No Citroen Sat Nav Map Updates for almost 12 months

My Citroen 2018 C4 Space Tourer came with a tom tom sat nav system that was updated perhaps 3 times a year . The last update  was Spring 2020. Since then  I have checked frequently on My Citroen app but since early last year I have been notified that  there is no update available as yet.  Whether this is because of Covid 19 and staff working from home (it is a common excuse for poor customer service these days)  I am not sure but I did understand that I would receive updates for three years after purchasing my  Citroen from new  in Oct 2018. Texts to Citroen via My Citroen app have not been responded to. I would be interested if anyone else has had similar problems with Citroen lately.

You do wonder how they could get out and about in the last year to do updates. Too many lockdowns

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

The thing is it is  Tom Tom software and maps andTomTom are still issuing regular map updates.

• 3 weeks later...

It's the same with Peugeot, the built-in Tomtom is excellent, but sadly let down by PSA taking control of the updates. The process for updating is very long and laborious - 45 minutes to download - 30 minutes to unpack the file onto a USB stick - 45 minutes to install in the car. The install is supposed to be done with the car running and stationary. I have always done it on a journey out and never had any problems.

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Why on earth does it take so long to update the (exceedingly expensive as an option) sat nav in cars when stand alone ones can be done in a pretty short space of time? Stand alone units get free lifetime updates whereas inbuilt units cost a small fortune ! It’s the same data/software :blink: Talk about a rip off! 

I have a Garmin stand alone unit, that updates via WI-Fi for free, the one in my car is an SD card that Mazda want over £100 for :o 

(Available off eBay for under £20, looks genuine and more importantly works perfectly) 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Because people with in-built savs are daft enough to pay. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Volvo issued their latest update 10 days ago.
It’s free to download.

It says it’s going to take up to 3 hours, but usually takes about 20 minutes.

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Why on earth does it take so long to update the (exceedingly expensive as an option) sat nav in cars when stand alone ones can be done in a pretty short space of time? Stand alone units get free lifetime updates whereas inbuilt units cost a small fortune ! It’s the same data/software :blink: Talk about a rip off! 

I have a Garmin stand alone unit, that updates via WI-Fi for free, the one in my car is an SD card that Mazda want over £100 for :o 

(Available off eBay for under £20, looks genuine and more importantly works perfectly) 

Did your Mazda not come with Satnav Andy?

my CX comes with free updates for three years, but I have to pay for the traffic subscription 

5 hours ago, WispMan said:

Not true. The command system in both of my Mercedes are updated as part of every service with no additional cost.

1 hour ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Did your Mazda not come with Satnav Andy?

my CX comes with free updates for three years, but I have to pay for the traffic subscription 

Yes did come with sat nav, but purchased at three years old. Previous owner had not done a single update on it. 

The stand alone sat nav is Garmin Camper, very useful when towing on the continent (do you remember those days.) as some of their roads can be a trifle “interesting”  at in excess of 12m overall length.

5 hours ago, WispMan said:

Theres a choice?? Well yes I suppose there is, you pay for the update, or you don’t! It’s just the obscene cost some charge for what should be free

22 minutes ago, Blackrat 51 said:

Not true. The command system in both of my Mercedes are updated as part of every service with no additional cost.

The command software on mine is updated at service time as well, but that doesn’t include the sat nav, are you sure yours is?? Or is that an assumption?

On 21/02/2021 at 17:23, Mr Plodd said:

Yes did come with sat nav, but purchased at three years old. Previous owner had not done a single update on it. 

The stand alone sat nav is Garmin Camper, very useful when towing on the continent (do you remember those days.) as some of their roads can be a trifle “interesting”  at in excess of 12m overall length.

Theres a choice?? Well yes I suppose there is, you pay for the update, or you don’t! It’s just the obscene cost some charge for what should be free

The command software on mine is updated at service time as well, but that doesn’t include the sat nav, are you sure yours is?? Or is that an assumption?

It’s far from an assumption.

My service records quite clearly state ‘sat nav updated’.

I’m now on my 5 th consecutive Mercedes and it’s been the same for all of them.

Why do you need a map update?

You can't go anywhere in lockdown.:P:P

12 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

That’s a silly response in no way justified with the use of emojis.

Lockdown will hopefully be easing and a great many people are making long awaited holiday plans.

I have been a key worker throughout the pandemic working stupidly long hours. An up to date sat nav makes my job so much easier.

And........ chill.

Being a 2018 model, does the Citroen come with Android Auto or Apple Carplay? 

I don't know why manufacturers bother with their own sat nav systems these days when the above are available. Google Maps (or Waze) updates automatically for life on your phone and all you need to do is plug in via USB or connect via a wireless means (probably bluetooth) on newer systems. 

Edited by swirly182

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

But not everyone has a car that new, or so equipped don’t forget ! 

On 21/02/2021 at 11:06, Mr Plodd said:

Why not just use a map ? :-)

1 hour ago, daveat92 said:

Well said !!:goodpost:

53 minutes ago, Blackrat 51 said:

That’s a silly response in no way justified with the use of emojis.

Lockdown will hopefully be easing and a great many people are making long awaited holiday plans.

I have been a key worker throughout the pandemic working stupidly long hours. An up to date sat nav makes my job so much easier.

Sorry, but have people forgotten how to use maps ???

2 minutes ago, Fly-Fifer said:

For exactly the same  reason I drive an automatic rather than a manual, a Mazda not a Ford, why I have mayonnaise not tomato sauce on my chips, because it’s my choice to do so! 

Maps are fine for long long distance planning, but no so good when trying to find a specific street in an unknown town. In addition it helps a lot when on very busy and complex motorway junctions,  such as those around Rotterdam at rush hour! 

9 minutes ago, Fly-Fifer said:

Well said !!:goodpost:

Oh dear.

I do 20 plus deliveries a day in very rural areas. 
I could spend two hours a day pouring over maps or I could spend two minutes inputting it into a sat nav.

Likewise I could do my job in a 30 year old Scammell or I could use my lovely new Scania.

Welcome to the 21 st century!

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

But not everyone has a car that new, or so equipped don’t forget ! 

Sorry, didn't mean it to come across like that. It was a general comment aimed towards the car manufacturers, not owners of existing cars 👍

We're in the process of swapping my wife's car for a 2017 Hyundai Tucson without a screen / sat nav. Sat nav models in our budget wouldn't have Android Auto. But, I will be swapping out the standard basic stereo for an aftermarket headunit / screen with Android Auto. Point is, it can be retrofitted to older models if desired. Addional cost once we have the car, yes, but in my opinion well worth it. 

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

I had a 2017 Peugeot and that had apple car play and a terrible thing called mirrorlink, now got a 2018 Citroen and that has android auto and apple carplay. I bet if the OP plugged in his phone via the USB port it would work as sat nav. I know it doesn’t solve the feeling of abandonment by Citroen for not fulfilling their promises though. 

17 hours ago, Blackrat 51 said:

Oh dear.

I do 20 plus deliveries a day in very rural areas. 
I could spend two hours a day pouring over maps or I could spend two minutes inputting it into a sat nav.

Likewise I could do my job in a 30 year old Scammell or I could use my lovely new Scania.

Welcome to the 21 st century!

Looks like the age old skills are dying out ?  Some probably wouldn't even know how to use a compass either ?

I once navigated my way out of central Barcelona by simply using the sun !!?   :-)

Hope your Sat Nav doesn't pack in on you, or lead you up a dead end as some do !

17 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

For exactly the same  reason I drive an automatic rather than a manual, a Mazda not a Ford, why I have mayonnaise not tomato sauce on my chips, because it’s my choice to do so! 

Maps are fine for long long distance planning, but no so good when trying to find a specific street in an unknown town. In addition it helps a lot when on very busy and complex motorway junctions,  such as those around Rotterdam at rush hour! 

I once navigated my way around central Barcelona by using the sun !  :-)

I usually plan a route and the satnav confirms my plan, but I rely on the traffic updates more than the directions when in the UK.

17 hours ago, Fly-Fifer said:

Easy to be flippant about.

However most road maps and road atlases are only updated if you are lucky once per year and if you don't want to be caught out with new road schemes, you need to purchase new ones annually.

Then, if you need to find a specific street or address, you need an A-Z for that particular area or several for different  areas, and updated ones for the new roads /estates that spring up.

Looking to find your way to an address using A-Z when it covers traversing many pages entails having to keep stopping to move on to the next page which in many cases isn't the next in the book, but may be many pages further on or back in the book.

I have travelled many hundreds of thousand miles over the past 50 odd years using maps, both in the UK and Europe and beyond in cars, on pushbikes, on motorbikes and walking and yes I do have and can use a compass, but never needed to use one in a car or motorbike, only when off road cycling or walking or in a boat, if I don't have a compass and I need a compass bearing for any reason I can find a good approximation using my analogue watch and the sun.

At night use the stars if you know them, the dipper an arm and fingers, if not get two sticks, push one stick into the ground until the tip of it is at your eye level, push  a taller stick such that the tips of the sticks line up on a bright star, as you look at them. After a few minutes, the star will appear to have moved, not really it's the earth that’s moving 😉 make note of which way the star is moving then, if up you face east, down west, right south, left north.

Similar during the day you need a stick about a foot or so long, two markers ( pebbles ) and your two feet, push the stick into the ground, put one marker at the end of the shadow, wait till the shadow moves then mark this with the second marker about 15 mins or so is best so there is a reasonable distance between the pebbles. Now with your back to the stick, stand with your left toe touching the first rock, and your right toe touching the second rock, you're looking North, to find East and West quite accurately, draw on the ground, or imagine a line between the two markers, the first shadow marker points  west,the second East.

Then there all the nature signs,moss usually on the  North side of a tree..........................I could go on.🙄

Back to the thread I've used a sat nav, ever since they first came out and became reasonably priced, my first one was an early Blaupunkt unit where the CD reader sat under a seat and the aerial was like a tin pillbox sat on the roof, my present one is a TomTom Go Premium which updates automatically very frequently, but I still have an old road Atlas in the boot and a phone should  it pack in.

Why use old technology when new is faster, more accurate and cheaper, the reason why I'm typing this on my laptop keyboard and not on my old manual typewriter in the loft.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Fly-Fifer said:

Looks like the age old skills are dying out ?  Some probably wouldn't even know how to use a compass either ?

I once navigated my way out of central Barcelona by simply using the sun !!?   :-)

Hope your Sat Nav doesn't pack in on you, or lead you up a dead end as some do !

I once navigated my way around central Barcelona by using the sun !  :-)

I can assure you my old skills are not dying out. I have navigated my way around most EU countries with a map in pre sat nav days and never had a problem. Now that we have the benefit of sat nav it makes sense to me to utilise it. Having said that I do like to glance at a map to check my journey.

If my sat nav did pack up on me I would simply use a map. My preferred option is Collins Truckers Atlas.

Why would you need to navigate by sun, did you forget your map?

21 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I agree with Mr Plodd, it is that final address/location that a satnav  is  a great help, plus helps you get back on track when diversions are put in place on your route....