14 minutes ago, 664DaveS said:

Day running lights were standard in Scandinavian countries.  Our first Saab had them. We often got flashed by other drivers. Funny how all cars have daylight running lights now!

Unlike now the rear lights came on too. They had standard sidelights for parking and brighter running lights on the front.

That 1983 Saab 99 also had headlight washers/wipers and heated front seat. It was built like a tank and towed really well.

They were really good in snow too,

First of 7 Saabs. Later 900 and 9000 turbos we owned were awesome!

Shame they went out of business, I would have another if they still made them.

You could be describing our experience with our first Volvo. The front side lights had two filament (stop/tail) lamps fitted, so with the ignition on it showed a couple of 21W white lights at the front, with side/parking lights selected this dropped to 5W lamps. Similarly to your Saab, the rear 5W side lights were illuminated all the time the engine was running.

Generally I am in favour of DRLs but not in favour of using the headlamps for this purpose, or by having excessively bright LEDs at the front, or not illuminating the rear lights at the same time. These days I frequently see cars locally at dusk driving with no rear lights, whereas before DRLs were compulsory this was the exception.

Back on topic, and I'm also all in favour of running on tyres specifically designed for winter use when in an area where they are appropriate however better training for poor weather conditions could go a long way in preventing some of the predicaments that uneducated drivers may find themselves in.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

We had just over an inch overnight which is now starting to melt. We got off lightly but there is a lot of flooding in our area.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2021 at 18:34, ericfield said:

Did my eyes deceive me or was that defender towing that lorry from a detachable towball rather than the towing eye?

Yes, not the wisest thing to do.

On 09/02/2021 at 07:29, ian16527 said:

When working in the Czech Republic a few years ago, the hire cars were all fitted with winter tyres and I think its law over there. Also they have dipped headlights on all the time I seem to remember.

It is in alot of EU countries, even Luxembourg , which you can drive across in half an hour and has no hills.

Best car I ever drove in snow was a 2CV !  Very skinny tyres and very little torque  excellent combination for snow.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

18 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Best car I ever drove in snow was a 2CV !  Very skinny tyres and very little torque  excellent combination for snow.

Your first Traffic car? :lol:

Trevor.

22 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have to agree. Many years ago, We lived on an estate at the top of a 2 mile long hill. I woke to see deepish snow so I phoned my workmate and told him I'd be walking to work so I'd be a bit late. He said, "Don't worry, I'll come and get you (in his 2CV). Skinny tyres, it's just like driving a bike," he said. Sure enough, 20 minutes later, there he was outside our flat. We drove into work and were still one of the first there. He explained, as Andy has said, skinny tyres and low torque, brilliant in the snow.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

1 hour ago, reluctant said:

Your first Traffic car? :lol:

Funny you should ask...........

8E9ADBF3-ECC0-41D8-8557-E2A77F9CE5B0.jpeg

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

You can see in the first clip that the range rovers tyres are not holding on to the snow (in the tread) whereas the fiats tyres are full of snow. Just a case of winter tyres vs summers.

On 20/02/2021 at 11:33, Mr Plodd said:

Funny you should ask...........

8E9ADBF3-ECC0-41D8-8557-E2A77F9CE5B0.jpeg

Ahhh them were the days when to be a traffic Plod you had to build your own.

Was this photo just before the panda themed paint job was done and which colour scheme did you go for, black and white or blue and white. 😉

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes: