-KO lock receiver though, does it?

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s the inconvenience factor when one gets stolen. At the minute it’s made worse by a lack of (secondhand) replacements and long waiting times for new ones. Personally I would sooner protect and hang

Your van is surely safer on the drive where potential thieves can be seen than in storage. All you can do is fit as many security devices as you can the slow them down.

No matter how expensive, complex or comprehensive a security system you can come up with, someone will equally come up with a way of overcoming it no matter what it takes - the Great Train Robbery, th

Posted Images

Yes it does. It also comes with an arm which could be used on site if you find you haven't stopped lined up with the receiver. Its a bit flimsy and is not acceptable to the insurance. On one C&CC Temporary Holiday site we use we dig a hole for the off side wheel to get level. May have to resort to using the arm if we don't stop lined up with the receiver. We always replace the clod when we leave.

2 minutes ago, PaulHo said:

Yes it does. It also comes with an arm which could be used on site if you find you haven't stopped lined up with the receiver. Its a bit flimsy and is not acceptable to the insurance. On one C&CC Temporary Holiday site we use we dig a hole for the off side wheel to get level. May have to resort to using the arm if we don't stop lined up with the receiver. We always replace the clod when we leave.

That's really interesting, thanks.  I didn't realise it could also be used with the AL-KO receiver on the chassis, I'll be ordering one!

18 hours ago, BOAC said:

Has anyone any ideas of their own on improvement over the present security devices that might prevent a caravan from being stolen?

With the brains of members on CT someone is going to come up with a winner.

you do realise that the standard  answer to this question is " if they want it they will take it" or the classic "why bother the criminal  always gets through it all"

Tried having this conversation in a different form else where.

Your best bet for improved security it to slightly personalise it. With a wheel clamp some time and a welder will improve it or add an extra padlock or chain or a bolt here or there.

A criminal is trained to use a set amount of tools to open a set target, change the rules of what he  or she needs to carry or use and its easy to defeat them

1 minute ago, hedgerowpete said:

you do realise that the standard  answer to this question is " if they want it they will take it" or the classic "why bother the criminal  always gets through it all"

Tried having this conversation in a different form else where.

Your best bet for improved security it to slightly personalise it. With a wheel clamp some time and a welder will improve it or add an extra padlock or chain or a bolt here or there.

A criminal is trained to use a set amount of tools to open a set target, change the rules of what he  or she needs to carry or use and its easy to defeat them

I think most devices are remove using an easy to carry cordless angle grinder. 

I'm not sure TBH that any other tools come into play.

6 minutes ago, thewatchmaker said:

I think most devices are remove using an easy to carry cordless angle grinder. 

I'm not sure TBH that any other tools come into play.

I would be fascinated to see you remove an AL-KO wheel lock with an angle grinder. I am sure that given enough time, and equipment, it could be done but time is one thing a thief doesn’t have a lot of. 

Thats probably the main reason that insurance companies like, and often stipulate, them. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

24 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I would be fascinated to see you remove an AL-KO wheel lock with an angle grinder. I am sure that given enough time, and equipment, it could be done but time is one thing a thief doesn’t have a lot of. 

Thats probably the main reason that insurance companies like, and often stipulate, them. 

I haven't measured but I'm sure the receiver can be chopped off behind the wheel rather than trying to cut the actual AL-KO lock off.  We're with the CMHC insurance and while they offer a discount for an AL-KO lock it isn't a mandatory requirement to have one.  Being an engineer I always look at things and ask myself how I would remove one if I lost the keys!

I also suspect that organised caravan thieves operate as a group so one (or more) individuals focus on one security item each, a bit like a Formula 1 pit stop!

Edited by GaryB1969

25 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I was careful to say most not all. 

It certainly is one of the most secure but I do know of vans that have gone missing with one fitted and I was told how it was done in one particular case. For obvious reasons I wont be divulging that on here.

As per posts above, I have had a quick look at ours (it currently has wheels on but is raised on axle stands so access is good) and I can see how the AL-KO lock could be easily butchered to remove it.

I take reasonable precautions with ours. The usual security devices, and stored in a pretty secure compound.

Other than that, nothing.  Never felt the need. I don't see caravan theft as being all that common a thing, and if it gets nicked, it's insured anyway. If it was a big deal, you can bet your life insurance premiums would be a lot higher.

I do wonder about some people and their paranoid attitude. Do they carry it through into all aspects of their lives? It must be a burden to be constantly expecting everything you own to get stolen.

On 07/02/2021 at 21:33, JCCD said:

Not for me, there's no changes of any value made to mine, it could be replaced with an identical one quite easily. I don't see my caravan as a personal thing, it's just a caravan like 1000's of others.

True for you, but I tend to improve and personalise my caravan  to make it more acceptable to me - to make it more 'homey ' if you like.

I have modified the lighting, carpets and layout. I did the same to my last caravan which my buyers liked and, I feel, swung the sale.

But getting back to security. I have been fiddling around with Gimp on the computer in which I turned my caravan from white to any colour I wanted. A dark green looks quite attractive. I wonder if painting the van a different colour would deter the ungodly?

1235144026_vinylwrap.jpg.ba7b9c84a44c8c1a391503563bf92d14.jpg

Well it would certainly make it very distinctive and, as a consequence, very unappealing to any slimy fingered little toe-rag!

I wonder if you could get a reduction in insurance premium ;)

39 minutes ago, BOAC said:

But getting back to security. I have been fiddling around with Gimp on the computer in which I turned my caravan from white to any colour I wanted. A dark green looks quite attractive. I wonder if painting the van a different colour would deter the ungodly?

1235144026_vinylwrap.jpg.ba7b9c84a44c8c1a391503563bf92d14.jpg

I've wondered something similar. If your caravan was very visually distinctive and easily identifiable it must be a deterrent to some degree. I was thinking along the lines of some bold additional vinyl wrap type additions.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I wonder if you could get a reduction in insurance premium ;)

Knowing insurance companies - not a chance - but if they had a large logo of  their company on each side of the van ........  I wonder.

Wouldn’t it be a really fun thing to do to take a photograph of your car, on a busy road, from behind, and then get the rear panel of your caravan wrapped with that picture ?? :D 

Or even better how about......

I don't reckon anyone is going to steal my van with this on the back. Mind you, it was an awful Bailey Oklahoma (To us)so regardless of whether there is a pic on the back, NO-ONE was going to steal the van. :D

gallery_39081_730_231445.jpg.a8706c75b27b722e349f40281ccb76da.jpg

This is a pic of it that I owned years ago. Maybe the same type of thing could be applied to my current van.

Edited by BOAC

Maybe something like this is the best deterrent to the ungodly.

385706543_SideviewwithpicGIMP.JPG.bde7b9a7e7bf0bc453151aef1996c7d7.JPG

It's a bit naff, but it's a start. Vinyl wrap is the way forward.

Has anyone done a vinyl wrap on their van? Any pics please.

Some months back a van was stolen with a massive sticker on the back. Owner never got it back. All it takes after being stolen is into a lock up, heat gun on it, sticker off. 

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

32 minutes ago, JanandJay said:

Some months back a van was stolen with a massive sticker on the back. Owner never got it back. All it takes after being stolen is into a lock up, heat gun on it, sticker off. 

The best laid plans of mice & men.

Paint instead of vinyl and one uniform colour?

So I didn't like the cheap looking (IMO) brown quilted graphics on our 2109 Swift Elegance.

The front locker cover has a nice carbon fibre effect, so I thought, hmmmmm.....

c10.jpg

So, the result looks much nicer (IMO) and is currently unique as far as I know.

However, with regard to security:

Bad news: Theives wouldn't notice and steal it anyway.

Good news: Theives wouldn't notice and leave the graphics in place to easily identify van if you know what to look for.

Bad news: Quite subtle, so going to be hard to spot from a distance even if you do know what to look for.

Good news: Oh, I give up :rolleyes:

Edited by Ukzero
23 hours ago, BOAC said:

I don't reckon anyone is going to steal my van with this on the back. Mind you, it was an awful Bailey Oklahoma (To us)so regardless of whether there is a pic on the back, NO-ONE was going to steal the van. :D

gallery_39081_730_231445.jpg.a8706c75b27b722e349f40281ccb76da.jpg

This is a pic of it that I owned years ago. Maybe the same type of thing could be applied to my current van.

How do you go about selling a caravan with those types of graphics? Are they easily removable?

2 minutes ago, JCCD said:

How do you go about selling a caravan with those types of graphics? Are they easily removable?

It's made of vinyl so a hairdryer to warm it, and it just peels off basically.

There’s a guy around here who installs artificial grass. He has a Smart car that’s covered in the stuff! 

Looks really cool!