Dometic fridge - missing parts

Hi All, we took delivery of our 2021 coachman acacia back in November but it was delivered without the second fridge shelf and only one door shelf when I checked with the dealer all their new stock was the same. When checking with Coachman they were told domestic had ran out of parts so the caravans were sent out anyway.  

Is anyone  in the same position ie still waiting for parts or have you received yours?

Thanks 

Take anything your dealer says about any “bought in” item with a large pinch of salt. 
we suffered door bin failure. Dealer stated not covered by warranty. When second one broke, I phoned Dometic to complain. Was told they were warranty items, and a known fault. 
Moral is, give Domestic a call, and get their opinion directly. 

have you told your dealer what Coachman said  and will you be getting the missing items at some time?   Sometimes we have found that it's who you Talk to at the dealers as there's good and bad everywhere, don't you think. 

By one door shelf, do you mean one shelf above the bottom shelf or just the bottom shelf?

We have a VIP on order for March, and I am pretty sure that the fridge door just has the bottom shelf for tall bottles (wine, milk and more wine etc!) and one other shelf above it, rather than two shelves we have had in every fridge in every other van we have ever had.

From memory, the reason for that is that the salad tray at the bottom of the fridge sticks out more and the bottom shelf sits over the top of the salad tray when the door is closed, so the bottom door shelf is higher up the door than we have been used to previously.

Not sure wether the Acadia is the same?

Edited by hp100425ev

Hi, I  looked on the Dometic website which shows two shelves in the fridge and a lower door 'bottle holder' type shelf and an upper door shelf we use for items ie cheese. It was coachman who informed the dealer about the shortage after the dealer contacted them after I raised the issue with them . The 2021 has the latest model fridge. Maybe different to the VIP.

And I think the VIP has the next size up

The fridge in the 2021 VIP is the one that can be opened from either side, think its called the Dometic10.

In Acadia - NEW Dometic 10.5 XS 92 litre electronic fridge freezer

VIP - NEW Dometic series 10 series 92 litre universal handed electronic fridge freezer

Yes, different modules .

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would ask again if anyone has received the missing fridge parts from Coachman? 

Or are your fridge insides complete ?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Just picked up my new Bailey Phoenix and the same. Only 1 shelf in the door and 1 metal one. Seems like a recurring theme here. Has any one had any joy getting any extra shelves that should be there to start with

We also have just picked up a new Bailey Phoenix and also only have one wire shelf and one door shelf in our Dometic 10 series fridge.  Our Dealer said all caravans arrived like this, however is chasing up for us but I believe due to supply issues due to pandemic the extra shelves are not available yet. I for one will not be letting this rest and will be chasing up every week until I get the missing shelves. The manual clearly shows 2 wire shelves and 2 door shelves and it does not describe them as optional extras 

Just been on to the dealer and he is putting in a warranty claim for them. Will wait and see

This subject is a good lesson to all of us now when we buy a new caravan at handover to look into every fridge, oven and locker/cupboard to make sure we have 100% that which we think we are buying.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update we received out missing items last Thursday. 

Thanks to Glossop Caravans for chasing this up for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone 

ive just picked up a Bailey Phoenix 659 same problem as everyone else I door shelf and one normal shelf. My dealer chipping sodbury caravans said they all come in like this so I contacted Bailey direct. 

their response was

“I  can confirm that the Dometic 10.5xs has one door bin and one shelf.

You can purchase more as an optional extra viawww.Primaleisure.co.uk

Kind regards 

Customer Services Co-ordinator

Email: 

Aftercare@baileyofbristol.co.uk

howecer I’ve gone back to them complaining  as this is not what the sales literature shows and  I may contact trading standards 

8 hours ago, Sarah James said:

Hi everyone 

ive just picked up a Bailey Phoenix 659 same problem as everyone else I door shelf and one normal shelf. My dealer chipping sodbury caravans said they all come in like this so I contacted Bailey direct. 

their response was

“I  can confirm that the Dometic 10.5xs has one door bin and one shelf.

You can purchase more as an optional extra viawww.Primaleisure.co.uk

Kind regards 

Customer Services Co-ordinator

Email: 

Aftercare@baileyofbristol.co.uk

howecer I’ve gone back to them complaining  as this is not what the sales literature shows and  I may contact trading standards 

We have exactly the same problem. We  went to pick up our 640 on Saturday and noticed the lack of shelves. We do not consider a fridge with no shelves in it fit for purpose. I’m not letting it rest!

Unfortunately the van has so many other faults from poor build and pdi (if it even had one) that we left it there. I am close to rejecting it altogether  but will give them one chance to sort it out. 

