Alicanto grande Porto. Good bad or indifferent?

Hi all. 
does anyone own a Bailey alicanto grande porto?

I am seriously considering, although not been able to go look is holding things back. 
I was just wondering if anyone has one, and can pass on thoughts of good / bad points, things to look out for etc. 
Looking forward to your thoughts 

WE really thought it lovely when we looked round but the Bucanneer did it for the equipment it came with. CLose though and it's great vfm.

Nothing beats looking yourself, what some consider to be serious drawbacks with certain models others are not bothered in the slightest about! 

I would think the biggest thing to consider is the extra width and whether your comfortable towing it. 

I have a Bailey Phoenix which, although narrower (and by comparison is poverty spec)  has pretty much the same basic layout and we love it.  The Alicante looks superb but two things put me off.

The price (My Phoenix was £11k less :rolleyes:

The weight, I am limited to 1600kg with current car.

Have fun poring over the brochure but nothing beats actually  seeing and touching.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

As Mr Plodd above.  The best is always find one and spend a few house playing house in it, but you can't at the present.

Not the Porto but we do have the Estoril (10 months and counting )  Three trips out so far.  To be fair a Porto would be in our possession but for personal reasons we cannot consider a twin wheeler.  The Estoril has exactly the same front end and kitchen which we love,  Previous three vans have all been Valencia's.  The extra width makes such a difference to the feel and you can pass each other without doing the caravan two step.  Alde heating is what Alde heating always is - super.  Shower and lighting all meet with SWMBO's approval.  

The kitchen works fine for us with plenty of storage.  Some people on the Face Book, Bailey Alicanto Group have purchased an extra flip up worktop, but with Just two of us I shan't bother unless requested.

Some friends also members of the Bailey Owners Club have Porto's and they are very happy with theirs.  The extra width when towing has not been as issue at all.  When you look at the millions of vehicle on the road of 8ft or more it's obvious that you can get almost anywhere.  

Some people have been caught out by the battery box not taking their existing batter due to height so check that if it applies.  It's not a major deal anyway as the box is inside and easy too get at and modify the lid.  Don't think it's gone wrong when using the cooker when the cooker fan kicks in.  It's meant to and does run for some mins after you switch every thing off.  If you like to watch T.V. with it on the front chest of drawers then you need to  get a power and aerial point put in as part of the deal.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I agree with Mr Plodd, with that price you really need to see it in the flesh and see if it suits you. If the Practical Caravan surveys are correct it should be better built than the Buccaneer, but not up to the Coachman Laser and about on a par with the Swift Elegance.

Not sure how you use it but the central bathroom is very useful if you tour with other couples as it gives a level of privacy at night that other layouts cannot match.

when looking at Bailey caravans, I found that they are all basic and then each model has more gadgets added which also increased the mtplm  and the price, of course.  The 8 ft wide is also longer and a great deal heavier, so that would be my starting point.  I haven't looked at the model in the OP though I have in the past looked at other 8ft models.   There is a bit more room by the kitchen and between the benches, not something I would crave after though, The extra's in my van is  to my liking and we also have the blown air heating which I prefer and as mentioned the price is a lot more than my van, but if you can afford it and like it then go for it, I don't think the extra few inches will make much difference on the road. 

2 hours ago, joanie said:when looking at Bailey caravans, I found that they are all basic and then each model has more gadgets added which also increased the mtplm  and the price, of course.  

As a way to confirm that my pal bought a Bailey Cabrera, which is exactly the same size/layout as my Phoenix (it’s actually a whole one inch wider apparently) 

He bought his 18 months prior to me buying my Phoenix (Dealer special loads of extras). He paid £6500 more than I did! (£25800 compared to £19300) 

The only real difference is the Cabrera has Alde and mine has blown air, the furnishings in his are a bit “plusher”  and it has different doors to the overhead lockers, both have ATC, solar panel and alarm. I don’t have central locking (but turning a key isn’t exactly a struggle for me)  I cannot see where the additional “worth” of  £6500 is. Or to put it a more representative way, is his worth 33% more than mine! 

My thoughts are that the difference in price makes no difference whatsoever in how the two caravan models  “perform” as they are basically the same! The difference in price buys me an awful lot of nights on a campsite/ferry crossings/wine/meals out etc.

So my advice to anyone thinking of a new caravan is to look very carefully at what you actually get for your money with the top of the range model compared to the more “basic” version, you may be surprised! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.