Moving caravan from one storage facility to another during lockdown. Allowed?

Message added by CT Advertising,

logoPhantom250px.pngSecure and reliable tracking system for caravan, motor home and car owners. High-quality security at affordable prices, tailored to your specific needs. Find out more

Our current storage agreement is up for renewal and I have found a more local facility to me which actually has space. I'd like to move my caravan now but worried about the lockdown restrictions.

Storage facilities are allowed to be open and i have a pre-booked appointment to drop it off.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences moving there caravan during lockdown or if there is any advice out there on doing it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a ridiculously cautious, over reaction.  Simply go and move the caravan - it is reasonable to do so and essential as the storage contract has come to an end.  

I have no idea who Gareth is or where he is based but since you asked the question then Yes I would and I'm sure others on here would be willing to make a contribution.

If you need to plan “a response” then you clearly understand that what you are doing might require a pre-planned response to justify you doing it.   The guidance is simple, “Stay at home”  b

Posted Images

Strictly speaking this probably isn't a permissible reason for such a journey. You don't mention where the two locations are but I'm guessing they are not both very local and close together which you might get away with albeit still strictly wrong.

Your morally and possible legal options are:

1. try and negotiate a short extension with your current storage site until such time as restrictions are lifted - argue you want to move but can't due to lockdown - for the same reason they are possibly not under pressure to re-use your space
  2. employ a commercial mover who is allowed to work to do the move for you

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

It is virtually impossible to predict how any individual copper would react in this scenario.

KnausCol makes some good points!

It doesn't sound essential to me but slightly more important than a rave!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

This really isn't too difficult to comprehend.

The Covid regulations require us ALL to stay at home. There are some exemptions for essential reasons but moving a caravan from one place to another purely for personal convenience is highly unlikely to be essential unless you feel confident that you can convince a police officer otherwise to avoid a £200 fixed penalty notice. The further the distance involved, the harder it will be to justify.

As Legal Eagle says probably not , however I work on the roads and the traffic around here is rediculous; and many, many of the journey reasons totally not within the guidance!

Thanks all for the comments. There are two things here, the guidelines and the law.

@Legal Eagle Which part of the SI are you referring to? From what I've seen the law allows travel to buy goods or obtain services from any business listed within the exceptions. Storage facilities are listed business. It Would help me understand to as you are confusing Guidelines and Law in your statement.

I will speak to the current storage facility as see what they say. Was maybe hoping someone could shed some light on the woolliness of guidelines vs law so I could at least put a case to the current storage so i can comfortably say "I can't move it" vs "I don't want to move it...."

Edited by gareth273
7 minutes ago, gareth273 said:

Thanks all for the comments. There are two things here, the guidelines and the law.

@Legal Eagle Which part of the SI are you referring to? From what I've seen the law allows travel to buy goods or obtain services from any business listed within the exceptions. Storage facilities are listed business. It Would help me understand to as you are confusing Guidelines and Law in your statement.

I am confusing nothing. The regulations state what you must do - Stay at home.

The guidelines state what you should do if you have to use an exemption for an allowed or essential reason - Stay local.

I cannot find caravan storage in the listing for businesses that can stay open but I did find this:

Storage and distribution facilities including delivery drop off or collection points, are also able to open where the facilities are in the premises of a business allowed to remain open. For example, you can return an order to a drop box in a supermarket or drop it off for collection in a newsagents. Deliveries of supplies can also go ahead for premises that are otherwise required to close by law.

That seems to be referring to storage and distribution facilities located within an essential business that is permitted to stay open, not a stand alone storage facility.

I read somewhere (although cannot for the life of me find it now) that the Government, in discussion with the Caravan storage industry, had decided that Caravan storage yards were effectively Car Parks, which are allowed to be open, and therefore they could remain open.  And receiving services from a business that is allowed to be open is one of the reasonable excuses to leave home.  It is still not something I would want to argue with an irate Police officer though.

Being in a similar position to the OP I know that both the yard where I currently have my 'van and the one I want to move it to are open with sensible restrictions (visit alone, some facilities closed, etc.). I'm currently paying for storage of one caravan in two places because I don't want to lose the space closer to home.  A caravan on the move right now is going to be a prime magnet for the police.  

In my case I'm content to sit tight and only move it once restrictions are finally relaxed.  It's expensive but it beats an awkward conversation with a Police man and a potential fine.  More importantly, regardless of the legal position, it is simply the right thing to do right now.

19 hours ago, KnausCol said:

Strictly speaking this probably isn't a permissible reason for such a journey. You don't mention where the two locations are but I'm guessing they are not both very local and close together which you might get away with albeit still strictly wrong.

Your morally and possible legal options are:

1. try and negotiate a short extension with your current storage site until such time as restrictions are lifted - argue you want to move but can't due to lockdown - for the same reason they are possibly not under pressure to re-use your space
  2. employ a commercial mover who is allowed to work to do the move for you

What a ridiculously cautious, over reaction.  Simply go and move the caravan - it is reasonable to do so and essential as the storage contract has come to an end.  

1 hour ago, mw3230 said:

Great advice, but will you pay the fine for him if it turns out be the wrong advice?

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

11 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Great advice, but will you pay the fine for him if it turns out be the wrong advice?

I have no idea who Gareth is or where he is based but since you asked the question then Yes I would and I'm sure others on here would be willing to make a contribution.

Our caravan is in storage 7 miles away and we haven't visited it during lockdown as we understand that this isn't really an essential trip. If it were me, I might be inclined to see if the current yard would provide a pro rata extension on their contract (not an unreasonable request) until lockdown eases, then move the van at that point. 

To be honest Gareth, I don't think that anybody on here is qualified to give you an answer, (yes, even Legal Eagle), the various police forces around the country seem to interpret the rules in different ways. I can only suggest that you do what I did when I received an alarm call from my tracker company on the very first day of lockdown. They told me that my caravan tracker had been activated, but the caravan wasn't moving. I dialled 101 and asked the police if I was ok to visit the caravan, (stored about 10 miles away). The sergeant said that it was ok to check as an alarm had been triggered and if I was stopped by police, I should give his name and badge number, (both supplied by him).

After all, if your case DID get to court, do you think that the judge would be impressed if you told him/her that a group of people on a caravan website said that in their opinion it would be OK? No, me neither.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Further to the post/s by LE regarding  businesses providing services does the following not apply?

Businesses that provide services (rather than goods) - such as accountants, solicitors, and estate agents - are not required to close,................

This is from the same place that LE quotes, and goes on to say unless they are 'listed below' which they are not.

As others have said, Gareth will have to make his own decision as none of us can do any other than give him our opinion.

What happens if we all bend the rules a little to suit what we wish to do? 

We are allowed to view houses so should I drive from Cumbria to Cornwall to view a house? People are doing that. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

14 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

Further to the post/s by LE regarding  businesses providing services does the following not apply?

Businesses that provide services (rather than goods) - such as accountants, solicitors, and estate agents - are not required to close,................

This is from the same place that LE quotes, and goes on to say unless they are 'listed below' which they are not.

As others have said, Gareth will have to make his own decision as none of us can do any other than give him our opinion.

The fact that a business is allowed to remain open does not necessarily mean that any individual is allowed to drive to it under any given set of circumstances.

e.g. The fact that a McDonalds drive through is open does not mean that you can drive 200 miles to get there!

If he was fined £200.00, he would be in pocket by not having to pay two storage fees.

There's a couple of sites not far from us, where people leave touring caravans permanently pitched. Last Monday morning it was announced on local radio that they were both under risk of being flooded by midday. Would moving ones van to a safer location be considered reasonable in these circumstances? 

51 minutes ago, WispMan said:

What happens if we all bend the rules a little to suit what we wish to do? 

We are allowed to view houses so should I drive from Cumbria to Cornwall to view a house? People are doing that. 

I was asking a question, did the info I posted 'allow' for taking a van for a service however, your mention of 'bending' the rules reinforces my view that that is how we see the actions of anyone doing something we might not do.

If a premises is allowed to be open to provide services then would it not seem  that, where 'reasonable' as the guidance suggests, it can be done?

As for travelling to look at houses, as is reportedly happening, I am quite happy with the amount of rain we get in Cornwall, so Cumbria is out!!

48 minutes ago, Stevan said:

The fact that a business is allowed to remain open does not necessarily mean that any individual is allowed to drive to it under any given set of circumstances.

e.g. The fact that a McDonalds drive through is open does not mean that you can drive 200 miles to get there!

And I did not say that it was.

The test would be is it reasonable?

I am now off to guess the length of a random piece of string.

Edited by Allan Guest
21 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

There's a couple of sites not far from us, where people leave touring caravans permanently pitched. Last Monday morning it was announced on local radio that they were both under risk of being flooded by midday. Would moving ones van to a safer location be considered reasonable in these circumstances? 

Of course it is reasonable, but only to a safe place locally, not taking it 120 miles to your brothers, sisters, uncles drive.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

1 hour ago, Townie said:

To be honest Gareth, I don't think that anybody on here is qualified to give you an answer, (yes, even Legal Eagle), the various police forces around the country seem to interpret the rules in different ways. I can only suggest that you do what I did when I received an alarm call from my tracker company on the very first day of lockdown. They told me that my caravan tracker had been activated, but the caravan wasn't moving. I dialled 101 and asked the police if I was ok to visit the caravan, (stored about 10 miles away). The sergeant said that it was ok to check as an alarm had been triggered and if I was stopped by police, I should give his name and badge number, (both supplied by him).

After all, if your case DID get to court, do you think that the judge would be impressed if you told him/her that a group of people on a caravan website said that in their opinion it would be OK? No, me neither.

I agree. It boils down to how the purpose of any given journey is interpreted in relation to the law.

Check your conscience first though. As the new public information adverts ask - will you be able to look a victim, loved one, doctor or nurse in the eyes and tell them you're helping by staying at home?

11 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

I agree. It boils down to how the purpose of any given journey is interpreted in relation to the law.

Check your conscience first though. As the new public information adverts ask - will you be able to look a victim, loved one, doctor or nurse in the eyes and tell them you're helping by staying at home?

At least my conscience is clear. MOT year Oct 2019 to Oct 2020 I did 600 miles. That included taking the caravan for a service during the lockdown relaxation and visiting the caravan for the Swift recall at the start of 2020, before lockdown.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

58 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

The test would be is it reasonable?

I am now off to guess the length of a random piece of string.

This is actually the crux of the matter. The Covid restrictions, and much other legislation for that matter is littered with what could be called "fuzzy" words such as "local", "reasonable", "essential" etc. Words which everybody thinks they understand but which, in reality, have no agreed meaning. Look them up in a dictionary and all you find is a precise list of other "fuzzy" words.

To an airline, London to Glasgow is a local flight, but to many people local is only as far as the shop at the end of the road! 

To some people essential shopping is to actually put food on the table, to others it is to buy the right brand of pate de foi gras!

Who wants to guess at the opinion of the copper who sees someone moving a caravan from one storage site to another?