It could be that Dometic have decided to save themselves a few quid on each fridge they produce and are now supplying them with single shelves whilst offering additional ones as “optional” (and doubtless ridiculously expensive) “accessories” Oh cynical me ;)

Has anyone contacted Dometic directly to ask them if there is indeed a shortage of these shelves?  

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

7 hours ago, handyandy said:

Unfortunately the van has so many other faults from poor build and pdi (if it even had one) that we left it there. I am close to rejecting it altogether  but will give them one chance to sort it out. 

As the owner of an early Phoenix which I have had no issues at all I woukd be interested in what faults you identified so can I ask you to share them with us. It might assist others in being able to identify possibly similar faults on their proposed purchases when the go to collect them. 

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

As the owner of an early Phoenix which I have had no issues at all I woukd be interested in what faults you identified so can I ask you to share them with us. It might assist others in being able to identify possibly similar faults on their proposed purchases when the go to collect them. 

I think you must have brought from a better dealer Andy!  It is mainly bad fit and finish such as drawers not working, cupboard not latching, bed frame hitting side table when raised, worktop edging short, shower hose corroded and vent board brackets broken. There is also a hole in the front chest where a screw has been put in the back of the panel and come out the front!

All stuff that should have been picked up on the pdi and most easily rectified. 

The worst problem is that one of the chassis bolts hasn’t been put in properly and is sticking up (about 10-12mm) inside the van right by the side of the bed where you walk. I didn’t go underneath and look of it even had a nut on it (it was raining!) but I suspect not. The dealer seemed unsure how they would rectify this, or even if they could!

It isn’t all bad as the exterior and bodywork are perfect. 

We still like the van and think it is the best option. It will just be what else they damage trying to put this lot right.

I now have zero confidence in the dealer. 

Heavens!! I can certainly understand your dissatisfaction, I dread to think how I would have felt if my expensive and shiny new purchase had been in such a poor condition. 

All I can say is that my van, from Chipping Sodbury Caravans, was pretty much perfect when we picked it up. I did find a bit of sawdust and the odd screw when we got it home, and one of the fixings for an internal wall between loo and bedroom needed repositioning by a few mm (which took me all of 5 minutes to sort out)  Whether that’s down to a thorough PDI or I was just lucky to get a good ‘un from the factory I don’t know, but two years on we are still more than happy with our Phoenix.

Edited by Mr Plodd

3 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Heavens!! I can certainly understand your dissatisfaction, I dread to think how I would have felt if my expensive and shiny new purchase had been in such a poor condition. 

All I can say is that my van, from Chipping Sodbury Caravans, was pretty much perfect when we picked it up. I did find a bit of sawdust and the odd screw when we got it home, and one of the fixings for an internal wall between loo and bedroom needed repositioning by a few mm (which took me all of 5 minutes to sort out)  Whether that’s down to a thorough PDI or I was just lucky to get a good ‘un from the factory I don’t know, but two years on we are still more than happy with our Phoenix.

Andy. You obviously got a bad one from Chipping Sodbury caravans.

I found nowt wrong with ours! The same caravan as you!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I don’t consider it a bad one, especially when compared to the appalling condition some seem to be. It does tend to show that a decent PDI is vital, and clearly is a rarity! 

Yes it is very disappointing. Here is the front drawer, which pretty much sums things up. The dealer was supposed to call yesterday with their plan of action. Nothing so far. 

To add insult to injury, when we ordered in October we also ordered the weight upgrade. The van arrived at the dealer in early January so they have had plenty of time to get it ready. On collection we were told that they hadn’t got the weight upgrade yet and it would take two months to get!

99208B8D-7F1C-4051-9F35-AB066AF71005.png

Looks to me like the RH drawer runner hasn’t been full fitted down, have a look underneath, all might be clear then. 

As for the weight upgrade, well  I dealt directly with Bailey, I think I got it by return of post !  Tell the dealer to forget it and contact Bailey yourself. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Looks to me like the RH drawer runner hasn’t been full fitted down, have a look underneath, all might be clear then. 

As for the weight upgrade, well  I dealt directly with Bailey, I think I got it by return of post !  Tell the dealer to forget it and contact Bailey yourself. 

They are telescopic slides now.  It looks like the left runner was fitted lower to avoid the back of the socket, which probably means the right one is in fact too high! It is just a mess. I don’t think the left runner is even level. It has twisted the wooden drawer front. 

I could go to Bailey for the upgrade but it would be out of my pocket then as it was thrown in as part of the deal. 

I did get a (very good) quote from Chipping Sodbury too but decided they were a bit far away. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!